Definitive Audiophile pressings

yea i hate pushing FOMO but this one seems to be OOS everywhere. worth picking up a copy if ya see it in the wild. can't remember the last time amazon removed the buy button on a new release vinyl haha.
Sheesh. I didn’t even bother w/ this one bc I assumed it’d be a massive release, readily available without having to go back to the dark days of Covid mad-rush vinyl-mania.

I’ve been on a healthy (for me and my wallet) vinyl buying diet and figured I’d pick it up at some point without much hassle but, alas.

Music Millennium still shows in stock, and I just ordered a copy to pick up in-store. Their online inventory accuracy isn’t always great, and I’ve had a couple orders canceled there, so fingers crossed. And they charge more than msrp. I suspect there are copies to be found with some searching around other online outlets like RSD releases.

Sheesh. I didn’t even bother w/ this one bc I assumed it’d be a massive release, readily available without having to go back to the dark days of Covid mad-rush vinyl-mania.

I’ve been on a healthy (for me and my wallet) vinyl buying diet and figured I’d pick it up at some point without much hassle but, alas.

Music Millennium still shows in stock, and I just ordered a copy to pick up in-store. Their online inventory accuracy isn’t always great, and I’ve had a couple orders canceled there, so fingers crossed. And they charge more than msrp. I suspect there are copies to be found with some searching around other online outlets like RSD releases.
I have a feeling there will be stock that continues to show up, but definitely one that caught my eye at how quick it was “selling out” the day of release. I too have not been ordering much before the actual release date, but this one got me.

it's great because it means more reissues are likely coming from their catalogue. Rhino has done a nice job with most of their reissues in the past so it'll be interesting to see which records they do aside from 77.
I’d love Cars-quality reissues of Fear of Music and Remain in Light. I know there are plenty of good versions of the latter out there, but the Cars reissue set a nice bar for what’s possible for albums that already had good copies out there. I have a very average copy of Fear of Music — mostly bc of the condition of my old copy.

Likewise, a legit (full length) and good quality release of the Rome show w/ Belew/Worrell/et al (or any show from that tour if another was recorded). I have ”The Name of this Band,” and that’s a nice surrogate, but I’d like the full deal.

A few at yella dawg

How was the shipping box this time?

I dunno what it is with Rhino fulfillment, but without fail, it seems like it takes them over a month to even send me a shipping notice. We'll see how long this one takes....but last time I didn't get The Cars until 5 weeks after ordering and they accidentally sent me the wrong 2nd record with it. Coltrane was 4+ weeks to arrive from purchase date.

Since I didn't get those first 2 titles, I have nothing to compare to, but it seemed to be packaged fine. I didn't have any issues at least.

Since I didn't get those first 2 titles, I have nothing to compare to, but it seemed to be packaged fine. I didn't have any issues at least.
Thanks! They shipped in a cheap generic mailer last time so lots of people ended up with bad corner dings. I was spared but was a bit surprised at how cheap the mailer was for a place that charged a decent amount for shipping

Thanks! They shipped in a cheap generic mailer last time so lots of people ended up with bad corner dings. I was spared but was a bit surprised at how cheap the mailer was for a place that charged a decent amount for shipping

It's nothing special - but it seems to have held up fine.

20230819_025154.jpg
20230819_025200.jpg

Here’s what the guy from Rhino said when asked about how many were pressed and how they determine quantities:

“We gauge demand like any other label via our commerce and sales department. However, I cannot share the amount pressed, but can confirm it's a very large number. For it to ship clean is a testament to the fact that this catalogue has been under-served for far too long. Here's to what's (potentially) next...”

He also said Amazon’s allotment is sold out in the US (Canada still has some). I’m glad this has been doing well for them so we are likely to see a bunch of other talking heads reissues.

I’m intrigued by the Replacements box that’s coming out soon too.

Hasn’t Talking Heads all been reissued over the last few years, what about the Vast empire of music that has Never Been.
Here’s what the guy from Rhino said when asked about how many were pressed and how they determine quantities:

“We gauge demand like any other label via our commerce and sales department. However, I cannot share the amount pressed, but can confirm it's a very large number. For it to ship clean is a testament to the fact that this catalogue has been under-served for far too long. Here's to what's (potentially) next...”

He also said Amazon’s allotment is sold out in the US (Canada still has some). I’m glad this has been doing well for them so we are likely to see a bunch of other talking heads reissues.

I’m intrigued by the Replacements box that’s coming out soon too.

A few at yella dawg

Got the last copy, thanks!

After listening to the UHQR FLAC files of Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue quite a bit this last year I decided that I finally need a high quality vinyl copy of this!

I still don't love it anywhere near enough to drop 100+ on it but I see that I could get a new Japanese "Jazz Analog Legendary Collection" copy for about $40 which is a much more attractive price. I can't find a lot of information on this pressing but people on Discogs are showing it quite a bit of love with a few people ranking it just behind the UHQR and MoFi copies. I'm thinking as someone that's not a die-hard fan, this should be a solid copy to grab in the 50 or less range?

Randomly got the doors record today even though I ordered with van Morrison and the rest of the rhino red bundle….came in this crappy mailer with corner dings
View attachment 180361

Yeah...not a fan of those. Specially when Rhino ships with UPS Surepost. The extra drop-off to USPS just seems like more can go wrong.

After listening to the UHQR FLAC files of Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue quite a bit this last year I decided that I finally need a high quality vinyl copy of this!

I still don't love it anywhere near enough to drop 100+ on it but I see that I could get a new Japanese "Jazz Analog Legendary Collection" copy for about $40 which is a much more attractive price. I can't find a lot of information on this pressing but people on Discogs are showing it quite a bit of love with a few people ranking it just behind the UHQR and MoFi copies. I'm thinking as someone that's not a die-hard fan, this should be a solid copy to grab in the 50 or less range?
So the Ryan K Smith mono cut is VERY good and under $30.

I don’t have the KoB from the Jazz Analog Collection series but do have a few others from that series. I think they are solid! Have nice jackets as well. The 33 UHQR is still my go to for stereo.

Hasn’t Talking Heads all been reissued over the last few years, what about the Vast empire of music that has Never Been.

They were reissued in 2009. But they have not been 🔥RE🔥ISSUED🔥 in a way that makes a company a lot more money

Most of them got reissued/repressed over the years for the various "Rocktober" and "Start Your Ear Off Right", etc. campaigns - they were mostly, if not all, represses from the CB cut 2009 releases - The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads was from 2013.

The Boom Boom cut of Remain In Light is from 2006 and I don't see how that gets any better.

They are pretty good and still cheap if these new releases get a bit spendy.

I wouldn't mind seeing the later albums get the same treatment - they don't seem too popular, but I like Little Creatures, True Stories, and Naked.

Last edited:
Back