Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

Nice to see Kassi Valazza featured in Bandcamp's Best Country rundown for May, but there are some other gems in here as well. Check out the really excellent solo debut from Dean Johnson (also in Sons of Rainier), and the Doc Watson tribute I Am a Pilgrim is fantastic – with an all-star cast that ranges from Dolly Parton to Jeff Parker to Yasmin Williams.

Last edited:
Nice to see Kassi Valazza featured in Bandcamp's Best Country rundown for May, but there are some other gems in here as well. Check out the really excellent solo debut from Dean Johnson (also in Sons of Rainier), and the Doc Watson tribute I Am a Pilgrim is fantastic – with an all-star cast that ranges from Dolly Parton to Jeff Parker to Yasmin Williams.

LOVE the Doc Watson tribute!

Is there a way to subscribe so that I get this list in my inbox every month?

Is there a way to subscribe so that I get this list in my inbox every month?
Man, there must be, given that I do receive it – but unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how to go about doing it.

So the Dean Johnson release is like 13 years in the making. I just checked, and there are still 61 copies of the "My Trusty Horse Blue" variant (out of 1000) still available.

From Mama Bird's promo: ‘Nothing for Me, Please’ is nine songs of heartache, waltzing shadows, toxic admissions, torched poetry, and existential musings. It was recorded live in a barren living room in New Orleans with no microphone separation. There is a sonic quality of a smoldering fire.

Don't sleep on this one friends.

Man, there must be, given that I do receive it – but unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how to go about doing it.

So the Dean Johnson release is like 13 years in the making. I just checked, and there are still 61 copies of the "My Trusty Horse Blue" variant (out of 1000) still available.

From Mama Bird's promo: ‘Nothing for Me, Please’ is nine songs of heartache, waltzing shadows, toxic admissions, torched poetry, and existential musings. It was recorded live in a barren living room in New Orleans with no microphone separation. There is a sonic quality of a smoldering fire.

Don't sleep on this one friends.

Yeah, this guy is great l, he’s in the band Sons Of Rainier from up here. @jdr2187 is a big fan if I remember correctly.

Yeah new Isbell is great. When We Were Close was easily my favorite on first listen and maybe my favorite song on any album of his since SMTF.

I will always have a soft spot for JTE. There was a time I probably considered him my favorite artist. I went to see The Swell Season at the Ryman years ago and by chance JTE was opening the show. It was the first time I’d heard of him and it’s honestly what kind of started shifting me towards this style of music. The next 2 times after that, that I saw JTE, one of them Isbell was in his band, and the next time Isbell was opening the show. I have such fond memories of those years and this song took me right back there. Just a killer tune.

Yeah new Isbell is great. When We Were Close was easily my favorite on first listen and maybe my favorite song on any album of his since SMTF.

I will always have a soft spot for JTE. There was a time I probably considered him my favorite artist. I went to see The Swell Season at the Ryman years ago and by chance JTE was opening the show. It was the first time I’d heard of him and it’s honestly what kind of started shifting me towards this style of music. The next 2 times after that, that I saw JTE, one of them Isbell was in his band, and the next time Isbell was opening the show. I have such fond memories of those years and this song took me right back there. Just a killer tune.

The last time Isbell was in Vancouver before I saw him in February was back in 2011 with JTE - I wasn't up on either of them at the time, but present me definitely wishes I were at that show.

In a year full of work, Isbell is also marking the 10th anniversary of the widely acclaimed Southeastern in September by releasing a new edition that includes a live recording of the original album, demos, and new packaging.

YES!

He mentioned something exciting was in the pipeline for the anniversary this year, and I was hoping it would include a live version of the album!

(I actually meant to mention his comments about the anniversary on @Aron's status but hadn't gotten around to doubling back yet - so tagging him here since there are even more details in your link)

YES!

He mentioned something exciting was in the pipeline for the anniversary this year, and I was hoping it would include a live version of the album!

(I actually meant to mention his comments about the anniversary on @Aron's status but hadn't gotten around to doubling back yet - so tagging him here since there are even more details in your link)

I assume the live shows will be from December 2022 in Knoxville when he played Southeastern from front to back two nights in a row. I know some people who went that night who said they were serious about no photos or video being taken that night. I saw him play Southeastern from front to back in 2014. I think he has only done that 3 times now.

I didn't realize all of thes albums were released on same day.

Back