Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

I need the info on these extraterrestrial country radio stations! I need to hear Alf sing about
I need the info on these extraterrestrial country radio stations! I need to hear Alf sing about wrangling cats in his hover pickup.
Here ya go:

Also, for @Jeff Lerner and others interested, the Best Country Music on Bandcamp for June just posted.

Standouts for me include Jess Williamson, Caitlin Canty, Isbell and the Moon Bros EP. Jenny Don't & the Spurs is a fun local band here in Portland, also recommended.

Also, for @Jeff Lerner and others interested, the Best Country Music on Bandcamp for June just posted.

Standouts for me include Jess Williamson, Caitlin Canty, Isbell and the Moon Bros EP. Jenny Don't & the Spurs is a fun local band here in Portland, also recommended.
I really like the Kody Norris Show album too!

Good job consequence, you know you help the gatekeepers when you don’t tag the other almost twenty artists you mention in the article and only the two that you are saying were let through….
🙄

Good job consequence, you know you help the gatekeepers when you don’t tag the other almost twenty artists you mention in the article and only the two that you are saying were let through….
🙄
It’s impressive that it took 3 people and a few hundred words to get to “water is wet.”

It’s impressive that it took 3 people and a few hundred words to get to “water is wet.”
I don’t know I found it interesting enough. It was also a needed reminder to me that Wallen is very indicative of how little it has all changed over the years.

(Also this is pure simple why I don’t understand the gatekeeping nonsense thrown at Wynton Marsalis… he’s a conservative Jazz musician with a platform and a loud voice that most ignore. Nashville actively harms and props up the artists it choices to, this is gatekeeping.)

I don’t know I found it interesting enough. It was also a needed reminder to me that Wallen is very indicative of how little it has all changed over the years.

(Also this is pure simple why I don’t understand the gatekeeping nonsense thrown at Wynton Marsalis… he’s a conservative Jazz musician with a platform and a loud voice that most ignore. Nashville actively harms and props up the artists it choices to, this is gatekeeping.)
I guess I worked around radio enough to not be surprised by any of the content.

I guess I worked around radio enough to not be surprised by any of the content.
I wasn’t really surprised by it, as much as I… I don’t know it’s hard to explain. I’m certainly aware of it, but it seemed like women/non cisgender male white performers have at least been given higher profiles. I don’t listen to country radio (in the traditional sense, I do listen to quite a bit of Willie’s Roadhouse on Sirius) at all so I have no clue what mainstream country really looks like. The fact that it still basically ignores Carlile and Morris and Price was a bit of a shock to me. Also interesting that radio still reigns king in rural communities. I would have figured especially with its homogenization around here that it was on its death bed out in the fly overs.

I wasn’t really surprised by it, as much as I… I don’t know it’s hard to explain. I’m certainly aware of it, but it seemed like women/non cisgender male white performers have at least been given higher profiles. I don’t listen to country radio (in the traditional sense, I do listen to quite a bit of Willie’s Roadhouse on Sirius) at all so I have no clue what mainstream country really looks like. The fact that it still basically ignores Carlile and Morris and Price was a bit of a shock to me. Also interesting that radio still reigns king in rural communities. I would have figured especially with its homogenization around here that it was on its death bed out in the fly overs.
Every time I see terrestrial radio numbers I’m surprised at how high they are across a LOT of demographics. I assume it’s surprising to me because I haven’t listened to FM radio in like 30 years. But it’s definitely out there and doing pretty well. I assume I Heart/Cumulus/et al have the dollar farming down to a science by now.

It’s funny cause if you play any of that stuff (Isbell, Price, etc) to the non-country listening public and they’re like “ugh… Country.” And the country folks don’t want them because politics/payola.

Back