Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

I have been spending a lot of time with Country & Western music this past year. I have always dabbled but this last year I have really enjoyed do a deep dive on the genre obviously Ken Burns documentary was a great companion for this journey as it placed the spotlight on some artist I would not have and connected some dots. I have also been excited by the number or really good Country Music albums to come out this year. I normally might find 1 or 2 records a year that I enjoy but this year I would have a tough time narrowing a list down to a top 20. All that to say, Jon Pardi's new album dropped on Friday and it pretty good especially for a borderline mainstream artist. That made me wonder if it was actually popular with Mainstream Corporate Country. I have heard artist such as Luke Combs and Chris Stapleton have broken though with a more traditionalist bent so I figured this might be on list and for singles it turns out that is the First single was currently at #23 which is cool and seems about right. Then I started looking through the rest of the list and there was a lot on their that I was aware of but not a particular fan of (Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc...) but I was quite surprised by the song that has been #1 FOR THE PAST 11 WEEKS!!!!

I don't really have any issue with this being the the #1 song on the Billboard Charts novelty/dance trend songs tend to preform really well on the charts like this. My bigger point is even though I have been actively following and learning about the genre over the past year. I am so in a bubble that I didn't even know this song existed until just right now. It's weird to me that something like this could clearly be a thing and I, someone spends lots of time researching, listening, discussing music could be that out of the loop. I have just been musing about this all day at work and wanted to get it out of my head.

I have been spending a lot of time with Country & Western music this past year. I have always dabbled but this last year I have really enjoyed do a deep dive on the genre obviously Ken Burns documentary was a great companion for this journey as it placed the spotlight on some artist I would not have and connected some dots. I have also been excited by the number or really good Country Music albums to come out this year. I normally might find 1 or 2 records a year that I enjoy but this year I would have a tough time narrowing a list down to a top 20. All that to say, Jon Pardi's new album dropped on Friday and it pretty good especially for a borderline mainstream artist. That made me wonder if it was actually popular with Mainstream Corporate Country. I have heard artist such as Luke Combs and Chris Stapleton have broken though with a more traditionalist bent so I figured this might be on list and for singles it turns out that is the First single was currently at #23 which is cool and seems about right. Then I started looking through the rest of the list and there was a lot on their that I was aware of but not a particular fan of (Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc...) but I was quite surprised by the song that has been #1 FOR THE PAST 11 WEEKS!!!!

I don't really have any issue with this being the the #1 song on the Billboard Charts novelty/dance trend songs tend to preform really well on the charts like this. My bigger point is even though I have been actively following and learning about the genre over the past year. I am so in a bubble that I didn't even know this song existed until just right now. It's weird to me that something like this could clearly be a thing and I, someone spends lots of time researching, listening, discussing music could be that out of the loop. I have just been musing about this all day at work and wanted to get it out of my head.

I called this back in June and no one listened. People love to dance. People who are into music do not dictate what is popular or charts. Regular people who just want to get turn't do.

I called this back in June and no one listened. People love to dance. People who are into music do not dictate what is popular or charts. Regular people who just want to get turn't do.
Right! I mean it is not a surprise, it could just as well be the Macarena or Achey-Breaky Heart. I was just surprised that I am that far out of the loop on something like this. To be that big of a hit you’d assume it’d be ubiquitous in popular culture and I hadn’t seen any references at all. lil’ Nas x was/is everywhere. It’s not exactly the same but it’s similar and I have not heard word one about this.

Right! I mean it is not a surprise, it could just as well be the Macarena or Achey-Breaky Heart. I was just surprised that I am that far out of the loop on something like this. To be that big of a hit you’d assume it’d be ubiquitous in popular culture and I hadn’t seen any references at all. lil’ Nas x was/is everywhere. It’s not exactly the same but it’s similar and I have not heard word one about this.
I mean, how many of us just know about lil nas x because we are Music nerds and it was a giant story. It didn't make my radar till It was already in contention of making its record. I'll also be the first to admit, I'm not exactly into what the kids are listening to these days.

Last edited:
I mean, how many of us just know about lil nas x because we are Music nerds and it was a giant story. It didn't make my radar till It was already in contention of making its record. I'll also be the first to admit, I'm not exactly into what the kids are listening to these days.
Yeah, and what’s popular and what is cool is rarely the same. I know I am not hip to what is genuinely currently popular (I looked at the other charts, yikes! The whole rock list was basically Weezer, Tool, and Panic! At The Disco songs). I guess I assumed if such an odd song spent 11 week at #1 it would have drifted into my consciousness at some point. I am sure, moving forward, now that it’s in my bubble I will see it everywhere as is normally the case when stuff like this occurs.

Yeah, and what’s popular and what is cool is rarely the same. I know I am not hip to what is genuinely currently popular (I looked at the other charts, yikes! The whole rock list was basically Weezer, Tool, and Panic! At The Disco songs). I guess I assumed if such an odd song spent 11 week at #1 it would have drifted into my consciousness at some point. I am sure, moving forward, now that it’s in my bubble I will see it everywhere as is normally the case when stuff like this occurs.
Yep... I mean Neal Francis and Tyler Childers ain’t exactly tearing up the charts, but if you looked around here, you’d think they were the biggest thing going.

Managed to make it through the house for a night and the wife handed me a package from a friend of mine and his wife. These were the contents. View attachment 18394

I have really fucking awesome friends.
These all look like fun. Old country compilations are a good time! Kudos and you owe your buddy a beer!

Last edited:
Managed to make it through the house for a night and the wife handed me a package from a friend of mine and his wife. These were the contents. View attachment 18394

I have really fucking awesome friends.
I just picked up that George Jones Greatest Hits the other day. Haven’t had a chance to spin it yet, The Race is On is an all time favorite of mine. Sweet package!

My brother turned me onto a guy named Vincent Neil Emerson. He saw him open for Colter Wall last year.

Anyway, his newest album is really solid and has a great name: Fried Chicken and Evil Women.

Well I'm high as a fly on Willie Nelson's Wall...

I have been listening to this album A LOT since it's release. It needs to be pressed on wax ASAP.

Jason Aaron writes awesome Comics so this is cool.

I did watch the movie last night, I enjoyed it. It's fun. Kind of like an anime version of Heavy Metal.

Jason Aaron writes awesome Comics so this is cool.

I did watch the movie last night, I enjoyed it. It's fun. Kind of like an anime version of Heavy Metal.

Yeah, Jason Aarons Thor run is probably the best run Ive ever read on that series. Havent watched the Anime yet but Im pumped for this

Yeah, Jason Aarons Thor run is probably the best run Ive ever read on that series. Havent watched the Anime yet but Im pumped for this
Scalped is phenomenal too. At one point I think they were talking about turning it into a TV series. Gritty crime noir set on a modern day Indian reservation. If you are into that sort of thing definitely worth picking up the trade(s).
51mZvXkDDvL__SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back