Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

Man, the new Aoife is pretty incredible. A great concept (sufferage) with a great supporting cast. It shifts from her normal breezy feeling folk to classical to rock. She covers Dylan. I thought Age of Apathy was a leap in her songwriting, but this is a leap in everything. And it’s beautiful.

A nice round up of everything countryish that came out yesterday. Outside the obvious ones (Sierra Ferrel, Waxahatchee, Adriane Lenker) I’m enjoying the new ones by Charlie Parr and Pat Reedy. And though it’s not on this list I also recommend the new ones from Hunter Hicks and Casper Allen. Hicks’ tune Born A Baby has been stuck in my head for days!

Last edited:
I did not know this was a Kesha cover, shows you how much I know about current pop music.
Huh, Me neither.

Reminds me of the Izaak Opatz cassette release, Hot and Heavy-Handed. I didn’t realize it was a covers album until my SO, who grew up on a steady diet on 90s country; said she knew one of the tracks already. Then I felt almost ashamed when I discovered my favorite track on the tape, “Drunk on A Plane”, was a freakin’ Dirks Bentley bro country anthem. It made me feel a bit dirty.

Last edited:
A nice round up of everything countryish that came out yesterday. Outside the obvious ones (Sierra Ferrel, Waxahatchee, Adriane Lenker) I’m enjoying the new ones by Charlie Parr and Pat Reedy. And though it’s not on this list I also recommend the new ones from Hunter Hicks and Casper Allen. Hicks’ tune Born A Baby has been stuck in my head for days!

this hunter hicks is something else let me tell you what. thank you for sharing.

Sharing this bc I think these guys are one of the best bands in the world and I feel like nobody ever talks about them.

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

The Deslondes (and JR Miller) don't make it up here too often, and I'm out of town next week. So bummed.

A while back, I was in New Orleans, and after hitting a jazz show we wandered into a whiskey bar. I wasn't paying too much attention to the guy setting up until he hit the first chord of I Got Found. And hell if I didn't just wander into a bar and happen upon Sam Doores playing a solo set of Holy Cross Blues. Looking at the timeline, this would've been a few months before that first Deslondes record. I love New Orleans.

This one has gotten a ton of play in my house over the years.

Back