Contemporary Records

I could write an essay on the Howard Rumsey & the Lighthouse records that Contemporary released, super super interesting. In fact, theres a really decent chapter on them in Ted Gioia's book, 'West Coast Jazz'.

What I particularly like about them is that they essentially acted as a platform to showcase a guest artist. Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark (before he even got to New York and recorded as lead), Jimmy Giuffre, Jack Costanzo, Hampton Hawes, Shelly Manne.......really impressive list. The bonus as you know is just how affordable they are, cheap heat for sure!

I actually recently doubled up on the one you shared with an OJC reissue. It cost me just £4.50 plus postage and was signed by Shorty Rogers, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper and Monty Budwig in Scotland in 1991. It also came with the handbill and ticket stub from the International Jazz Festiva concert where they performed.

View attachment 148170
That's awesome!
It's just missing that audio sound on those other contemporary records. I want to try some of the other volumes to compare. Were these recorded at a different studio?
Lighthouse At Laguna has been difficult to find a good copy.
Cheers!

That's awesome!
It's just missing that audio sound on those other contemporary records. I want to try some of the other volumes to compare. Were these recorded at a different studio?
Lighthouse At Laguna has been difficult to find a good copy.
Cheers!
Its a mix of quality really. The early releases (which I believe were shellac before moving to 10" records and eventually LP's) were recorded live at the Lighthouse by Cecil Charles Spiller. He was a fan of the group and rigged together a reel-to-reel recorder that he used to record.

Later they were recorded in a studio, although I think I remember reading and seeing a photo in Gioia's of a really amateur-looking 'studio' that was used (so perhaps not the best equipment/conditions).

For Lighthouse At Laguna there is certainly a live-sounding element to it (ie not the greatest quality) but still good from what I remember. I managed to dig up this photo of Euterpean Productions recording the live performance.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 23.32.57.png

My favourite from the series might just be Double Or Nothin'. Lee Morgan, Charlie Persip, Benny Golson, Wynton Kelly!!! The story goes that Dizzy Gillespie and his group were gigging on the West coast and dropped into the Lighthouse one evening to watch Howard Rumsey and the All-Stars perform. They were really loving it and at one point Diz jumped on stage and grabbed the only free instrument and played along.....it was the conga drums! Afterwards they went for food together as a big group and agreed to record together. What a fantastic evening that must have been!

The Ornette box arrived.
Really nice packaging.
The box is a printed fabric wrap.

However the little booklet included is a cheap out. All the photos are blue and it's a wasted opportunity IMO.
Should have stayed full size like Rhino and others have done for a smaller retail price point.

Looking forward to spinning these. I know the sound is what matters.
20220808_165316.jpg20220808_165322.jpg20220808_170128.jpg20220808_170754.jpg

Added this deep groove for $4. (1957)
Seller was a little optimistic with VG+ on a few spots.

These old Contemporary releases captured piano really well. Previn is the man.
When I listen to the latest Trio 65 , it's really not a contest. These sound that good and real from a piano sound quality. Just great stuff. Classics

BTW- I'm sure this cover art was damn near playboy material back then.
20220815_215124.jpg20220815_215142.jpg

These 80s releases of Pepper at Vanguard are nice. Need to find Saturday Night to finish the series.

Also added another Evans Riverside OJC.

20220908_184839.jpg

Attachments

• 20220908_184839.jpg
    20220908_184839.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 0
Back