Contemporary Records

Jbraswell

This label is as legendary as Blue Note and the history goes back to 1951.
With all the new releases coming as the 70th Anniversary, it's worthy of a thread.

Starting off with some really cool history.

The Sound of Contemporary Records​

Recognizing the label's audio excellence, in honor of its 70th anniversary

Contemporary​

The LJC Collector’s Guide
to Contemporary Records – Introduction

Collector’s Guide to Contemporary Records Part I (updated)​

Contemporary labels by title, complete reference set​

Last edited:
1956 release of Shelly Manne & His Friends – Modern Jazz Performances Of Songs From My Fair Lady

The sound is very rich and full. Previn's piano keys just float. The bass is balanced in so well.

It will be a tall task for BG to improve on this one. It's already that great sounding.
20220731_175823.jpg

Those OG contemporaries sound amazing. After listening to a bunch, I think Roy DuNann was better than Rudy Van Gelder when it came to recording jazz.
That's a tough call. Very different styles.
The Contemporaries are certainly more underrated.

I don't think RVG had the best recording equipment, which makes him a real creator genius.

the packaging is fantastic too. slim box and cool design. a little bummed this didn't seem to sell as well as i thought it might. was hoping they would do more of these twofer boxes.
I am not sure how well all the Contemporary releases are selling.
The prices are coming in well below Tone Poets and are of equal quality on the vinyl.

Some questions about the made in Mexico on the box set.
Craft probably outsourced the packaging due to cost and supply chain issues.
Highly doubtful they would outsource pressings to Mexico.

I am not sure how well all the Contemporary releases are selling.
The prices are coming in well below Tone Poets and are of equal quality on the vinyl.

Some questions about the made in Mexico on the box set.
Craft probably outsourced the packaging due to cost and supply chain issues.
Highly doubtful they would outsource pressings to Mexico.
I haven't seen anything about made in mexico but assuming that's just the box. Sleeves are from Stoughton and the pressings were done at RTI.

I'd imagine that they are selling pretty well. Not as well as the TPs but Contemporary isn't as well-known a label. BN also does a great job at marketing and their jackets/artwork kind of market themselves. Since they are not gatefolds, I imagine they are cheaper to make than the TPs.

I'm always pretty pleasantly surprised by Craft's pricing on most items. They do lots of single LP AAA records for $25.

I dipped my toe in the Lighthouse Series with this one. Still a Koening recording but it's just not the same without DuNann.

Still a really fun one to spin and it was pretty inexpensive for a nice clean copy.

20220805_201228.jpg20220805_201323.jpg

Last edited:
Helen Humes has all the big players on it.
Pepper, Kessel, Webster, Manne, Previn, and more.

You can tell this is a repress because the deep groove is missing and stereo is now on the yellow label instead of black center label. All the sound quality is still great. The vinyl is also thinner from the OGs.

I think this is ~1962 based on the LJC info.
Overall, a solid addition for $5.
Her voice is hawt and the music is stellar.
20220807_123702.jpg20220807_123715.jpg

I dipped my toe in the Lighthouse Series with this one. Still a Koening recording but it's just not the same without DuNann.

Still a really fun one to spin and it was pretty inexpensive for a nice clean copy.

View attachment 148007View attachment 148008
I could write an essay on the Howard Rumsey & the Lighthouse records that Contemporary released, super super interesting. In fact, theres a really decent chapter on them in Ted Gioia's book, 'West Coast Jazz'.

What I particularly like about them is that they essentially acted as a platform to showcase a guest artist. Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark (before he even got to New York and recorded as lead), Jimmy Giuffre, Jack Costanzo, Hampton Hawes, Shelly Manne.......really impressive list. The bonus as you know is just how affordable they are, cheap heat for sure!

I actually recently doubled up on the one you shared with an OJC reissue. It cost me just £4.50 plus postage and was signed by Shorty Rogers, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper and Monty Budwig in Scotland in 1991. It also came with the handbill and ticket stub from the International Jazz Festiva concert where they performed.

IMG_3571.JPG

Back