Comics Corner

Looks like it's a poster - available Saturday morning:

It's dope, but I don't need a poster... I was really hoping for a Bogus Journey album. One day...

Didn't watch as many panels as I would have liked, hopefully they'll leave them up for awhile. Based on this thread I did order the first three volumes of Paper Girls though. I expect I'll be ordering the rest shortly.
Vaughan and Chiang do amazing work. I hope the Amazon series is half as fun as the comics are.

Shameless friend promotion: Cyberpunk space goth comic Binary Star just launched the Kickstarter campaign for its second collected print volume. (Some of you might remember me dropping a link to the first campaign back in ye olde forum.)

This series is an independent labor of love (i.e., created, written, illustrated) by my roommate, Jamie. It's inspired by classic, character-focused sci-fi stories like Enemy Mine and even a little cartoony humor like Emperor's New Groove.

It's available to read entirely for free on Tapas, Tumblr, and Facebook, so this plug is simply for those who dig something for the shelf. Note, it's illustrated specifically for print—the web-first release is simply because it's her first original series.

This campaign also includes a new, revised hardcover pressing of the first volume, since the super-limited first pressing sold out.

Volume 2 brings Zaki and Spooky's story to its midpoint (Ch. 10), with a planned total 20 chapters. (Jamie already has plans for her next series within the Binary Star universe, and it's going to be a trip!)

Anyways, thanks for hearing me out. I admire Jamie's steadfast commitment to bringing this series to life, and can't help but want others to dive in.

Last edited:
AT&T/WB just made layoffs across their media divisions, including DC Comics - over 800 across all WB, with roughly 20% of that total being from HBO.

With possibly as much as 1/3 of editorial being let go, the three biggest names involved on the DC side are EiC Bob Harras, Black Label Executive Editor Mark Doyle (the newer "mature" line that was actually profitable, if mildly controversial), and remaining Publisher Jim Lee. It sounds like Lee will be transitioned out gradually, but remain as Chief Creative Officer. Also, DC Universe (streaming) is pretty much gone, with everything that they want to keep getting shifted over to HBO Max. DC Direct, the merchandising/toy line looks to also be gutted.

After firing Didio at the beginning of the pandemic, then trying to create their own distribution system using 2 existing retail stores as the hubs, this is a company finding new ways to flail around. AT&T is going to try to downsize their way out of the pandemic regardless of long-term impact..

We've always known that the Bat family books were essentially paying for everything else, but expect a dramatic reduction in all monthly titles going forward.

ETA: This was truly scummy on AT&T's part because there aren't any entertainment/comics jobs right now. This didn't need to happen in the middle of a pandemic (and pandemic-induced recession).

Last edited:
Vaughan and Chiang do amazing work. I hope the Amazon series is half as fun as the comics are.

Paper Girls is great. I'm really looking forward to the show. I just started on Vaughan's Saga series. The first volume has me hooked. I've received the 3rd and 4th, but the USPS is taking the 2nd on a tour of the Northeastern US. I can't wait to jump back in.

Paper Girls is great. I'm really looking forward to the show. I just started on Vaughan's Saga series. The first volume has me hooked. I've received the 3rd and 4th, but the USPS is taking the 2nd on a tour of the Northeastern US. I can't wait to jump back in.
Love Saga too. I am pretty sure that would be fairly unlikely to be turned into a show or movie. Actually, if I recall, I think Vaughan stated during the initial press tour that the whole idea was to make a story so epic that it would only be suitable for the comic book medium.
37194C0B-6908-4BDE-8E0C-7D1712B8142F.jpeg

Love Saga too. I am pretty sure that would be fairly unlikely to be turned into a show or movie. Actually, if I recall, I think Vaughan stated during the initial press tour that the whole idea was to make a story so epic that it would only be suitable for the comic book medium.
View attachment 61360
I'm surprised more of these sci-fi/fantasy series don't opt for animated adaptations, as opposed to live action. Especially with the success of The Clone Wars or Into the Spider-verse. Despite loving the live action shows, I could see things like Game of Thrones or The Expanse having incredible animated shows.

Haven't gotten around to reading High Level by Rob Sheridan yet, but they just put preorders for the 3xLP comic soundtrack by Steven Alexander Ryan (The Black Queen, NIN tech, APC tech) and Justin McGrath (Polyfuse).

I'm surprised more of these sci-fi/fantasy series don't opt for animated adaptations, as opposed to live action. Especially with the success of The Clone Wars or Into the Spider-verse. Despite loving the live action shows, I could see things like Game of Thrones or The Expanse having incredible animated shows.

Funny enough Dominique Tipper aka Naomi from The Expanse has expressed interest in playing Alana if it ever becomes a show:

Along these lines I started reading Monstress over the last few weeks and I see why it has racked up so many awards - can't wait to get all caught up. Recently, I saw rumors that HBO Max might be looking at adapting this. I think it will be a pretty CGI heavy show if done properly...maybe they'll get a bulk discount on CGI cats though?

Funny enough Dominique Tipper aka Naomi from The Expanse has expressed interest in playing Alana if it ever becomes a show:

Along these lines I started reading Monstress over the last few weeks and I see why it has racked up so many awards - can't wait to get all caught up. Recently, I saw rumors that HBO Max might be looking at adapting this. I think it will be a pretty CGI heavy show if done properly...maybe they'll get a bulk discount on CGI cats though?
Why not just fully animated? Some of those pages just move.

Checking in friends! What would have been NYCC (aka my favorite weekend of the year) has come and gone and I'm just here packing my small apartment full of comics to discuss, get signed or remarked by creators next time we can have a convention. I really miss the exuberance and interactions of in-person nerd culture...that said:

What's on your comics radar, pull list, recommend list right now?
Get any new figurines, statues, posters, games...anything cool? Show 'em off!

Finshed Paper Girls - loved it. Previously read Y: The Last Man and loved that too, so I guess I'm onto Saga next. It's been awhile since I pulled anything on a regular basis though, I find I go more with trades at this point.

If you are looking for a book about comics, Glen Wheldon's books on Superman and Batman are both enjoyable reads.

Amazon product ASIN 1476756732
Amazon product ASIN B08CFQB7VB

I know it's usually comics of a different ilk that are discussed here, but if, like me, you diligently read the newspaper comic strips when you were growing up (if, of course, you grew up when people still had newspapers delivered) then you probably loved Calvin and Hobbes.

Saw this great deal for the complete works in a paperback box set on Amazon (~50% off):

Amazon product ASIN 1449433251

I know it's usually comics of a different ilk that are discussed here, but if, like me, you diligently read the newspaper comic strips when you were growing up (if, of course, you grew up when people still had newspapers delivered) then you probably loved Calvin and Hobbes.

Saw this great deal for the complete works in a paperback box set on Amazon (~50% off):

Amazon product ASIN 1449433251
I have hardbound copies of all these collections but the box set does look sharp.

Back