Cocktails

None cheaper (or nicer!) than the gin I make :p

But might order the unicorn tears just because... the name!

FYI anyone looking, that Jawbox gin is very nice. Highly recommend that one.

Jorge Ben + Taj Mahal

3 oz gin - Bluecoat (local distillery)
2 oz overproof rum - Plantation OFTD
2 oz Aperol
2 oz coconut cream
2 oz lime juice
2 oz grapefruit juice
2 large chunks pineapple
ice
garnish: pineapple chunk, pineapple leaf

Combine everything but ice in tall container. Blend with immersion blender. Crush ice in Lewis bag. Fill festive glass halfway with ice. Add half of the mixed liquid into glass and stir until ice dissolves. Fill glass with ice. Garnish.

IMG_20190718_162319.jpg

Got a bit pissed last night.... kicked off my birthday week with a cocktail evening with my oldest buddy (we've known each other since we were three)

Walked into his kitchen and was faced with this lol and that's only about half the contents of his drinks cabinet.

IMG_20190805_190413.jpg

After a few rums we started on the cocktails

Bramble
Pineapple Daquiri
Taj Mahal
Puka Punch
(Although in the absence of passion fruit syrup we used passion fruit liqueur and some passion fruit. Also no honey syrup so we added honey and some honey liqueur. lol
Mai Tai

IMG_20190805_195709.jpgIMG_20190805_205526.jpgIMG_20190805_220731.jpgIMG_20190805_224933.jpgIMG_20190805_234925.jpg

Currently deep into a Negroni jag, and it's all about the Vermouth. A mate recommended Cocchi di Torino and it's stunning - I've also got a half bottle of Carpano Antica to mix it up a little, though apparently it's better for Manhattans (which would entail me buying a bourbon that's not just a shit one used for cooking)

Current recipe is even amounts of

Gin (juniper heavy - currently I use Tanquary, though there's nothing wrong with Aldi/Lidls best as far a I can tell)
Campari
Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi di Torino/Carpano Antica - Martini Rosso is crap in this tbh, though their Ambrato is OK, but seriously lacks complexity))

Currently deep into a Negroni jag, and it's all about the Vermouth. A mate recommended Cocchi di Torino and it's stunning - I've also got a half bottle of Carpano Antica to mix it up a little, though apparently it's better for Manhattans (which would entail me buying a bourbon that's not just a shit one used for cooking)

Gin (juniper heavy - currently I use Tanquary, though there's nothing wrong with Aldi/Lidls best as far a I can tell)
Campari
Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi di Torino/Carpano Antica - Martini Rosso is crap in this tbh, though their Ambrato is OK, but seriously lacks complexity))

Switch out the gin for some strawberry gin liqueur for an interesting twist. The strawberry really complements the campari and gives the drink a touch more sweetness.

Campari

I love both Carpano and Cocchi in a Negroni. If you want an even more bitter take, use Punt e Mes. Delicious.

Also, try a 2:1:1 ratio, stirred generously and served up. I like it as much as, sometimes more than, the classic formula.

I was torn between Punt e Mes and Carpano after advice from a fellow dad at school who is a journo - he's written a book on cocktails, and writes on the topic for The Times, so knows hi stuff. His Christmas parties are fairly epic on the booze front

My negroni is 2:1:1 ratio served in a double old fashioned over a large ice cube. It's usually:

1.5 oz Bluecoat gin (local and cheap-ish here)
.75 oz Campari
.75 oz Carpano
orange twist

Recently came into a bottle of Sloe Gin so occasionally I'll sub that for the vermouth. Will also mix it up with Punt e Mes from time to time but I find Carpano is more versatile.

My negroni is 2:1:1 ratio served in a double old fashioned over a large ice cube. It's usually:

1.5 oz Bluecoat gin (local and cheap-ish here)
.75 oz Campari
.75 oz Carpano
orange twist

Recently came into a bottle of Sloe Gin so occasionally I'll sub that for the vermouth. Will also mix it up with Punt e Mes from time to time but I find Carpano is more versatile.

Sloe gin! Have you made a Modern yet?

Sloe gin! Have you made a Modern yet?

Not yet! I'm not the biggest scotch person but I'll have to try it out with the Glenlivet in my bar. Plymouth Sloe Gin was on sale for $17 at my local state store a few months ago. I regret not clearing them out.

First time making and drinking.... The Enzoni.... and wow! This is a seriously good drink.

Gin, campari, lemon juice, simple syrup and grapes muddled and then shake and strained over ice INA rocks glass.

I can't describe just how fantastic this is.

IMG_20190927_232457.jpg

I had friends round on Saturday night for a game of risk and a night of cocktails:

As we set the board up and sorted out our armies we finished off a blackberry and apple gin and elderflower tonic and then when we were ready to begin I started mixing drinks.

Strawberry Negroni (this is the last one because I've now used all my homemade strawberry liqueur) I upgraded to Martini Rosso @Mr Moore :D

1569885277922.png

Sloe Gin Martinez:

2oz (60ml) Sloe Gin
1oz (30ml) Sweet Vermouth
.375oz (11ml) Dry Curacao
.375oz (11ml) Maraschino Liqueur
2 Dashes Campari

I have to say this was a really delicious drink. If you haven't already I recommend you give this one a go.

1569885434865.png

Rob Roy:

2oz (60ml) Scotch
1oz (30ml) Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
1 maraschino cherry

A variation on the Manhattan. I didn't actually drink this one because I don't like Scotch, but my friends do and they really liked it.

1569885608750.png

Gimlet

2oz (60ml) Gin
1oz (30ml) Lime Juice
2 barspoons Simple Syrup

I made myself this to drink while the others had their Rob Roys,

1569885890929.png

Enzoni

1oz (30ml) Gin
1oz (30ml) Campari
.75oz (20ml) Lemon Juice
.5oz (15ml) Simple Syrup
4 to 5 Seedless Grapes

1569886144582.png

Daquiri

2oz (60ml) White Rum
1.5oz (45ml) Lime Juice
0.75oz (20ml) Simple Syrup

I made this just before my troops swept through Africa bringing me to a crushing victory.

1569886460952.png

Floradora

2oz (60ml) Gin
.75oz (20ml) Lime Juice
0.5oz (15ml) Simple Syrup
4 raspberries

A lot of recipes include ginger beer, but I chose a recipe without.. For a start I don't have any and anyway I'm not a huge fan and I don't think this cocktail needs it. Raise a toast to my victory, from now on you should all refer to me as King Of The World.

1569886751702.png

Gin Daisy

60ml gin
7.5ml yellow chartreuse
7.5ml lemon juice
7.5ml grenadine syrup
garnished with a luxardo maraschino cherry

1571352148473.png

Back