Cassette Tapes

Also, not sure if I created this thread in the right place.

Hausu Mountain has been consistently putting out fascinating releases, but it's Bubble Universe! by Nonlocal Forecast that got me to order a tape. Nonlocal Forecast is the newest project of the musician behind Fire-Toolz, and it's a slightly twisted, deranged take on cool 80s instrumental jazz-fusion. It's unapologetically digi and dense, and I love it.

I love cassettes too!
I just get a little disheartened at some of the productions. For example, I have quite a few from Polyvinyl (Jay Som, Cap'n Jazz, Quiet Slang, Alvvays, White Reaper...) and the pattern seems to be high quality cassettes with minimal or no effort put into the sleeve/artwork. In fact, my Quiet Slang EP's cassette spine is quite grainy!
Sub Pop stuff, though? Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Wish there was more care put into the packaging as they did as recently as 20 years ago.

Tried to get into cassettes, even bought a vintage Nakamichi deck, but it needed some TLC that was going to run close to a grand and the sound quality is just not there for the media. Wasn't worth it

I'll still buy a cassette here and there, but only from a merch table at a show and only if it has exclusive content

I love cassettes too!
I just get a little disheartened at some of the productions. For example, I have quite a few from Polyvinyl (Jay Som, Cap'n Jazz, Quiet Slang, Alvvays, White Reaper...) and the pattern seems to be high quality cassettes with minimal or no effort put into the sleeve/artwork. In fact, my Quiet Slang EP's cassette spine is quite grainy!
Sub Pop stuff, though? Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Wish there was more care put into the packaging as they did as recently as 20 years ago.

I’m with you on that bro. It does seem like most labels don’t put enough care into the packaging of cassettes these days. I also have a few newer tapes that have sound quality issues. Very disappointing. My fav label to buy tapes from rn is Daupe Media. Quality tapes for sure.

love my tapes. only just gave up on my last cassette walkman last year.

tapes.jpg

i got into collecting tapes again maybe a year or two back when Vaporwave / Beat Tape music started growing. Really fell into some pretty cool labels that only do tape releases. Ended up selling off a lot of them... Some of these I"d keep forever. But this is what I have left in my tape box:

i got into collecting tapes again maybe a year or two back when Vaporwave / Beat Tape music started growing. Really fell into some pretty cool labels that only do tape releases. Ended up selling off a lot of them... Some of these I"d keep forever. But this is what I have left in my tape box:
View attachment 992

View attachment 993

I see a sealed copy of the Madvillainy Demo in there...nice!

7Wa53Li.jpg

Here are some tapes I have! There was a period I put vinyl on hold bc I got more obsessed with tapes — buying up blanks and making homemade boots, some of which are featured here.

Is the Blade Runner tape a boot?

Back