Cables - one of the most taboo subjects in audio

My cables have a 600 hour burn in (according to the manufacturer) I guarantee yours will continue to get better and better as time goes on... It's pretty wild to hear it happen...
Agreed, my ZU's are listed as 400 hours.

I used to think cables made no audible difference and that build quality is all there was to gain. To prove it to myself, I bought a pair of Blue Jeans LC-1. I didn’t bother with blind testing, because I figure I don’t listen that way. I can accept that I might be biased and just live with it. The result? To me, the LC-1 was an audible downgrade from Dynex cables I bought at Best Buy. Finding it hard to believe, I bought a pair of Mogami cables. Those sounded the same to me as the LC-1. Still finding it hard to believe, I bought some cables on eBay that were made with Klotz cable and Neutrik connectors. They sounded more similar to the Dynex cables than to the LC-1 or the Mogami. In the end, the LC-1 and the Mogami are not in my system. Maybe someday I’ll try them again.

I used to think cables made no audible difference and that build quality is all there was to gain. To prove it to myself, I bought a pair of Blue Jeans LC-1. I didn’t bother with blind testing, because I figure I don’t listen that way. I can accept that I might be biased and just live with it. The result? To me, the LC-1 was an audible downgrade from Dynex cables I bought at Best Buy. Finding it hard to believe, I bought a pair of Mogami cables. Those sounded the same to me as the LC-1. Still finding it hard to believe, I bought some cables on eBay that were made with Klotz cable and Neutrik connectors. They sounded more similar to the Dynex cables than to the LC-1 or the Mogami. In the end, the LC-1 and the Mogami are not in my system. Maybe someday I’ll try them again.
@Ito , what kind of equipment are you using these cables on if you don't mind me asking.

The most important lesson is that you found that cables can make a difference, and you found ones that you prefer! This at least allows you to go in with an open mind when exploring other cables if you ever decide to do that.

It's also showed you that retail price point isn't everything. I personally swapped out speakers cables the were half of the retail of what I had, and I liked that sound better. I've also heard stuff I can't afford that I liked better and worse.

If you spend some more time with the cables you have, try to really articulate with detailed wording what you like better/worse about each cable. This will help you have a baseline for your preferences when you read reviews about other cables in the future.

Anybody upgrade their power cable on turntable? Any benefits to doing so?
Was thinking about upgrading PLX1000 power cable but you really dont find much info for any turntable power upgrade online.

Anybody upgrade their power cable on turntable? Any benefits to doing so?
Was thinking about upgrading PLX1000 power cable but you really dont find much info for any turntable power upgrade online.
I haven't, but my guess is it can't hurt. But I'd probably do pretty much every other upgrade I could think of first. I think the TT is much more susceptible to mechanical noise than electrical unless something funky is going on.

That's my guess.

I haven't, but my guess is it can't hurt. But I'd probably do pretty much every other upgrade I could think of first. I think the TT is much more susceptible to mechanical noise than electrical unless something funky is going on.

That's my guess.
I'm with @displayname on this one, on my main system I literally replaced everything and then decided to replace the power cabled on the TT.......it was more of and OCD thing than anything else, had Pangea cables throughout so I wanted the "synergy" and like @displayname name already said, it can't hurt, I don't mind knowing that I have better quality cables in use.

I'm a cable skeptic, but here's a pro tip: if you're going to buy exotic or expensive cables, buy them used. A lot of audiophiles are cable obsessed, so you can pick up barely used cables at a fraction of their retail price on sites like Audiogon or even eBay.
I would personally stick to audio specific sites or sellers that have excellent reviews and focus on audio if buying used. This is excellent advice, but eBay is also flooded with fake cables, especially from the big brands like audio quest.

the thing that makes me unsure about any higher quality "audiophile" cables is how much of it is snake oil... i have seen the memes about audioquests 1000 dollars digital or analog cables and i think "i just want to remove the buzz on my schiit mani and have a decent quality sound"

and obviously i get too paranoid to use a site like audiogon because of stuff like broken in headphones not sounding as punchy as they used to and a bunch of other stuff

Thousand-dollar cables are a bit much for Schiit, and if you read the FAQs on their website, you'll find the Schiit crew agrees.
An appropriate upgrade for that price point is probably Blue Jeans Cable, which are often recommended on this board. Their LC1 cables (under Stereo audio) are probably a good place to start.

Another possibility: I just popped onto Schiit's website, and they're now linking to Amazon Basics cables. 1/3 the price of the Blue Jeans too. They've also recommended Monoprice in the past.
I don't know if any of us have experience with these brands though.

I started with Monoprice, then BJC, and now I have Zu Mission across the board. BJC are great and I consider those entry level, the monoprice could not compete. The BJC to Zu is debatable and could be argued preference. With ebay and buy 3 items free shipping I splurged.
Power Cable started with Pangea AC14 which really helped my Vincent Pho 8. I got Zu Mission for everything now. I can 100% say it improved my powered subwoofer, incredibly noticeable. They basically ended up cheaper than Pangea and I like look better. I added Amp, Sub first then pre, turntable so hard to say differences there but it sounds better than when I started for sure.
Long story short cables and power make a difference but I'm sure there is a point diminish returns. I dont consider them necessity but upgrades at end of the line. I'd say the biggest reason is obviously shielding. I highly suggest ebay Zu especially with return policy.
Disclaimer: It took couple sessions notice Zu RCA so breakin is real there when first hook up.

I've kind of gone with this when it comes to cables.

There is a point where fact & theory ends and snake oil begins, but I think that point is dependent on the system itself. This isn't meant as a knock on any gear or whatever, I've just noticed that you yield more of a return on high end cables when they are attached to a high end system.

I would never tell someone with a $1000 system to spend hundreds of dollars on cables to make things sound better........there are better and proven upgrades way below that price point ;)

Thousand-dollar cables are a bit much for Schiit, and if you read the FAQs on their website, you'll find the Schiit crew agrees.
An appropriate upgrade for that price point is probably Blue Jeans Cable, which are often recommended on this board. Their LC1 cables (under Stereo audio) are probably a good place to start.
i was mostly wondering between BJC or audioquest evergreens (the mani will be the preamp and the amp will be a monoprice liquid spark)

Personal opinion I would go BJC over Audioquest but that said the LC1 are pretty thick and deep and .might be an issue in some setups with tight storage. Audioquest might be considered better looking and def quicker to buy since Best Buy has them.

One thing on the spending money on cables for $1K system is you can always carry them over as you upgrade. Obviously upgrades coming first probably makes more sense in jump improvement but if you know your full plan and get good run on cheap cables you want, I dont see problem with it. My main defense for this theory is how much the Pangea did for my Pho8 preamp which is only $300.

Back