Best Music of 2021

Last edited:
Me - I feel pretty good about my list

Rough Trade - Dry Cleaning is #1 album of 2021

Me - missed that one...let's listen

Dry Cleaning - ***opening base-line***

Me - fuuuuuuuuuck
They’re interesting but I can’t listen to them for too long because I’m not really a fan of their speak-singing

They’re interesting but I can’t listen to them for too long because I’m not really a fan of their speak-singing
ya...as I listen a bit deeper, I feel like they're cut from the Arab Strap mold...you're giving me compellingly dark music but vocally I'm just not locked in like I am for similarly styled bands like Shame and Protomartyr

ya...as I listen a bit deeper, I feel like they're cut from the Arab Strap mold...you're giving me compellingly dark music but vocally I'm just not locked in like I am for similarly styled bands like Shame and Protomartyr
Yeah it’s alright, but it’s kind of emotionless? At least for those other two examples they’re showing a little more in between singing and speaking. I’ve always thought Protomartyr were a darker/punkier Hold Steady. Great band.

Yeah it’s alright, but it’s kind of emotionless? At least for those other two examples they’re showing a little more in between singing and speaking. I’ve always thought Protomartyr were a darker/punkier Hold Steady. Great band.
Oh that’s it I think. I liked the album (Dry Cleaning) but I haven’t returned to it. And as a whole listen through it kinda just loses me after a while. Thought I loved it initially, but yeah it’s too detached or something to really latch onto.

2021 was a big year for speak-singing. I know they’re trying to sound like The Fall, but I can’t seem to get into these bands. See: Dry Cleaning, Squid, Black Country New Road, TV Priest….

2021 was a big year for speak-singing. I know they’re trying to sound like The Fall, but I can’t seem to get into these bands. See: Dry Cleaning, Squid, Black Country New Road, TV Priest….
I believe the term is Sprechgesang, and yes it was well represented in 2021, especially as part of the new wave of post-Brexit post-punk bands such as Dry-Cleaning, BCNR etc.

That said, it is not to be confused with spoken word poetry which is loosely defined as "poetry intended for performance", which resembles something like Cassandra Jenkins' mesmerizing sophisti-pop song Hard Drive.

I'm not sure of anything on my 2021 list yet except for Coeur de Pirate's Perseides. It's an album of solo piano pieces she wrote while recovering from vocal cord surgery. Each song is named after a city in Quebec that was important to her childhood. The vinyl has been delayed a bunch of times so I haven't "spun" it yet, but it gets played every couple days.

I'm not sure of anything on my 2021 list yet except for Coeur de Pirate's Perseides. It's an album of solo piano pieces she wrote while recovering from vocal cord surgery. Each song is named after a city in Quebec that was important to her childhood. The vinyl has been delayed a bunch of times so I haven't "spun" it yet, but it gets played every couple days.

listening to this now, it's realllllll nice. Getting very strong Dustin O'Halloran vibes

Back