Best Music of 2021

I think I've listed to the new Modest amount 6 times since it leaked late last night. I pallete cleansed with the new Tyler and some Can in-between (lots of driving for work today).

In the days leading up, I also binged the shit out of the post-M&A portions of Modest Mouse's discography.

I ADORE the first half of Golden Casket but the 2nd half feels a bit more uneven at the moment. Ironically, a couple of the more negative reviews pointed to the 2nd half as being the stronger section. Different strokes I guess?

Anyways, enjoying it and just happy to have new tunes from one of my favorite philosophers.

Also, the new Tyler SLAPS

Edit: Oh, and because I don't know where else to put it-- Issac did an AMA on Reddit.

I think my issue with the new Modest Mouse is it just doesn't connect, on a lyrical level, and sometimes the music just doesn't do enough either. But there are some good songs on it. I actually loved Lace Your Shoes. It feels like something to connect to, even though I do not have kids. There's a genuine emotion in it, and it's great musically. I also do like opener Fuck Your Acid Trip. I think it's a weird way to start an album, which is why I like it. The singles that dropped before are still the worst songs here cause they don't...do anything interesting. They just sound blandly anthemic and don't mean anything to me. Some of the songs just sound overstuffed with instruments and the lyrics don't seem to stand out so I don't know what to make of everything just yet. But Fuck Your Acid Trip, Japanese Trees, Lace Your Shoes, Transmitting Receiving...those are good ones.

Mostly though it just makes me realize Good News is better than I ever gave it credit for. As far as MM going "pop," that record is the best version of it.

Since I've just started exploring Topsters, I thought before posting my Q2 Topster next week, I try creating a Topster for my former list of my favorites from Q1/ 2021.

Similar boat. I've just recently started enjoying Topsters and figured it would make a good excuse to look back at Q1. I've also listened to a lot more music since then and made some discoveries that didn't make my original Q1 list at the end of March, so this list is modified to reflect that.

2021 - Q1titles.png

Since I've just started exploring Topsters, I thought before posting my Q2 Topster next week, I try creating a Topster for my former list of my favorites from Q1/ 2021.

View attachment 103412
Wow, 42 favorite albums from Q1?? For me, Q1 was amazing and likely the best Q1 of any year in recent memory. I only had 12 albums on my Q1 Topsters favorites list 🤔 (Q2 has been even bigger). Are these Q1 albums on your Topster here in order (Celeste being your #1)?

Wow, 42 favorite albums from Q1?? For me, Q1 was amazing and likely the best Q1 of any year in recent memory. I only had 12 albums on my Q1 Topsters favorites list 🤔 (Q2 has been even bigger). Are these Q1 albums on your Topster here in order (Celeste being your #1)?
Yes, I've listened to so many albums each week as never before in my life (like 10 to 20 each week), so it was already hard to limit it to 42. And I still feel like some great albums are probably missing, but that's the great thing about seeing each other's lists: we always find something new or re- visit albums again.

Yes, my Q2 will also be bigger. Lots of very good releases this year, but that could also be due to me listening to more and thus finding more I enjoy.

Yes, they are in some rough order with Celeste being my favorite. Of course it's subjective and they will move positions as time goes by, too.

So here's my topster for Q2. I've included the last release week of Q1, as I had left that away for Q1, and I excluded the last week of releases of Q2 and will include that one in my Q3 chart. Lots of great releases, in some rough subjective order. I'm sure I missed this or that great record and I'm looking forward to see the other's favorites. :)

topsters2(5).jpg

Favorite Albums from June 2021:

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
SPELLING - The Turning Wheel
Amythyst Kiah - Wary + Strange
Lucy Dacus - Home Video
Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha
John Grant - Boy From Michigan
Loraine James - Reflection
SAULT - NINE
Cautious Clay - Deadpan Love
Quivers - Golden Doubt
Squirrel Flower - Planet (1)
Maple Glider - To Enjoy Is The Only Thing
Lightning Bug - A Colir of the Sky

Last edited:
Recommended Albums from June 2021!

June 2021 brought on some of my most anticipated albums of the year. It also brought several new artists forth that I either discovered randomly or through recommendations. Finally, there were a few albums this month that I'm thinking will be ones that will need to grow on me over the coming months.This was another very strong month in an already amazing year for new music, and surely June has produced some solid AOTY list condenders!

Albums are in no ranking order and are listed in
alphabetical order by the artist.

Amythyst Kiah - Wary + Strange #amythystkiah #warystrange @amythystkiah 🎶americana, folk🎶

Exsanguination - Spectral Hymns #exsanguination #spectralhymns @exsanguination666 🎶death metal, grindcore🎶

Loraine James - Reflection #lorainejames #reflection @setfiretoloraine 🎶experimental, electronic, I'm, r&b🎶

Lucy Dacus - Home Video #lucydacus #homevideo @lucydacus 🎶singer-songwriter, alternative, indie rock🎶

Quivers - Golden Doubt #quivers #goldendoubt @quiversss 🎶jangle pop, indie rock🎶

Spellling - The Turning Wheel #spellling #theturningwheel @spellling 🎶experimental, r&b, soul, synthpop🎶

Tyler, The Creator - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST #tylerthecreator #callmeifyougetlost @feliciathegoat 🎶rap, hip-hop🎶

Whispering Sons - Several Others #whisperingsons #severalothers @whisperingsons 🎶experimental, post-punk, shoegaze, darkwave🎶

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend #wolfalice #blueweekemd @wolfaliceband 🎶alternative, pop, rock🎶IMG_20210627_120729_311.jpg

Most Anticipated Albums for July 2021:

Lana Del Rey - Blue Banisters
is this one still happening?

didn’t she say July 4th? Or something?

Also unrelated, I am still waiting for my Rough Trade order of the new Wolf Alice. I’ve been trying not to stream it too much cause I still want it to sound fresh on vinyl. But I can’t help myself. I love it.

is this one still happening?

didn’t she say July 4th? Or something?

Also unrelated, I am still waiting for my Rough Trade order of the new Wolf Alice. I’ve been trying not to stream it too much cause I still want it to sound fresh on vinyl. But I can’t help myself. I love it.
I got my copy from Brooklyn Vegan. Came within a week.

Back