James & Nikki: A Conversation
The Sorcerers - I Too Am A Stranger
Heems – Lafandar
EPs
Shitty Person – Dignity
The Fearless Flyers – The Fearless Flyers IV
Little Simz – Drop 7

I quite like it 😁
Yeah. I want more guitars and less electronic tomfoolery with my angular post punk revival bands. This sounds like Franz Ferdinand produced by Danger Mouse. I don’t hate it. It’s just not the type of music I was hoping for. I feel like Idles, Black Country, New Road, Squid, and now Yard Act all kind of abandoned the sound that made them interesting (to me) in the first place.

Oh well.

(Aside from Yard Act, who I've never cared for) this is the most accurate statement made so far in 2024.
I am probably being too harsh. I bet if I didn’t know this was Yard Act I would’ve enjoyed it more. I just was hoping for something different (albeit something more similar to their debut) from them.

I am probably being too harsh. I bet if I didn’t know this was Yard Act I would’ve enjoyed it more. I just was hoping for something different (albeit something more similar to their debut) from them.
Not at all. I think more "harsh" critiques are a good thing. It brings about good discussion and avoids conformation. Idk, I feel like anymore I'm seeing music critics/lovers etc. trying too hard/feeling obligated to like albums just... because. It's okay to go against the norm or to disagree. It's okay to be harsh (as long as you can back it up with proper reasoning). But music is subjective, and none of our opinions really matter anyway 😅 Listen to what you like, turn off what you don't like✌️

This new Yard Act album is not what I was hoping for.
"We Make Hits" is an absolute banger...both ironically and un-ironically. I'm settling in with the rest of the album...I think it's gonna take a few listens, but this feels like a grower.

it does kinda feel like these lads just hit fast forward on the Arctic Monkeys documentary...only watched '06 and '18 with no regard for the full arc and storyline

"We Make Hits" is an absolute banger...both ironically and un-ironically. I'm settling in with the rest of the album...I think it's gonna take a few listens, but this feels like a grower.

it does kinda feel like these lads just hit fast forward on the Arctic Monkeys documentary...only watched '06 and '18 with no regard for the full arc and storyline
Makes sense considering how I feel about modern day Arctic Monkeys.

Makes sense considering how I feel about modern day Arctic Monkeys.
oh agreed. this new Yard Act album is at least catchy. new AM does nothing for me.

though, it probably is more down to having had 4.5 really good albums and 10+ years of AM fandom...their change in sound feels more personal to me. only wading into Yard Act at this point.

I quite like it 😁

Yeah I’m really liking it. I’m in love with their debut ep “Dark Days” but really did not like the debut album so I have no idea what I wanted from them. Definitely a different sound and they are wearing their influences a little too obviously (“Petroleum” sounds EXACTLY like a beck song to me) but overall I think this is a good direction for them and a pretty great album

Last edited:
best_of_2024_february.png

1. Kali MaloneAll Life Long
  2. Helado NegroPhasor
  3. Concepción HuertaThe Earth Has Memory
  4. Damsel ElysiumWhispers from Ancient Vessels
  5. Braulio LamClaroscuro
  6. Chelsea WolfeShe Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She
  7. Fred FrithGuitar Solos / Fifty
  8. The Last Dinner PartyPrelude To Ecstasy
  9. Phill NiblockLooking For Daniel
  10. Little SimzDrop 7
  11. Lee "Scratch" PerryKing Perry
  12. KlysmaDeath
  13. Anchor and BurdenExtinction Level
  14. Dobytčí MorShambles
  15. KMFDMLET GO
  16. Champagne DubRainbow

Yeah. I want more guitars and less electronic tomfoolery with my angular post punk revival bands. This sounds like Franz Ferdinand produced by Danger Mouse. I don’t hate it. It’s just not the type of music I was hoping for. I feel like Idles, Black Country, New Road, Squid, and now Yard Act all kind of abandoned the sound that made them interesting (to me) in the first place.

Oh well.

I can't decide if I really like Yard Act or I can't stand them. Sometimes they remind me of Pulp (whom I love) but the beck side of things and the Art Brutishness of it all throws me off.

I'm with you on Squid, I threw on O Monolith again last week and I still don't click with it. I loved the first album and they are an amazing live act.

Most of these bands have struggled with follow-ups to their breakout albums. I wanted more from Shame as well.

I liked the first Yard Act album a lot initially, but it's not one that I've kept listening to tbh. This new one has more interesting things going on. I love Blackpool Illuminations. That kind of stuff just hits for me. The more dance-oriented singles I kind of find annoying, but I can still appreciate the move.

Also, I guess I need to listen to the new MGMT album again. I did one listen and it just really didn't jump out at me at all. I'm not a huge fan of them anyway. I love Congratulations, but that's about it (aside from the deep nostalgia of Oracular Spectacular).

I liked the first Yard Act album a lot initially, but it's not one that I've kept listening to tbh. This new one has more interesting things going on. I love Blackpool Illuminations. That kind of stuff just hits for me. The more dance-oriented singles I kind of find annoying, but I can still appreciate the move.

Also, I guess I need to listen to the new MGMT album again. I did one listen and it just really didn't jump out at me at all. I'm not a huge fan of them anyway. I love Congratulations, but that's about it (aside from the deep nostalgia of Oracular Spectacular).
I love both albums! Yard Act's debut was good but imo their sophomore album is even better! "Blackpool Illuminations" and "A Vineyard for the North" ⬆️ are both excellent tracks! The singles "We Make Hits" and "Dream Job" are absolute bangers 🔥 Overall, Where's My Utopia? Is a more ambitious, stylistically freeform project with various influences from afrobeat to 80's hip-hop to 2000s dance-pop mixed in with their familiar post-punk and socio-political spoken word commentaries.

As for Loss of Life it's a grower! It's a rewarding album if you are patient with it. So go back to it and listen to it again and again and again and when it clicks you'll thank me for it 😉

My go-to weekday listening is my massive playlist I constantly edit of singles released in 2024. So far this year, the albums listed below have most frequently drawn me from a single on that playlist to then want to listen to the artist's entire album. And for the record, I prefer listening through albums, but I need to focus on albums, so in life these days, this happens mainly on weekends when I can give them more attention, and spin it if own it.

1: Grandaddy - Blu Wave (slower than early Grandaddy, but so beautiful, and many lyrics hit perfectly)
2: Laetitia Sadier - Rooting For Love (there are so many great songs on here!)
3: Conchúr White - Swirling Violets (just gorgeous - reminds me of early slower Travis tracks)
4: Friko - Where We've Been, Where We Go From Here (not my usual taste, but something special about this one)
5: Ducks Lmtd - Harm's Way (so solid and consistent, all the way through)
6: Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Past is Still Alive (they took the Waxahatchee mellow turn, and I'm here for it)
7: Lime Garden - One More Thing (growing on me, might creep up the list as 2024 continues)
8: Whitlelands - Nightbound Eyes Are Blind to the Day (promising young shoegaze act, love this)

Potential to join, but haven't listened enough yet:

Mini Trees EP
Mannequin Pussy

Last edited:
Back