Best Music 🎶 of 2022!

Q4 Update

Total 2022 releases (albums/EPs/mixtapes) listened to as of December 16th: 191 320 424 504

Like with Q3, another 4x4 for the final quarter of the year, as the quantity of memorable releases was again somewhat diminished from Q1/Q2.

I am honestly taken aback by how much this year has strengthened my feelings about art pop being my favorite genre, with even more highlights in the final stanza of 2022. Björk, one of the OG art pop pillars, is still innovating 30+ years later. It has been implemented also in a Bolero/Latin fusion on Lucercia Dalt's unique ¡Ay!. Fievel is Glauque, a jazz-pop group so unmistakably taking notes from Stereolab, put forth a collection of short, quirky tunes. The singer/songwriter hybrid on Andrina Bollinger's under the radar Secret Seed was pointed out by @musicjunkiegreg, a gem that I've contemplated inclusion in my top50 for the year back and forth. A handful of others from the quarter.

If I had more time (or better yet, if it were released earlier in the year) to sit with Natalia Lafourcade's exceedingly impressive De todas las flores, it would have ranked quite easily in my top10 for the year. One to not overlook if you have any interest in Mexican folk music, bossa nova, vocal jazz, samba, or a pleasant singer/songwriter escapade.

Like before, no entries are ranked here; sorted in alphabetical order by band name/artist last name.

2022Q4Best.png
Alvvays - Blue Rev [dream pop, indie pop]
Björk - Fossora [art pop, experimental]
Boldy James & Nicolas Craven - Fair Exchange no Robbery [jazz rap, drumless, gangsta rap]
Andrina Bollinger - Secret Seed [art pop, singer/songwriter]

Lucercia Dalt - ¡Ay! [art pop, Latin jazz, electroacoustic]
Carla dal Forno - Come Around [ethereal wave, ambient pop]
Daphni - Cherry [deep house, tech house]
Fievel is Glauque - Flaming Swords [progressive pop, art pop]

Natalia Lafourcade - De todas las flores [Mexican folk music, singer/songwriter, bossa nova]
Little Simz - NO THANK YOU [UK hip hop, conscious hip hop]
Open Mike Eagle - A Tape Called Component System With the Auto Reverse [abstract hip hop, jazz rap]
Plains - I Walked With You a Ways [country pop, Americana]

Julia Romana - Blood be Fluid [art pop, alternative R&B]
SAULT - 11 [neo-soul, psychedelic soul]
Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow [baroque pop, art pop]
The Zenmenn and John Moods - Hidden Gem [downtempo, ambient pop, yacht rock]

Q1 Update
Q2 Update
Q3 Update

The singer/songwriter hybrid on Andrina Bollinger's under the radar Secret Seed was pointed out by @musicjunkiegreg, a gem that I've contemplated inclusion in my top50 for the year back and forth.
She deserves to at least squeak into your Top50 😉 Glad you found her album as much of a gem as I did! A Top RBF for the year!

I couldn't really handle the vocals on this, but musically I absolutely loved it!
I guess vocals like this are an acquired taste. I had a discussion with someone on here after the album dropped (I don't remember who) and they complained that the vocals made it almost unlistenable.. It's extreme metal! I think the vocals accompany the instrumentation perfectly. But that's just me 🤷‍♂️ #MusicIsSubjective This really should have been a Top10 album for me, but I just couldn't.. Glad you enjoyed the instrumentation! The work behind the kit by Josh was award-worthy, IMO 🥁

I guess vocals like this are an acquired taste. I had a discussion with someone on here after the album dropped (I don't remember who) and they complained that the vocals made it almost unlistenable.. It's extreme metal! I think the vocals accompany the instrumentation perfectly. But that's just me 🤷‍♂️ #MusicIsSubjective This really should have been a Top10 album for me, but I just couldn't.. Glad you enjoyed the instrumentation! The work behind the kit by Josh was award-worthy, IMO 🥁

I definitely intend to give it another go sometime. It's one of a small handful of albums this year and last that I really want to like more so I'll be dipping into them again periodically to see if repeat exposure does the trick!

Back