Best Music šŸŽµ of 2023!

The new Aesop Rock has me very happy. His best since 2016's The Impossible Kid.

I struggle with a 4th on my Rushmore because there are so many options and careers still in motion (ala Tyler & Danny Brown) but Outkast, Kendrick and Aesop Rock's place on it are chisled in rock.

I thought that the Malibu Ken album was great

I don't even know who Lankum is šŸ¤·

Theyā€™re an Irish trad band that use cinematic soundscapes and the uilleann pipes to create drone backdrops. I donā€™t know if Iā€™d call them quite folk metal but those drone elements definitely take a cue from black and doom metal.

Itā€™s also an uterlly fantastic album that will be well inside my top 10.

Last edited:
Theyā€™re an Irish trad band that use cinematic soundscapes and the uilleann pipes to create drone backdrops. I donā€™t know if Iā€™d call them quite folk metal but those drone elements definitely take a cue from black and doom metal.

Itā€™s also an uterlly fantastic album that will be well inside my top 10.
I'm about halfway through the album and I agree they do not sound folk metal at all but the drone music is very much present along with tradition Celtic fare. It's not bad if I do say so myself but I don't know that it's quite AOTY material for me šŸ¤·

I'm about halfway through the album and I agree they do not sound folk metal at all but the drone music is very much present along with tradition Celtic fare. It's not bad if I do say so myself but I don't know that it's quite AOTY material for me šŸ¤·

All these things are taste I suppose. Theyā€™re a band that have been on a journey and this feels like a peak in that. Theyā€™re also at the forefront of what feels like a very exciting point in time for Irish music and art more generally.

Itā€™s a year where I donā€™t think that anyone huge (maybe blur) or that is a magazine darling (maybe PJ Harvey) has done anything of note so I think itā€™s open season depending on what your preferences are.

The new Aesop Rock has me very happy. His best since 2016's The Impossible Kid.

I struggle with a 4th on my Rushmore because there are so many options and careers still in motion (ala Tyler & Danny Brown) but Outkast, Kendrick and Aesop Rock's place on it are chisled in rock.
Nice list, Outkast and Aes would be in my hall of fame but wouldnā€™t quite make it on my personal Hip-hop Mount Rushmore.

Mine would beā€¦

ATCQ
Beastie Boys
MF Doom
The Roots

Kanye used to be on there butā€¦you know.

MOJO's top 75 albums of 2023

I like the top end of this list. That top 3 is very close to what mine will be and the Julie Byrne is in the top 10 and that will also be there or there abouts. Also the Lisa Oā€™Neill album thatā€™s been floating around 15-20 in a couple of these lists is one Iā€™ve really enjoyed.

Probably not, I was mostly being cheeky, but I'm not gonna write off the possibility by pompously declaring all the best albums of the year have already been released.
Mehā€¦ I have a hard time hanging a best title on anything released in December. It has to blow my socks off (re: BeyoncĆ©ā€™s Self Titled and Dā€™Angeloā€™s most recent). I can understand folks feeling the same about November. If you wait till December/January you get lost in the mix. If you wait till February you are irrelevant.

Mehā€¦ I have a hard time hanging a best title on anything released in December. It has to blow my socks off (re: BeyoncĆ©ā€™s Self Titled and Dā€™Angeloā€™s most recent). I can understand folks feeling the same about November. If you wait till December/January you get lost in the mix. If you wait till February you are irrelevant.

Those Run The Jewels Christmas drops would like to disagree.

Those Run The Jewels Christmas drops would like to disagree.

I think the problem with as late as that is that shops and sites in particular, but also the former magazines, want to build a bit of hype around ā€œbest of the yearā€ in the run up to the Christmas buying season so doing these lists in early January isnā€™t ever going to be a likely proposal.

Back