Bandbox: an uncompensated review of an interesting new club

I think they should find a way to get the records out to people that are already pressed and people should get a full refund for anything that wasn't pressed. I almost got their exclusive version of lissies album but when they offered to send the album separately from the zine I decided to cancel my order because I honestly wasn't that interested in the zine, I had no idea when things would actually ship and there were other albums that I wanted more than this one. I rushed out and bought it because it was on a preorder sale but seeing the album get delayed made me realize that I didn't want the album as much as I though I did. If they didn't offer so many sales and sold things at normal prices they probably wouldn't have shut down. I don't get how they were constantly offering up new albums for preorders but they couldn't get their existing albums out in a timely manner. The exclusive version of the weather stations album was supposed to ship in october, november or december last year but I have no if the album was actually pressed or if it never got pressed because bandbox wasn't able to afford to pay the pressing plants to press the album.
This is not how any of this works haha. Even those records that are not in bandbox’s possession but were pressed can’t just be given to those who bought them from bandbox. Labels and artists weren’t paid, so the pressing plant can’t sell them. And the plants aren’t gonna take further losses on these by having to pay to ship records to 6,000 customers…

There’s an extremely high likelihood that:

*customers never get the records they paid for

*customers get no refunds

*labels and bands don’t get paid

*plants that pressed the records but were never shipped from the bandbox don’t get paid for their work

Maybe best case scenario is that the 8 or so albums that were pressed and not sent to bandbox can somehow make their way to customers. But the bands would have to agree to it (why would they without getting paid) and then the plant would likely charge shipping and handling at the least

I assume this is not you. No disrespect to this guy but two things I noticed. He actually paid Bandbox real money, second he is real optimistic about actually getting some records. If I get a nickel out of these guys much less a record, I will be over the moon.

Full disrespect to that guy - I skipped forward through his reading the legal documents (seriously?!), and was stunned midway through the video where he not only says "I am not a lawyer" but then proceeds to admit that everything he's been saying and will continue to say about the process is what he gleaned from ChatGPT prompts.

I have no problem with someone recording their thoughts on what's happened, and be open that they're hypothesizing what could still happen, but lead with 'I don't know any more than any other rando' so people aren't filled with false copium. MikeH is right that the *best* case scenario is some of the records make their way to customers, mostly because it's not clear right now what else could be done with the records at the pressing plants since they aren't actual Bandbox assets (melted down for next eco mix customer?), but the strongest likelihood is that every single creditor is fucked.

Interesting comment from Storf on the discord regards Bandbox ‘We're working on trying to help there lol’

And when asked if it would mean paying again: ‘Yes, but hopefully not too much more than what you already loaned Bandbox lol’

Interesting comment from Storf on the discord regards Bandbox ‘We're working on trying to help there lol’

And when asked if it would mean paying again: ‘Yes, but hopefully not too much more than what you already loaned Bandbox lol’
yea the guy from echo base got in touch with VMP and others to see if they could help handle distribution. i don't think echo base has a shipping/fulfilment center to send out thousands of individual orders.

I mean short of Bandbox shipping stuff, I think I am screwed. I logged into the account I thought I had Mould on, turns out all that was on that account was Yo La Tengo and the kids stuff. The other account was tied to my old work email which is no more and I don’t remember the password. Should have taken Pam up on the Mould without zine offer.

Good to know storf still annoyingly uses lol as punctuation

I mean short of Bandbox shipping stuff, I think I am screwed. I logged into the account I thought I had Mould on, turns out all that was on that account was Yo La Tengo and the kids stuff. The other account was tied to my old work email which is no more and I don’t remember the password. Should have taken Pam up on the Mould without zine offer.
if your name and address is tied to it, you can probably still get it. i'm of the mindset that i don't expect anybody to get any of it short of someone buying the albums at liquidation and re-selling them.

Back