The Pogues - “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah”
R.E.M. - “Stand”
Bruce Cockburn - “If A Tree Falls”
New Order - “Fine Time”

New Additions
The Connells - “Something To Say”

Elvis Costello - “…This Town”

Thelonious Monster - “So What If I Did”

I am not familiar with the new additions. I am only familiar with Thelonious Monster because of that terrible late 00s VH1 reality show, Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew where Thelonious Monster’s lead singer, Bob Forrest was a former addict/councilor.

He seemed like a good dude but I never heard any of his bands music. This song here seems decent though.

I am not familiar with the new additions. I am only familiar with Thelonious Monster because of that terrible late 00s VH1 reality show, Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew where Thelonious Monster’s lead singer, Bob Forrest was a former addict/councilor.

He seemed like a good dude but I never heard any of his bands music. This song here seems decent though.
I saw them quite a few times in the late 80's / early 90's. Most memorable time was a benefit at the Hollywood Palladium for the bass player in Mary's Danish. Thelonious Monster, Mary's Danish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Beastie Boys doing one of their few Pauls Boutique era shows.

They usually had 3-4 guitarists on stage and were a great live band. They were on the decline I think by the time this particular album came out. Their first album "Baby... You're bummin my life out in a supreme fashion" I remember listening to quite a bit.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 04/15/1989
IMG_3298.jpeg

No. 1 Song
XTC - “Mayor Of Simpleton”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Midge Ure - “Dear God”
Cowboy Junkies - “Sweet Jane”
The Fixx - “Driven Out”
Thelonious Monster - “So What If I Did”
U2 - “God Part II”

New Additions
The Cult - “Fire Woman”

Depeche Mode - “Everything Counts”

fIREHOSE - “Time With You”

Sidewinders - “Witchdoctor”

I'm surprised at how long "Mayor Of Simpleton" has been at the top
The song has basically been stuck in my head off and on since I started this project. I can see why it had such staying power that being said The Proclaimers is a gigantic ear worm also but it has started to fade which is surprising that it never climbed higher knowing how popular it would become 5 years later.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 04/22/1989
IMG_3299.jpeg

No. 1 Song
XTC - “Mayor Of Simpleton”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Lou Reed - “Dirty Blvd.”
The Wonder Stuff - “Give Give Give Me More More More”
Sidewinders - “Witchdoctor”
Love and Rockets - “Motorcycle”

New Additions
The Cure - “Fascination Street”

Pixies - “Monkey Gone To Heaven”