Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Thrashing Doves - “Angel Visit”
Elvis Costello - “Veronica”
Throwing Muses - “Dizzy”
Violent Femmes - “Nightmares”

New Additions
Love & Rockets - “So Alive”

Xymox - “Obsession”

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - “Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two-Headed Love Child”

That Love and Rockets song... Love it so much now but thought it was super cheesy at the time.

Featuring Winona Ryder as Debbie Gibson!
Didn’t even realize. That makes it even better .

RIP Mojo Nixon.

I played this song for my SO while we were running errands and her response was, “That was on the charts!?” Stuff like this are what make these charts so interesting in my opinion, lots really cool music bubbling just below the mainstream.

That Love and Rockets song... Love it so much now but thought it was super cheesy at the time.
I was 7years old at the time of its original release so I wasn’t overly familiar with the track at the time but it was my introduction to the band and I always loved it just sounds cool and sexy in all the right ways.

Didn’t realize Sean Lennon had a bit of a hit with Heaven. According to Wikipedia it hit #5 in Australia. Guess that is better than being big in Belgium
Yeah, my only familiarity with any Julian Lennon tunes came from one of his music videos appearing on Beavis & Butthead.

from Billboard the week of May 6th 1989:

View attachment 202240

a great year for Tom Petty!
This issue is pretty good they rejiggered the magazine layout a bit and the captured images are in full color. This image jumped out at me too. Think about how big this album would become.
Did you know that MCA rejected this album?
I was not aware. It’s wild how dumb record labels can be. They ended up releasing it though, correct? I think MCA still released it. Did he have to make changes to get them to release it?

This issue is pretty good they rejiggered the magazine layout a bit and the captured images are in full color. This image jumped out at me too. Think about how big this album would become.

I was not aware. It’s wild how dumb record labels can be. They ended up releasing it though, correct? I think MCA still released it. Did he have to make changes to get them to release it?
I don’t think so. He ended up at a dinner with some WB execs and played them something from it and they secretly signed a deal for when his deal with MCA expired. I think maybe some convincing from Lynne/Harrison and concern over him being unhappy lead to MCA releasing it. MCA said they didn’t hear a hit.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. He ended up at a dinner with some WB execs and played them something from it and they secretly signed a deal for when his deal with MCA expired. I think maybe some convincing from Lynne/Harrison and concern over him being unhappy lead to MCA releasing it. MCA said they didn’t hear a hit.
Looked it up. Guy who was in charge of the label left and new management liked it.

'88 was around the time that my musical tastes had shifted to this era. My mother had transplanted us to Florida(from Ohio) and I was not happy about having to start over again with making friends and finishing my last 2 years of high school in a different setting. Prior to moving, I mostly listened to hair metal and some pop music. But once in Florida, I remember going to an outdoor flea market and seeking out whatever table/booth had the music. Bought 2 cassettes that day, which I believe I still have. Slayer-South of Heaven and Circle Jerks-Group Sex.
I did meet friends that shared similar tastes and then came along 120 minutes and I was forever changed.

This is a great trip down memory lane!

Now excuse me while I go to the bathroom and cry because I am old.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 05/13/1989
IMG_4339.jpeg

No. 1 Song
The Cure - “Fascination Street”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
R.E.M. - “Turn You Inside-Out”
The Replacements - “I’ll Be You”
Midge Ure - “Answers To Nothing”
Erasure - “Stop!”
Fine Young Cannibals - “She Drives Me Crazy”

New Additions
The Godfathers - “She Gives Me Love”

The Ramones - “Pet Sematary”

Concrete Blonde - “God Is A Bullet”

Last edited:
Weird that Tom Petty is relegated to minor leagues
I don't even feel that Tom Petty falls under the category of "modern rock" at the time so it's interesting to see him here but I'm sure he'll only climb the chart with that song.

It's fun to see these charts because I've mentioned before that my first 3 CDs I got with my first CD player in '89 were Tom Petty, Fine Young Cannibals, and B-52's (Love Shack and Roam should be showing up on this chart at some point).

Back