August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

The Thrill Is Gone?

That's a damn shame, but you're in good company. Most Things Haven't Worked Out.

My00NzI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

2. The Thrill Is Gone

My first thought was blues in general or BB himself but then I just kept thinking about the song title and what’s going on in the lyric. He’s not feeling it anymore and he’s saying he’s glad about it, but that he’ll be lonely, and she’ll be sorry for hurting him. It’s not necessarily wallowing, he’s getting over it, but I keep coming back to the title line. It’s gone, and then I jokingly asked myself, where did it go?

And so what else could I choose? 😊

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
001965BF-91FF-4933-A54A-255EE7DE8DE6.jpeg

02. The Thrill is Gone

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
756DB303-0932-4B1D-8140-AD759FACE914.jpeg
I just picked up a copy of B.B.’s Completely Well last week thus my mind initially went that direction but I was beaten to the punch with that. So then I starting thinking about both the title and and the blues and at some point I thought of Kurt’s eulogistic performance of Lead Belly’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night”.

02. The Thrill is Gone

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
View attachment 147687
I just picked up a copy of B.B.’s Completely Well last week thus my mind initially went that direction but I was beaten to the punch with that. So then I starting thinking about both the title and and the blues and at some point I thought of Kurt’s eulogistic performance of Lead Belly’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night”.

@Wicked Dreamer didn’t play Completely Well

1. Gabriel's Oboe
Babe Ruth – Babe Ruth
20220802_172915.jpg

Interestingly, the only two LPs in my collection that pop up when searching for Ennio Morricone are both Babe Ruth albums. Probably the most familiar is the interpolation of "Per Qualche Dollaro In Piu" in their song "The Mexican" - which was my introduction to the band but this, their self-titled third album, features a ripping rendition of "A Fistful Of Dollars." Babe Ruth's 70s discography is the first full artist discography I completed once the record collecting fired up. They did release an album in 2009 after 33 years of radio silence, but I haven't checked it out. Their first three albums though are absolutely solid stuff!

Last edited:
2. The Thrill is Gone

I decided to go with the song title itself as inspiration for what to play today. I was going to play an album I am no longer excited to play, but then decided to go with Black Pumas.
I loved the single, Colors, and then loved pretty much the whole album when it came out, and had a blast at their concert right before Covid hit. It was a great show, and I was mesmerized by Adrian Quesada, such a great player and a calm cool stage presence. Eric Burton killed it too. I had high hopes for the next batch of songs, but it just didn’t happen. (Yet?)

So now I don’t have much optimism or excitement about them putting out something great again. Just a one-off? Maybe.

DDA70B09-03A7-478A-BD78-1545F87FC0AD.jpeg

Day 2
The Thrill is Gone

For the longest time, blues was just BB King, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters to me. King was the tops though. I tried through out the years to get in deeper but couldn’t.

Then VMP did their reissue of Taj Mahal’s eponymous debut. It was my Rosetta stone. The genre just opened up for me at that point.

A bit later I happened upon the reissue of the Folkways record Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry Sing*. It remains my most favorite blues record.

So, when this record was announced, of course I had to grab it. I didn’t know at the time that the two artists had a long history.
22E045C1-8D19-47AB-996B-E11C54DF6E24.jpeg
Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder - Get on Board: The Songs of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

*I am a big fan of Folkways as I am very interested in the history of music. The liner notes are one of my favorite things about Folkways records. My copy of Brownie and Sonny Sing was missing the booklet. I reached out to Folkways and they sent me a pdf which I neglected to read. It was a few years later before I found out that the duo had spent a good bit of their career right here in Durham. I discovered this reading a book entitled Step It Up & Go by David Menconi. It is an overview of popular music in North Carolina.

Last edited:
2. The Thrill is Gone

I decided to go with the song title itself as inspiration for what to play today. I was going to play an album I am no longer excited to play, but then decided to go with Black Pumas.
I loved the single, Colors, and then loved pretty much the whole album when it came out, and had a blast at their concert right before Covid hit. It was a great show, and I was mesmerized by Adrian Quesada, such a great player and a calm cool stage presence. Eric Burton killed it too. I had high hopes for the next batch of songs, but it just didn’t happen. (Yet?)

So now I don’t have much optimism or excitement about them putting out something great again. Just a one-off? Maybe.

View attachment 147715
The album Quesada put out this year is pretty awesome, very different but good stuff.

Day 2
The Thrill is Gone

I was lucky enough to see BB King once in Boulder. He was supposed to do a story teller event and just talk and tell us about his life. But about five minutes in he said, you all don't really want to hear me talk you want to hear me play. And out came his guitar. He was already in poor health and couldn't stand, but even sitting and complaining of his finger pain making it harder to play, he put on a show to remember from his chair. But when I read the prompt, the first thing that popped into my head wasn't the blues. It was this atmospheric funeral black metal band, An Autumn For Crippled Children. So I'm spinning their album All Fell Silent, Everything Went Quiet.

I've listened to this band a lot this past year. They fit my mood when I think of how fucked our world is and how the thrill of the future is gone because of capitalist greed and a hatred of difference.

#RevolutionOrExtinction
I Want My Thrill Back
IMG20220802235118.jpg

Back