Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

6 - Stillsuits: Play an album so long that you wish you had a special suit to prevent the need for bathroom trips.

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

I bought this last summer and am just now finally making time to spin it. It’s three LPs so not THAT long, but definitely one of the longest studio albums I have on vinyl.

IMG_6196.jpeg

6 - Stillsuits: Play an album so long that you wish you had a special suit to prevent the need for bathroom trips.

Why haven't they invented stillsuits for concerts yet? How do people hold the rail all day at festivals? Questions I probably don't want to know the answer to.

The Grateful Dead's Europe 72 tour started 52 years ago today (4/7/72), so it seemed appropriate to play this 4 LP release. I went with Volume 2 since it contains a couple of tracks from the 4/7/72 show. Me & My Uncle, Not Fade Away --> Goin Down the Road Feelin' Bad --> Not Fade Away. Plus an almost hour long Dark Star --> Drums --> Other One that's a guaranteed pee break on its own.

Grateful Dead ~ Europe '72 Volume 2

IMG_6674.jpeg

The The "The Comeback Special - Live At Royal Albert Hall" (2021 Cinéola)
Triple LP live show, fantastic recording, superb pressing, all banger no filler. Get this if you come across it.

View attachment 199776

Lol I’m still going through this album today. Had to stop after the first LP since the girls thought I was making too much noise late in the evening. This one benefits from being cranked so I didn’t want to finish on headphones. Anyway, I was following up because no joke I think this might be one of the best live recordings pressed to vinyl I’ve heard.

7 - The Bene Gesserit: Play something bewitching.

Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want to Turn into You

Her ethereal voice and the wonderful production provide a bewitching mix that the Bene Gesserit would be proud of.

1000073218-jpg.191720

8 - Shai-Hulud: The giant sandworm is the lynchpin of the whole desert ecosystem. Play something by someone highly influential.

“The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band.” ― Brian Eno

The Velvet Underground & Nico - S/T

IMG_4861.jpeg

3 - Lisan al Gaib: This means "the voice from the outer world." Play something from outside your part of the world.

R.E.M. - Unplugged 1991
Song: “Half A World Away”
IMG_6957.jpeg

Actually probably one of the bands that’s closest to where I live, but couldn’t pass on the opportunity to play one of my favorite live performances

Back