Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

Day 27
IMG_7219.jpeg
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

One of the most epic songs about cheating ever:

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever listened to the stereo mix in headphones before (at least not critically)… this is as bananas as the original Sgt Peppers stereo.

27 - Chani: Play something having to do with disappointment or betrayal.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Playing this for the song “Hang Down Your Head”. A song where the narrator finds out that their partner has left them for someone else.

IMG_6476.jpeg

28 - Emperor Shaddam IV: Play something that by an artist that used to rule but has dropped off some.

I was there from the beginning and as The Black Keys became more formulaic and drifted from their original sound to a slick, sales-oriented product, they got none of my money.

I filmed this show back in 2003 with a couple hundred other people who showed up in a 1K capacity room. My video hit the trading circuit to help out other fans. Once that happens, the genie is out of the bottle, and you can't control quality.

Someone uploaded a low-res copy of my video with my hi-fi stereo audio compressed to mono in the left channel only on YouTube.

It is better to have recorded and lost than not to have recorded at all.

C'est la vie.

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness

IMG_5058.jpeg

29 - Water of Life: Play something where an artist leveled up in some way.

Creating a new rock genre would most likely be considered a level up. Making it near flawless would be considered sublime...

Video recorded back when Pete's tinnitus was so bad he had to abandon playing electric guitar. He played the acoustic with the same violence...

The Who - Tommy

IMG_5059.jpeg

28 - Emperor Shaddam IV: Play something that by an artist that used to rule but has dropped off some.

I was looking forward to todays spin, until I realized the song I was thinking of wasn't on the album I had. So I'm gonna stretch the connection out a bit, Kevin Bacon style.

Fatboy Slim was omnipresent for a time with this album released in the late 90's. The subsequent album to this was just as big thanks to the video for Weapon of Choice, featuring Emperor Shaddam IV dancing to a song that includes the lyrics "walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm".

Fatboy Slim ~ You've Come A Long Way, Baby

IMG_7046.jpeg

Green Day definitely drank the water of life on this release that displayed a level of maturity, political activism, and songwriting that they hadn't displayed previously.

Green Day ~ American Idiot

IMG_7047.jpeg

Kiwanuka is an outstanding album IMO. The jump from Home Again to Love & Hate might have been bigger, but from L&H to Kiwanuka has me very excited for what he'll do next.
Really hope MK has some new music coming soon

IMG_7926.JPG

Teenage Fanclub - Nothing Lasts Forever

I decided to go with the gentler version of this- a band who just keeps going and settles into a groove that is good and enjoyable, but never really reaches for the heights of their earlier work. I still like listening to the band's recent work, but I don't need it on vinyl or anything and I'm satisfied with my Bandcamp-sourced digital files.

1000149076.jpg

Kiwanuka is an outstanding album IMO. The jump from Home Again to Love & Hate might have been bigger, but from L&H to Kiwanuka has me very excited for what he'll do next.
Really hope MK has some new music coming soon

View attachment 201493
He’s doing a bunch of touring… so 🤞

29 - Water of Life: Play something where an artist leveled up in some way

Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven

I think people know about them more than ever, which is a good thing. Most of their vinyl offerings are sold out after just a few weeks of release. This album rocks!

PXL_20240429_235113947.jpg

Day 28
IMG_7232.jpeg
St. Vincent - All Born Screaming

My angle on this is that she was a bit of a indie darling until Jack Antonoff worked on her last two projects. Then the indie crowd complained a bit. I actually like the last two albums but could see how folks were a little put off by them. This album is a lot of fun and after a couple of streams had to come home with me when I swung by the shop to pick up my new Iron & Wine.

Last edited:
Day 29
IMG_7233.jpeg
Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Trent Reznor made a great album with Pretty Hate Machine and a perfect album with The Downward Spiral. In between was this ep. Pretty Hate Machine owed a large debt to the likes of Ministry and Depeche Mode. It was synth pop disguised as dance industrial. This transcended its debts and became its own thing. He amped up the guitars, amped up the layers, amped up the production and became a force in and of itself. He would level up again, but the building blocks were all here.

Edit: I’m gonna need a new color sticker to mark things to not play through the senns under any circumstances. Damn things are falling apart during the noisiest bits.

Last edited:

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

They released their best material in the late 90s and early 2000s. I don’t think anything since then has captured that same magic.

IMG_6479.jpeg

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

They released their best material in the late 90s and early 2000s. I don’t think anything since then has captured that same magic.

View attachment 201542

I actually really enjoy their post Good News albums, and loved seeing them live last year, but this one and Moon & Antarctica are on another level.

Back