April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

April 1 – Samuel R. Delany, Aye, and Gomorrah…

Reckon I'll dive into this and be the guinea pig. Hopefully, I'll earn my associates degree in the next 31 days.

I'm gonna play this thing at face value based on the excerpt posted. Not gonna research the story or see what the context may be in regards to the whole. Going straight for the visceral reaction. That will likely spell disaster for me, leading to the inevitable summer school session.

My immediate association from this one - Bowie. Celestial being, floating above us, going from world to world, stimulating the meninges...

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

20220401_011933.jpg

Last edited:

Reckon I'll dive into this and be the guinea pig. Hopefully, I'll earn my associates degree in the next 31 days.

I'm gonna to play this thing at face value based on the excerpt posted. Not gonna research the story or see what the context may be in regards to the whole. Going straight for the visceral reaction.

My immediate association from this one - Bowie. Celestial being, floating above us, going from world to world, stimulating the meninges...

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

View attachment 134117

That was gonna be my pick too! :LOL:

I'm gonna do my best with this one...most of my posts will be without comment or explanation.

Sleep – The Sciences
Third Man Records – TMR 547, 2018

Cut by Robert Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Pressed at Third Man Pressing

RDifJ7.jpg

fYVvIP.jpg

does this fit...I have no idea I'm just piggybacking on others posts
View attachment 134144

Zodiac (3) – Music In The Universe​

Label:Мелодия – С60 — 18365-6
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Export Edition
Released:1982
Genre:Electronic, Rock
Style:Space Rock, Prog Rock, Disco
There are no wrong answers. If the prompt made you think of this album, then hell yeah it fits! Thanks for indulging my nerdo challenge.
d14cb1c6-b4f3-4fce-a296-b4c2a5b80412_text.gif

• “"Yes." She looked down. I glanced to see the expression she was hiding. It was a smile. "You have your glorious, soaring life—and you have us." Her face came up. She glowed. "You spin in the sky, the world spins under you, and you step from land to land, while we . . ." She turned her head right, left, and her black hair curled and uncurled on the shoulder of her coat. "We have our dull, circled lives, bound in gravity, worshiping you!" She looked back at me. "Perverted, yes? In love with a bunch of corpses in free fall!" Suddenly she hunched her shoulders. "I don't like having a free-fall-sexual-displacement complex."”

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

Sexual ✅
Lenticular cover, looking left & right ✅
Black hair ✅
fancy coats ✅
If you watch the film, there are corpses. ✅

PXL_20220401_124450441.jpg

PXL_20220401_124500424.jpg

• “"Yes." She looked down. I glanced to see the expression she was hiding. It was a smile. "You have your glorious, soaring life—and you have us." Her face came up. She glowed. "You spin in the sky, the world spins under you, and you step from land to land, while we . . ." She turned her head right, left, and her black hair curled and uncurled on the shoulder of her coat. "We have our dull, circled lives, bound in gravity, worshiping you!" She looked back at me. "Perverted, yes? In love with a bunch of corpses in free fall!" Suddenly she hunched her shoulders. "I don't like having a free-fall-sexual-displacement complex."”
Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever" (1989 MCA; 2019 Dublin Vinyl reissue)

IMG_2360.JPG

It’s interesting trying to decipher these excerpts with no context. Idk if the narrator is actually some sort of deity or celestial, but he’s clearly operating on a different level. At least from the woman’s perspective. Ziggy Stardust was my first thought, but that’s been scooped. Here’s my second choice.

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High

318544BF-C9E1-443E-8BE9-7A27D92C3622.jpeg

Day 1
Samuel R. Delany, Aye, and Gomorrah…

Alright, this is an interesting challenge! Let's go to school!

Clarence Clarity - No Now
Taking the excerpt with no context, the situation reads like a struggle between some cosmic, awesome being beyond human comprehension and someone who has spent their life worshipping this deity. Maybe someone having some sort of crisis of faith?

I admit I'm not religious myself, but I do often find fiction that deals with themes and questions regarding potential higher powers fascinating. A lot of it comes from the idea that whatever God is being discussed - a supernatural, all-knowing entity - is said to punish those who "sin", but nobody is exactly sure of what that entails. Is hedonism itself worthy of damnation? It would seem we are created with an innate desire for euphoric sensations, while simultaneously taught it's wrong to indulge in such things. It's especially tricky in regards to sex - the thing that humanity requires to exist. Are you supposed to enjoy the acting of making love, or is such enjoyment sinful as well? What is the difference between when a God creates life and two mortals do the same thing? Are we just the playthings of a cruel puppetmaster who likes watching us self-destruct? If we're created in the image of a perfect God, then why are we all so flawed? So many questions and contradicting ideas, it's no wonder that eventually, some individuals who have tried to live life according to a strict dogma, will experience feelings and thoughts that make them question what they think they know about our relationship with whatever cosmic force might be out there.

I think a lot of the themes I've mentioned are addressed beautifully on Clarence Clarity's larger than life debut album No Now. I obviously really love this record and consider it one of the most formative albums in regards to my personal musical journey. But that's only looking at it on a surface level, and my admiration of this record grew much deeper when I began to sit down and really analyze it's lyrics. Throughout the album, Clarence seems to be playing the role of the kind of omniscient, magnificent deity I mentioned before - or at least, someone who believes themselves to be one. However, it becomes clear that this character does not at all resemble the average idea of the divine - they are narcissistic, perverted, self-indulgent and it's clear their view of Earth is that it's little more than a giant, round septic tank.

As the ideas of superheroes have become more ingrained in modern fiction, several writers have had fun with the thesis, "What if Superman was evil?" I think No Now is just another spin on this concept - what if the God you've spent your whole life praying turns out to be the biggest sinner of them all? How would you react? Would you be angry, sad? Or would you just have to laugh, realizing that the code you lived your life by was ultimately meaningless? It's a very nihilistic thought, but it's questions like these that feed our fear of the unknown, our wariness of the other side. What if it's not what we were promised? How will we ever know?

Existential diatribes aside, thanks to @Hemotep for hosting this month, I'm going to try my best to keep up! Sorry for the long first post, but I figured it would be appropriate to go a bit deeper with my analysis than usual since you've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this month's challenge and waxing philosophical is fun sometimes 😄 look forward to the upcoming days!
20220401_121446.jpg

Day 1
Samuel R. Delany, Aye, and Gomorrah…

Alright, this is an interesting challenge! Let's go to school!

Clarence Clarity - No Now
Taking the excerpt with no context, the situation reads like a struggle between some cosmic, awesome being beyond human comprehension and someone who has spent their life worshipping this deity. Maybe someone having some sort of crisis of faith?

I admit I'm not religious myself, but I do often find fiction that deals with themes and questions regarding potential higher powers fascinating. A lot of it comes from the idea that whatever God is being discussed - a supernatural, all-knowing entity - is said to punish those who "sin", but nobody is exactly sure of what that entails. Is hedonism itself worthy of damnation? It would seem we are created with an innate desire for euphoric sensations, while simultaneously taught it's wrong to indulge in such things. It's especially tricky in regards to sex - the thing that humanity requires to exist. Are you supposed to enjoy the acting of making love, or is such enjoyment sinful as well? What is the difference between when a God creates life and two mortals do the same thing? Are we just the playthings of a cruel puppetmaster who likes watching us self-destruct? If we're created in the image of a perfect God, then why are we all so flawed? So many questions and contradicting ideas, it's no wonder that eventually, some individuals who have tried to live life according to a strict dogma, will experience feelings and thoughts that make them question what they think they know about our relationship with whatever cosmic force might be out there.

I think a lot of the themes I've mentioned are addressed beautifully on Clarence Clarity's larger than life debut album No Now. I obviously really love this record and consider it one of the most formative albums in regards to my personal musical journey. But that's only looking at it on a surface level, and my admiration of this record grew much deeper when I began to sit down and really analyze it's lyrics. Throughout the album, Clarence seems to be playing the role of the kind of omniscient, magnificent deity I mentioned before - or at least, someone who believes themselves to be one. However, it becomes clear that this character does not at all resemble the average idea of the divine - they are narcissistic, perverted, self-indulgent and it's clear their view of Earth is that it's little more than a giant, round septic tank.

As the ideas of superheroes have become more ingrained in modern fiction, several writers have had fun with the thesis, "What if Superman was evil?" I think No Now is just another spin on this concept - what if the God you've spent your whole life praying turns out to be the biggest sinner of them all? How would you react? Would you be angry, sad? Or would you just have to laugh, realizing that the code you lived your life by was ultimately meaningless? It's a very nihilistic thought, but it's questions like these that feed our fear of the unknown, our wariness of the other side. What if it's not what we were promised? How will we ever know?

Existential diatribes aside, thanks to @Hemotep for hosting this month, I'm going to try my best to keep up! Sorry for the long first post, but I figured it would be appropriate to go a bit deeper with my analysis than usual since you've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this month's challenge and waxing philosophical is fun sometimes 😄 look forward to the upcoming days!
View attachment 134172
Day one: I went with the obvious choice.

Also, I could imagine her saying this quote exactly: "I don't like having a free-fall-sexual-displacement complex."

Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica
View attachment 134176
Two albums featuring Clarence back to back! CC approves.
thumbs-up-clarence-clarity.gif

Day 01: Samuel R. Delany, Aye, and Gomorrah…

Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
83E61A3E-B440-430A-8545-A594A7EF9BA3.jpeg

For those unfamiliar with Dr Octagon, he is an extraterrestrial, time-traveling gynecologist and surgeon originally from Jupiter. Since these “Spacers” are engaging prostitution with the Frelks, it seems like a alien OBGYN might prove useful?

Day 1: Aye, and Gomorrah

So after my first choice was instantly swiped, I checked out the story in full. The themes of loneliness, desperation for companionship & sexual fetishism/desire had me thinking of this album instantly:

Weezer - Pinkerton

01D62CE0-ACFD-4FDD-BE1D-555CF056C576.jpeg

At least Rivers can actually feel those desires …though I’m not sure if he’s better or worse off because of that…

Last edited:
Back