April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

April 13: Chinua Achebe, The Sacrificial Egg
  • “Julius was worried because it was almost a week since he had seen Janet, the girl he was going to marry. Ma had explained to him very gently that he should no longer come to see them "until this thing is over by the power of Jehovah." Ma was a very devout Christian, and one reason why she approved of Julius for her only daughter was that he sang in the church choir.”
The first thing that popped into my head.

If you're not familiar with the story of Waldo Jeffers, it's a doozy...

The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat

20211015_001253.jpg

• “Julius was worried because it was almost a week since he had seen Janet, the girl he was going to marry. Ma had explained to him very gently that he should no longer come to see them "until this thing is over by the power of Jehovah." Ma was a very devout Christian, and one reason why she approved of Julius for her only daughter was that he sang in the church choir.
Bob Dylan ~ Slow Train Coming

1649866819084.png

April 14: Nicola Barker, G-String
  • Jeanie picked up something that resembled an obscenely elongated garter and proffered it to Gillian. Gillian took hold of the scrap.
  • What’s this?’
  • ‘G-string.’
  • ‘My God, girls wear these in Dave Lee Roth videos.’
  • ‘Who’s that?’ Jeanie asked, sucking in her cheeks, insouciant.
  • ‘They aren’t practical,’ Gillian said.
  • Jeanie’s eyes narrowed. ‘These are truly modern knickers,’ she said. ‘These are what everyone wears now. And I’ll tell you for why. No visible pantie line!’
  • Gillian didn’t dare inform her that material was the whole point of a pantie. Wasn’t it?
  • Oh hell, Gillian thought, shifting on Mr Kip’s Aston Martin’s leather seats, ‘maybe I should’ve worn it in for a few days first.’ It felt like her G-string was making headway from between her buttocks up into her throat. She felt like a leg of lamb, trussed up with cheese wire. Now she knew how a horse felt when offered a new bit and bridle for the first time.
The first thing that popped into my head...

Ian Dury - New Boots And Panties!!

20220414_003032.jpg

• Jeanie picked up something that resembled an obscenely elongated garter and proffered it to Gillian. Gillian took hold of the scrap.
  • What’s this?’
  • ‘G-string.’
  • Jeanie’s eyes narrowed. ‘These are truly modern knickers,’ she said. ‘These are what everyone wears now. And I’ll tell you for why. No visible pantie line!’
  • Gillian didn’t dare inform her that material was the whole point of a pantie. Wasn’t it?
  • Oh hell, Gillian thought, shifting on Mr Kip’s Aston Martin’s leather seats, ‘maybe I should’ve worn it in for a few days first.’ It felt like her G-string was making headway from between her buttocks up into her throat. She felt like a leg of lamb, trussed up with cheese wire. Now she knew how a horse felt when offered a new bit and bridle for the first time.
The first thing that popped into my head...

Ian Dury - New Boots And Panties!!

View attachment 135622

I was expecting you to come with some Amorica.

I was expecting you to come with some Amorica.
One of my favorite records of all time. That would've been very worthy.

I'm counting on someone to take up the slack.

I play all these challenges via immediate stream of consciousness. I don't look at the clue until I pull it up to post.

I'd watched this film a couple weeks ago so it was fresh...

Last edited:
April 12: Huzama Habayeb, A (Somewhat) Realistic Dream

I got distracted yesterday by student emergencies and endless zoom calls in the morning, and this one was interrupted twice which led to me forgetting to post it.

The lyrics of these songs don't fit the story, but the title of the album is what popped into my head when I read the quote from the story.

Sevendust - Black Out the Sun

Screenshot_20220414-063658.jpg

Had a couple nights of work, so I'm catching up...

Spirit – Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus
Epic – KE 30267, 1973

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

XDUjhd.jpg

l0dOqM.jpg

“Julius was worried because it was almost a week since he had seen Janet, the girl he was going to marry. Ma had explained to him very gently that he should no longer come to see them "until this thing is over by the power of Jehovah." Ma was a very devout Christian, and one reason why she approved of Julius for her only daughter was that he sang in the church choir.”

I had a hard time picking what I wanted to play for this one because so many albums fit and I wasn't sure what direction to go. I love when bands use choirs so that was really pulling me. But I feel like listening to this one this morning so it won out. And it just feels right for the story.

The Daptone Super Soul Review Live at the Apollo

Screenshot_20220414-065154.jpg

Had a couple nights of work, so I'm catching up...

Spirit – Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus
Epic – KE 30267, 1973

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

XDUjhd.jpg

l0dOqM.jpg
@LeeVing I'm really glad you posted this because I had completely forgotten about this album and haven't heard it in years but remember it being fantastic. So this is going on my afternoon playlist while I prep for class.

• What’s this?’
  • ‘G-string.’

My first choice would have been Pulp's Different Class, but I still don't have a vinyl copy. So this is my back-up...

David Bowie "Aladdin Sane" (1973 RCA; 2016 remaster)
He says he's a beautician and sells you nutrition
And keeps all your dead hair for making up
Underwear
-The Jean Genie

IMG_2386.JPG

• What’s this?’
  • ‘G-string.’
Obviousness of the album cover aside, after reading the story I can see Gillian coming home from her date with a bit of new found introspection and confidence, and connecting with this particular record.

St. Vincent ~ Masseduction

1649950208854.png

Back