April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

Well, that was a wonderfully challenging challenge that I decided to go an make more challenging for myself! Thanks so much, @Hemotep - I'm keeping this one bookmarked and plan to go through it again sometime and actually read the full stories, not just the excerpts while allowing myself to respond with anything from the stacks, not just Sun Ra-y stuff.

Besides some of the covers below being variants from the ones I have, here's what my month looked like:
chart (5).png
*Day 5: dragstrip.jpg **Day 8: solerien.jpg ***Day 30: prophetica.jpg

April 27: Will Christopher Baer, Suffer the Fool
  • There is a calendar on the back of the door, stuck on the wrong month. The picture is taken from an old Dick Tracy comic. I flip the months past Little Nemo, The Phantom, Betty Boop. I grind my teeth and shiver. Betty Boop disturbs me. Her eyes are too big for her head and she has no actual mouth. Her figure is freakish. The shrunken waist and big curvy breasts, the thighs of a dwarf. I turn to look in the medicine cabinet. The usual female gear, mysterious and oddly threatening. I swallow several prescription diet pills and hope my world will accelerate. Through the closed door I can hear Emma and Michelle, hissing at each other.
The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

The overall seedy vibe makes me want to play some Afghan Whigs. I only have their stuff on CD, so digital it is!

Screenshot_20220430-143952.png

April 30: David Markson, This is Not a Novel
  • Hatred of the bourgeois is the beginning of all virtue, said Flaubert.
  • Tell all the Truth but tell it slant—
  • As a sort of mantra, Kant would sometimes recite a list of people who had lived long lives, hoping to match them. He reached eighty.
  • Gluck’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Haydn’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Mozart’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Ludwig Wittgenstein died of prostate cancer.
  • My mind and fingers have worked like the damned. Homer, the Bible, Plato, Locke, Lamartine, Chateaubriand, Beethoven, Bach, Hummel, Mozart, Weber are all around me. I study them, I devour them with fury. Wrote Liszt at twenty.
  • Obviously Writer exists.
  • Not being a character but the author, here.
  • Writer is writing, for heaven’s sake.
  • Landscape of the Urinating Multitudes, Lorca called one of his New York poems.
  • Unmarried women should not bathe, said St. Jerome. Ever. And should embrace the most deliberate squalor. The less to breed temptation in the world.
  • Sappho was small and dark. Though is made blond and fleshy by Raphael in his Parnassus at the Vatican.
  • Horace was short and fat. Admitting this himself in the Satires.
  • On the Knocking at the Gate in Macbeth.
  • Paul Celan’s body was not found for eleven days after he stepped off the Pont Mirabeau. Nelly Sachs died on the day of his funeral.
  • Only when Euripides was being performed would Socrates go to the theater.
  • Rossini, on the Symphony Fantastique: What a good thing it isn’t music.
The first thing that popped into my head, sadly...

Ludwig Wittgenstein was played by Frank Zappa.

Frank Zappa - Zappa '88: The Last U.S Show

20210723_114420.jpg

• As a sort of mantra, Kant would sometimes recite a list of people who had lived long lives, hoping to match them. He reached eighty.
  • My mind and fingers have worked like the damned. Homer, the Bible, Plato, Locke, Lamartine, Chateaubriand, Beethoven, Bach, Hummel, Mozart, Weber are all around me. I study them, I devour them with fury. Wrote Liszt at twenty.
  • Landscape of the Urinating Multitudes, Lorca called one of his New York poems.
  • Unmarried women should not bathe, said St. Jerome. Ever. And should embrace the most deliberate squalor. The less to breed temptation in the world.
  • Sappho was small and dark. Though is made blond and fleshy by Raphael in his Parnassus at the Vatican.
  • Paul Celan’s body was not found for eleven days after he stepped off the Pont Mirabeau. Nelly Sachs died on the day of his funeral.
The first thing that popped into my head, sadly...

Ludwig Wittgenstein was played by Frank Zappa.

Frank Zappa - Zappa '88: The Last U.S Show

View attachment 137519
This was a great show. Sad I never got to see him live. He's one of my time travel shows if we ever get cool technology.

30: David Markson, This is Not a Novel
Didn't plan to end on a downer, but this has been in my stack and fits in a sad way. Johnny Ramone joined Ludwig Wittgenstein and Frank Zappa. Get your prostate checked friends so we can keep on grooving. The music never dies! Thanks for joining me this month on this wacky literary challenge.

Ramones - Rocket To Russia
Screenshot_20220501-085746.jpg

This list reminded me of a much more literary version of Jim Carroll's People Who Died, which is the second track on this soundtrack.

The Suicide Squad Soundtrack

1651424085043.png

Fantastic month @Hemotep ! Really enjoyed thinking through the prompts and reading the stories when I could.

Back