Any major thread will tell you.... a Steely Dan thread

Anyone planning on getting the new reissues? I have beater copies of the OG vinyl and I have CDs so I'm not like, chomping at the bit to get the UHQR or any other audiophile copies, I just figure I'll pick up better copies whenever I come across them.

Anyone planning on getting the new reissues? I have beater copies of the OG vinyl and I have CDs so I'm not like, chomping at the bit to get the UHQR or any other audiophile copies, I just figure I'll pick up better copies whenever I come across them.
$150 a pop is a bit too rich for my blood, so I don't think I'll be jumping at these. Aja is probably my favorite of the lot, followed by Can't Buy a Thrill, and I've got great-sounding copies of both. BUT, I'd sure like to hear one or two of these to see if the hype is warranted. I assume everyone who plunks down the $$ will have positive things to say about them, so I anticipate a lot of FOMO.

I have CBAT on order (the 33rpm, not the $150). I have beater copies of Countdown To Ecstasy and Katy Lied, the Japanese Aja, the 45rpm Two Against Nature, and the RSD Everything Must Go. The only one I *may* splurge on is Countdown To Ecstasy, not sure though. In case anyone cares, my ranking of their albums is:

1. Aja
2. Countdown To Ecstasy
3. Pretzel Logic
4. The Royal Scam
5. Katy Lied
6. Gaucho
7. Two Against Nature
8. Can't Buy A Thrill
9. Everything Must Go

since there is a thread, I love me some 'Dan, but for the life of me after Pretzel Logic they loose their edge. I can't really get into anything post PL. Aja has gotta be one of my least favorite "best albums ever" nominees.
Aja is kind of meh for me, gaucho's better. I enjoy aja but I don't see why it gets so much acclaim

since there is a thread, I love me some 'Dan, but for the life of me after Pretzel Logic they loose their edge. I can't really get into anything post PL. Aja has gotta be one of my least favorite "best albums ever" nominees.

Aja is kind of meh for me, gaucho's better. I enjoy aja but I don't see why it gets so much acclaim
Have to admit that for a band like this (and many others), my 'favorites' are determined mostly by which of their albums I just happened to listen to most, and the timing of their releases has a lot to do with that. I was in high school when Can't Buy a Thrill was released, and Reelin' in the Years, with its "You've been telling me you're a genius since you were seventeen" and "The weekends at the college didn't turn out like you planned" lines was just so provocative to me and my adolescent imagination that the whole album took on magical proportions. Aja was released when I was in college and had my first exposure to a (relatively) high-end stereo system. Steely Dan, Boston, Kansas, Hendrix, Queen, etc. were all just part of the ear-splitting, drug-hazed rotation, so for no better reasons than that, they're 'favorites.' Might have a different view if I ever sat down and listened critically to all their albums, but what fun would that be when I can just blast the songs that take me back? (see avatar)

I didn't hop into a steely dan thread to see takes like this (appreciate the boldness tho!)

Interchangeable top 2 depending on the day

1. Aja
2. Gaucho
3. Katy Lied
4. Can't Buy a Thrill
5. Royal Scam
6. Countdown to Ecstasy
7. Pretzel Logic
8. 2 against nature
9. Everything Must Go

1. Aja / Countdown to Ecstasy (tie)
3. Pretzel Logic
4. Katy Lied
5. Royal Scam
6. Gaucho
7. Can’t Buy a Thrill

I have Two Against Nature on CD but haven’t listened to it enough to rank it.

We rating Steely Dan?!

Aja
Can’t Buy A Thrill
Pretzel Logic
Gaucho
Countdown To Ecstasy
Royal Scam
Katie Lied
Two Against Nature
Everything Must Go

I feel like The Dan started off as one thing and evolved into something else completely though equally as good. Can’t Buy A Thrill is more of your typical 70s AOR Rock done exceptionally well with Countdown To Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic as more of the same then the next two albums are transitional as they evolved into more jazz based sound that they perfected with Aja and Gaucho is more of the same.

We rating Steely Dan?!

Aja
Can’t Buy A Thrill
Pretzel Logic
Gaucho
Countdown To Ecstasy
Royal Scam
Katie Lied
Two Against Nature
Everything Must Go

I feel like The Dan started off as one thing and evolved into something else completely though equally as good. Can’t Buy A Thrill is more of your typical 70s AOR Rock done exceptionally well with Countdown To Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic as more of the same then the next two albums are transitional as they evolved into more jazz based sound that they perfected with Aja and Gaucho is more of the same.
Yeah, all of their 70s albums are great. Even Katy Lied, which used to be one my least favorites, lately has been the one I revisit the most and may very well move up into my top 3 next time around. There are people who think Gaucho is the Dan’s pinnacle, while others prefer the debut. IMO The Royal Scam is their most uneven album but I can’t rank it that low because the highs are so damn good (“Don’t Take Me Alive”!!!).

Back