Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc.

I think the people in this thread will specifically really enjoy this record club. These guys are fantastic at curating great ambient/electronic/neo-classical records for your collection. If y'all are in the hunt for a new record club with exciting personal curation, check out my post/review of In Sheep's Clothings new record club

I think this company used to have one of those fancy listening bars in downtown LA. The records they sold on the site we curated pretty well.

I think this company used to have one of those fancy listening bars in downtown LA. The records they sold on the site we curated pretty well.
That’s the one! In the back of the pizzeria, gorgeous space. They actually just opened their first bar since then here in NYC. Great cocktails, great staff, great sound system, great record curation, quickly has become my new go-to bar in Manhattan

That’s the one! In the back of the pizzeria, gorgeous space. They actually just opened their first bar since then here in NYC. Great cocktails, great staff, great sound system, great record curation, quickly has become my new go-to bar in Manhattan
I think it closed in LA though…I guess the owners move it to NY. It’s ok we stole the Zebulon from you.

I knew about this for a couple days, but thought someone would have posted. This (for me) is among the most crushing music-related news this year. Jamie led the way with a distinct ear, curating an eclectic range of reissues/new music that would be lost to time otherwise. I have no idea what this means for the future of Music From Memory.
Rest in peace. MFM remains my favorite label.

An upcoming compilation from MFM. Something that's been in the works since the beginning of this year. If this is how the label ultimately goes out, it looks to be a wonderful farewell. I love the world music representation. All star lineup of MFM veterans and modern contributors.

2023 marks the tenth year of Music From Memory; a decade of groundbreaking archival releases, cross-generational collaborations and long-standing creative partnerships with our ever-expanding community of artists.

To celebrate this milestone, earlier this year we asked our roster of artists to submit a piece of music for an anniversary compilation. As submissions gradually came in, we were blown away by what we received and slowly began to piece them together into what was to become “10”.

Featuring work from artists who were present during the formation of the label, such as Gigi Masin, Joan Bibiloni and Michal Turtle, as well as artists like The Zenmenn, RAMZi and Dea, who have helped the label expand over subsequent years, “10” serves as a natural bookmark of where we are musically, whilst simultaneously reflecting on the label's rich musical past.

In keeping with the Music From Memory ethos, the music of “10” spans both time and space, with submissions ranging from Vito Ricci's 'Da Hamptons' (1985) to Yu Su & J. Wilson's 'Mitti Atar' (2023). It crosses the globe, with a total of 10 countries represented across 17 tracks. The final result is an immersive musical compilation that flows perfectly from start to finish.

Tragically, during the last few weeks of finalising MFM066, label co-owner Jamie Tiller passed away in a sudden accident. “10” was always intended to be a way to reflect on the journey of Music From Memory. The fact that it is now also one of the last releases that the team all worked on together adds a whole other level of reflection and makes it all the more special.

Last edited:
This is getting a reissue and has my HIGHEST recommendation. Instant buy
uma180.jpg
Jun Konagaya Organ (LP + Tape + Booklet in Wooden box)

SoundOhm: here (Euro)

Urashima US distro is tough sometimes. Discogs such as SquidCo etc may be your best bet

*99 copies limited edition* Taking immense pleasure in unveiling the exquisite vinyl reissue of Jun Konagaya's seminal solo album, titled Organ. Originally presented in 2012 on the CD digital medium, this opus marks Konagaya's inaugural solo venture, distinctly departing from his earlier collaborative endeavors under the monikers Grim and White Hospital. A prodigious figure in the Japanese noise and industrial landscape, Grim left an indelible mark in the 1980s with its dark, luminous allure. After a series of live performances and select sonic releases, Grim mysteriously receded from the scene. However, in 2009, the complete sound sources of Grim resurfaced under Konagaya's meticulous curation, hinting at a potential resurgence. The auditory journey presented in Organ is a far cry from the abrasive feedback and primal roars that characterized Grim's sonic palette. Instead, Konagaya embarks on a melodic exploration of melancholy, akin to the ethereal folk sensibilities glimpsed in Grim's Message.

Organ, weaves a narrative of otherworldly beauty—a malformed tale where Magnolia, a young protagonist, contemplates the enigmatic Gamahead. Eschewing the aggressive tonalities synonymous with Grim, Organ transcends into a contemplative and introspective realm. Opening with マグノリア / Magnolia, the album establishes its ethereal atmosphere, setting the stage for a sonic journey. 呼ぶ聲 / Voice To Call beckons listeners with its distinctive vocal nuances, while 深き森, さまよい歩く人あり / Deep adding a mystical dimension. 時の枝 / Branch Of Time unfolds with contemplative grace, leading on side B to the reflective depths of 鏡 / Spiegel. The expansive 白い牛 / White Cow showcases Konagaya's sonic mastery, while "睡り / Schlafen envelops listeners in a serene lullaby. The poignant ガマヘッド / Last Song Of Gamahead brings the auditory odyssey to a fitting conclusion, leaving an indelible imprint of Konagaya's artistry. Konagaya's profound inner sorrows find expression in the mesmerizing soundscape, complemented by the evocative imagery encapsulated within the extensive 28-page booklet accompanying this release. This meticulously crafted booklet, measuring 11.7 x 8.3 inches, serves as a visual companion to the auditory experience. Its pages unfold to reveal credits, pics, Japanese lyrics, and a collection of 19 drawings/collages that breathe life into the genesis of the album. These intricate visuals, intertwined with Konagaya's musical narrative, offer a comprehensive exploration of the artistic journey encapsulated within Organ.

Immerse yourself in the transcendental depths of Organ, a testament to Jun Konagaya's evolution as an artist and his mastery in crafting emotionally nuanced, sonically captivating narratives. This release beckons connoisseurs of experimental music and beyond, offering a symphony that resonates with both the aficionado and the uninitiated alike.

My new job has me doing a lot of heads down work that takes a few hours each, so I've been turning towards ambient music more than usual to focus. I'm a big fan of more beatless ambient drone, but some ambient techno/IDM is okay too.

Some recent listening includes:
  • Biosphere
  • Loscil
  • Rafael Anton Irrisari
  • Boards of Canada
  • Stars of the Lid
  • Tim Hecker
I'm aware of a lot of the contemporaries and similar artists on Spotify/Last.fm but does anyone have any outside the box recommendations similar to the above that I would not otherwise come across?

My last.fm for reference because I might have heard the artist(s) if they're not mentioned here

My new job has me doing a lot of heads down work that takes a few hours each, so I've been turning towards ambient music more than usual to focus. I'm a big fan of more beatless ambient drone, but some ambient techno/IDM is okay too.

• Biosphere
  • Loscil
  • Rafael Anton Irrisari
  • Boards of Canada
  • Stars of the Lid
  • Tim Hecker
I'm aware of a lot of the contemporaries and similar artists on Spotify/Last.fm but does anyone have any outside the box recommendations similar to the above that I would not otherwise come across?

My last.fm for reference because I might have heard the artist(s) if they're not mentioned here
This area has been big for me the last few years, so I'll recommend some albums I've bought for my collection and revisited recently. I would just create a list for you to line these up and then just knock em down one by one, by the time you reach the otherside your algorithm will probably be recommending you some more great stuff!

Let the Moon Be a Planet

Image Langage

Clouds

Music for Living Spaces

Point Of Entry

Air

All Melody

This area has been big for me the last few years, so I'll recommend some albums I've bought for my collection and revisited recently. I would just create a list for you to line these up and then just knock em down one by one, by the time you reach the otherside your algorithm will probably be recommending you some more great stuff!

Let the Moon Be a Planet

Image Langage

Clouds

Music for Living Spaces

Point Of Entry

Air

All Melody

That A Winged Victory For the Sullen album is literally my favorite album of all time!! Also Nils Frahm I love Nils!

The others I am less familiar with. I think I've listened to Pan American years ago but haven't heard that album before.

• Biosphere
  • Loscil
  • Rafael Anton Irrisari
  • Boards of Canada
  • Stars of the Lid
  • Tim Hecker

Coil's "TIME MACHINES" album. There's ....nothing like it.

The Nurse With Wound / Stereolab collaboration, "Simple Headphone Mind". Back when I used to code, I would put this on and zone out.

Last edited:
Back