All Things Radio (Old & New)

JohnnyCashFan

So I was pretty happy tonight, I'm able to pickup my favorite Fm station from 50+ miles away on a vintage analog receiver (refreshed Mac 1700 circa 1967), just using a diy speaker wire antenna strategically placed near window. Just a tiny bit of background noise/hiss when quiet. It's a cloudy/rainy night too.

Of course I could stream off there website too, but this is more fulfilling. A/B the sound it's about the same.

I have local NPR I enjoy as well at home and in the car. What are some of your favorite stations ?

Mine

Saying all that do you still enjoy local, internet, Hi res, satellite, streaming radio ? Please post pictures if your using a old school tuner or something new and cool.

unadjustednonraw_thumb_2a7-jpg.96840

Last edited:
WPKN 89.5 out of Bridgeport, CT is one of the best ever. Haven't lived there for years so I don't know what their current programming looks like. But you could get "train music" on a Saturday, Cuban jazz on a Sunday morning, underground Hip Hop at 3am, and quiet storm on a Friday night. One of the most diverse stations and they really let their DJs control their shows. I remember the quiet storm woman had this ASMR voice before ASMR was a thing (I feel like Mickey was her name). She'd have rain sounds behind her voice and always devote a portion of her show to dedications from listeners to loved ones in prison/jail. Besides the fact that she played killer music. I love that radio station.

@MadLucas may be able to attest to its awesomeness.

Edit: snap her name was "Mikki" and it looks like she died but they have her show archived.

Also link to the station...

Saved this unit from imminent death at my parents house. Still works great and pulls all local AM/FM channels, but it does have a persistent hum.

It would benefit from a cleaning but that’s not a particular skill I possess. Perhaps @Mather has some recommendations.

CD61CC89-4815-44A6-AD64-9F0B8E707464.jpeg

Saved this unit from imminent death at my parents house. Still works great and pulls all local AM/FM channels, but it does have a persistent hum.

It would benefit from a cleaning but that’s not a particular skill I possess. Perhaps @Mather has some recommendations.

View attachment 120932
In terms of the facing, light dish soap and warm water and a lightly damp q tip/ microfibre cloth. If the grilles don't remove then that's a bit tougher for those parts...

View attachment 120932
Is there a antenna hookup on the back? hum could mean a transistor likely going bad. Not sure if it will be worth money to fix. Lovely though.

Last edited:
Is there a antenna hookup on the back? hum could mean a transistor like going bad. Not sure if it will be worth money to fix. Lovely though.
There is an antenna currently hooked up in the back. My money is on a bad transistor. I'd agree that the fixes would be more money than what it's worth. My main goal was to use it as a display piece anyway since my main system has AM/FM capabilities.

Back