All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

After one listen-through of Ice, Death…. I can say it’s firmly slotted in the “fine” category. Good, but not blowing my doors off. Enjoy the atmosphere of it all and the instrumental sections. Almost wish this was a solely instrumental album.

Definitely need time to let this one grow, though. I think them putting it in the same sentence as Dripping Tap does the album a disservice because (other than the way it was recorded and produced) it doesn’t really share any DNA with Dripping Tap. Length, maybe, but not sonically.

I only stepped into the Gizzverse shortly before Butterfly 3000 so my sample size is rather small, but this is proving to be my favourite first listen for a new release and probably a top five favourite first listen yet (bearing in mind I still have half the catalogue to dig into) - really digging the vibes!
It’s a culmination of everything they’ve ever done, just like Omnium Gatherum was, to an extent. Their musical vocabulary was not developed into its current state, as shown by the grooves on this record. The storytelling is amazing on this too. One of my favorites , coming from your resident King Gizzard scholar.

Last edited:
random thoughts. listened last night, pretty stoned and very tired really enjoyed everything up front but found the longer the album went on the less I was enjoying it.. that said, I enjoyed what I heard.

just finished listening to it again this morning, mildly stoned and still a little tired but coffee in hand, and I enjoy the second listen much more, very little to pick apart... the only thing is maybe Hell's Itch goes on a little too long, though I really love the bass on that song. anyway, I really think the more I listen to it the more I'm going to keep liking it more. but the one thing I kept thinking is, "they really haven't done something like this song and/or part before" which is always cool, even if it still is unmistakably Gizz.

it's kind of starting to feel obsolete ranking where these albums sit anymore since there's so much...I don't love their older stuff as much, but I'll be super thrilled if they continue putting out really solid albums going forward.

I’m always excited for a new Gizz album, but I woke up early just to listen to IDPLML before my first meeting today.
Even with planning more morning around getting this album in, I got called into a surprise early meeting and only got about halfway through.
But I’m on a plan to CO tomorrow which should give me plenty of time to dive in fully.

Back