Album of The Year - Endgame

At first glance this year seems kinda weak but it's actually pretty decent. This was the first year that I really started to branch out and discover new music on my own via the internet. My list during 2009 would probably be very different than this one. Most of the honorable mentions would probably be on that list in 2009.

1. Jonsi & Alex - Riceboy Sleeps
  2. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
  3. Japandroids - Post-Nothing
  4. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
  5. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come
  6. Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country
  7. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
  8. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
  9. The Antlers - Hospice
  10. Washed Out - Life of Leisure
HMs: Andrew Bird, The Decemberists, St. Vincent, Sharon Van Etten, Grizzly Bear, Yo La Tengo, Silversun Pickups, Olafur Arnalds, Converge, Mono

This was a tough year for me! Let's get some pop up in here!

1. The xx - xx
2. Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
3. Animal Collective - MPP
4. The Antlers - Hospice
5. Avett Bros - I and Love and You
6. The Thermals - Now We Can See
7. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
8. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
9. Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
10. Rihanna - Rated R

1) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion: Probably my favorite artist in the 2000 - present day period. If you include the solo albums, then that would clinch it. I find it difficult to pick a favorite AC album (Person Pitch is my favorite if you include the whole AC family) but MPP probably has my favorite personal memories associated with it.
2) Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind: What Would I Want? Sky
3) St Vincent - Actor: The first St. Vincent record I ever purchased. Even thought it's not my favorite of hers, it's probably the one I'm most familiar with as a whole album. Single songs don't jump out for me on this album, it's just a great cohesive experience.
4) Girls - Album: sucker for this sound
5) Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: I hadn't listened to this album for a long time until the VMP release. I had forgotten how solid it is. It's been prevalent in the cooking music rotation for my wife and me.
6) Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
7) Baroness - Blue: I grew up right outside of Savannah so a lot of Baroness strikes a chord with me even though it's not really the kind of music I would associate with the area. Stuff like Ogeechee Hymnal which is the river right by where I lived.
8) Real Estate - Real Estate
9) Dan Deacon - Bromst: think I'm gonna spin Spiderman of the Rings tonight
10) The xx - xx

I feel ashamed I didnt even think of Fall Be Kind. What's even worse is On A Highway has been in heavy rotation ever since I saw them play it live for the first time about a month ago. Even though it's just an EP it's still masterful and What Would I Want Sky is probably a top 10 ANCO song.

1) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion: Probably my favorite artist in the 2000 - present day period. If you include the solo albums, then that would clinch it. I find it difficult to pick a favorite AC album (Person Pitch is my favorite if you include the whole AC family) but MPP probably has my favorite personal memories associated with it.
2) Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind: What Would I Want? Sky
3) St Vincent - Actor: The first St. Vincent record I ever purchased. Even thought it's not my favorite of hers, it's probably the one I'm most familiar with as a whole album. Single songs don't jump out for me on this album, it's just a great cohesive experience.
4) Girls - Album: sucker for this sound
5) Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: I hadn't listened to this album for a long time until the VMP release. I had forgotten how solid it is. It's been prevalent in the cooking music rotation for my wife and me.
6) Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
7) Baroness - Blue: I grew up right outside of Savannah so a lot of Baroness strikes a chord with me even though it's not really the kind of music I would associate with the area. Stuff like Ogeechee Hymnal which is the river right by where I lived.
8) Real Estate - Real Estate
9) Dan Deacon - Bromst: think I'm gonna spin Spiderman of the Rings tonight
10) The xx - xx
I feel ashamed I didnt even think of Fall Be Kind. What's even worse is On A Highway has been in heavy rotation ever since I saw them play it live for the first time about a month ago. Even though it's just an EP it's still masterful and What Would I Want Sky is probably a top 10 ANCO song.
I was obsessed with “What Would I Want? Sky” when that EP came out. I think it helped me get into them more because it’s probably their most pop/mainstream song.

I was obsessed with “What Would I Want? Sky” when that EP came out. I think it helped me get into them more because it’s probably their most pop/mainstream song.

I just find it funny that a song that starts with three minutes of droning could be considered their most pop/mainstream song

Is it not "My Girls?"

solid but unspectacular year

OrderArtistTitle
1​
MastodonCrack the Skye
2​
Super Furry AnimalsDark Days / Light Years
3​
Neko CaseMiddle Cyclone
4​
Arctic MonkeysHumbug
5​
GirlsAlbum
6​
Animal CollectiveMerriweather Post Pavillion
7​
The HorrorsPrimary Colours
8​
Sarah BlaskoAs Day Follows Night
9​
PhoenixWolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
10​
St. VincentActor
11​
The DecemberistsThe Hazards of Love
12​
The xxxx
13​
Grizzly BearVeckatimest
14​
Alela DianeTo Be Still
15​
Bill CallahanSometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
16​
Sonic YouthThe Eternal
17​
BridezillaThe Last Dance
18​
The MaladiesWith You By My Side, Baby the Deal Just Can't Go Down
19​
La RouxLa Roux
20​
Dirty ProjectorsBitte Orca

This was the year I left my first university and moved to Toronto with my best friend, recorded and released the first music I'd ever put my name on, fell in love for the first time, and met my future best friend. And there were a lot of all-time faves released, too! So it was a pretty huge year for me personally, and a lot sticks out in my memory. Especially the records I was listening to while all these things happened.

1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye. I remember picking this up from the downtown HMV in Ottawa, sticking it in my CD player, and not moving from my chair for the next hour except to groove around with "The Last Baron" at its end. I was just absolutely gobsmacked at how incredible it was. Spent the next three years trying to come up with a single riff as good as any on here. My favourite metal albums of all time, bar none. Saw them that fall play the entire thing straight through.

2. Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle. I didn't start listening to Bill until a couple years later, when Apocalypse was released, but I bought this at the same time and think it's the better album. I absolutely listened to "Jim Cain" on repeat for a while and was just amazed at what he could do with such simple words and a simple voice.

3. mewithoutYou - It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright! So many incredible songs from this record. A lot of them are about food! And animals! They're parables that speak about God better than any hymn I'd ever grown up singing. "Timothy Hay", "The Fox, the Crow, and the Cookie", and "goodbye, I!" are standouts, but I probably wept to every track on here at one point. "Why not be utterly changed into fire", indeed?

4. Baroness - Blue Record. Riffs for days. "The Gnashing" is one of my favourite recordings of all time. Love the sequencing and peaks and valleys on this record so I never get tired of it.

5. Iron & Wine - Around the Well. This was a 2-CD compilation of B-sides, covers, etc., all recorded before 2009 and not technically an album, but it was definitely the only thing in my Pontiac Sunfire CD player for most of that summer. Has a ton of great tracks that would have been among the best songs on his albums, like "Carried Home" and "Kingdom of the Animals."

6. Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect. Listened to this a ton in the fall, and still, with the other two metal albums on this list, one of my favourite metal albums ever. "Fossil Genera" and "Swim to the Moon" are trips.

7. Strand of Oaks - Leave Ruin. One of the only albums here I didn't know of at the time but has become a treasured one. First heard this guy on a Joe Pug live album, where we performed the title track. I listened to this a lot when I lived in South Korea a few years later. Haven't loved his subsequent stuff but this is a fantastic singer-songwriter album. "Sister Evangeline" and "Do You Like to Read?" are standouts.

8. The Wilderness of Manitoba - Hymns of Love & Spirits. One of the several Toronto folk groups that formed in the Fleet Foxes' wake, but this one was actually great (for a time). I must have played this first EP of theirs a hundred times between 2009 and 2010. I guess they were also kind of the catalyst for getting me to go to more shows once I moved to Toronto.

9. Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk. I think I got a free download of one of these tracks from Starbucks, when they still had those iTunes redemption code cards. I liked Bright Eyes a lot so I checked this out and loved it. Didn't know My Morning Jacket was about to become one of my favourite bands through this, too. I would love if they ever made another.

10. The Protomen - Act II: The Father of Death. This jokey Megaman-based band is hilarious but the songs are incredibly well written and tight. Act I was great but they took it to an entirely different level here.

Honourable mentions:
- Thrice - Beggars
- The Mars Volta - Octahedron
- Wilco - Wilco (The Album)

Last edited:
Back