Album of The Year - Endgame

There are 4 contemporary acts in the top 19 (and no Dylan doesn't count even though he put out an album this year). There is a major shocker in the top 5 for me, and one of the contemporary acts I dont think belongs in the top 19, but besides that I think the rest of the top is fairly on point.

It should go up tomorrow around 8am EST give or take depending how my morning goes.

There are 4 contemporary acts in the top 19. There is a major shocker in the top 5 for me, and one of the contemporary acts I dont think belongs in the top 19, but besides that I think the rest of the top is fairly on point.

I thinI, if it’s the National that they’ve probably got there on sheer number of releases. I’d hope that no one, even if they like them a lot, could argue they’re deserving of such a high placing. I’d imagine Radiohead will be very high too.

The N+G Top 100 Artists of the Past 60 Years
(19-1)

19. Pink Floyd (83)
18. The Rolling Stones (87)
17. The National (88)
16. Bjork (92)
15. Kanye West (94)
14. Prince (102)
13. Led Zeppelin (103)
12. Bruce Springsteen (105)
11. Tom Waits (118)
10. The Cure (123)
9. Neil Young (126)
8. John Coltrane (127)
7. Miles Davis (132)
6. Talking Heads (134)
5. Radiohead (146)
4. R.E.M. (150)
3. Bob Dylan (170)
2. David Bowie (185)
1. The Beatles (201)

I'm looking at that list and I'm like damn, that's one woman.

Also R.E.M. is definitely a surprise! Would not have thought them above Radiohead, or even Bowie above Dylan.
REM is the surprise of the list imo.

And yes sadly this list is a boys club, only 11 female fronted acts on the entire list (not counting bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies, Arcade Fire etc.. that have a prominent woman in the group)

REM is the surprise of the list imo.

And yes sadly this list is a boys club, only 11 female fronted acts on the entire list (not counting bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies, Arcade Fire etc.. that have a prominent woman in the group)

I suppose it’s the amount of albums they released. They’re a band you forget and then when they come out high in a list like this you remember just how popular they were and, more importantly for this list, how many albums they released.

The top 3 are a fair way clear still though and PF only scrapping into the top 19 makes me happy. That said on the negative the top 20 is a very white and very male list.

Also, but in no particular order, my top 5 would probably be very similar to this top 5 but with Joni swapped with R.E.M. on 6-10 it’d be quite different but that’s just taste at the end of the day, no disrespect to them I like bits, and with some lots, by all of them and understand why they’re revered.

The N+G Top 100 Artists of the Past 60 Years
(19-1)

19. Pink Floyd (83)
18. The Rolling Stones (87)
17. The National (88)
16. Bjork (92)
15. Kanye West (94)
14. Prince (102)
13. Led Zeppelin (103)
12. Bruce Springsteen (105)
11. Tom Waits (118)
10. The Cure (123)
9. Neil Young (126)
8. John Coltrane (127)
7. Miles Davis (132)
6. Talking Heads (134)
5. Radiohead (146)
4. R.E.M. (150)
3. Bob Dylan (170)
2. David Bowie (185)
1. The Beatles (201)
Number 10!!! Yes!

I'm looking at that list and I'm like damn, that's one woman.

Also R.E.M. is definitely a surprise! Would not have thought them above Radiohead, or even Bowie above Dylan.

I think what might have been forgotten with David Bowie is that few artists, I’d actually argue no artist, have had a run of consistently top quality albums that rivals his from Hunky Dory to Lets Dance. That’s a decade with a lot of albums near the top of these lists and pretty much without a misstep. Add Blackstar also being towards the top of the 2016 and you’ve got a lot of albums in the top 2 or 3.

Back