90's / Nineties

Posting this because it just came up in my Spotify shuffle ... 😂

My friends were trying to think of every song with “na-na-na”s in the lyrics recently, and I remembered this one but had no idea who the artist was. I looked up the lyrics and found it on spotify and then decided I needed to make myself a 90s party music playlist. That Space Jam song I posted earlier is also on it.

I'm sure this will get some hate but man this is pop goodness at it's best. plus the whole story behind the album is fantastic and there's like 1/2 of the Canadian rap scene in the video.

So is this one haha

I'm sure this will get some hate but man this is pop goodness at it's best. plus the whole story behind the album is fantastic and there's like 1/2 of the Canadian rap scene in the video.

I will say that I pretty much despised this when it came out but I do enjoy it now. It also helps that it's one of my wife's favorite 90's songs.

I will say that I pretty much despised this when it came out but I do enjoy it now. It also helps that it's one of my wife's favorite 90's songs.

Built off a dope disco / soul sample... showing their rap roots. 3 members of this incarnation of Len were big in the rap scene. Planet Pea - the head of Cryptik Souls Crew.. a Canada-wide hip-hop collective and the guy behind the indie mic sessions in Toronto, Planet Mars; Mackenzie and DJ Moves were part of Hip Club Groove (early east coast Canadian rap group signed to Sloan's record label .. that also helped put Buck 65 on.. the other member of Hip Club Groove is one of the main dudes in Trailer Park Boys).

Marc .. the lead singer of the band also ran 4 Ways To Rock Records which put out stuff by Buck 65, Moka Only (the super tall guy featured throughout the video), and Mr. Dibbs amongst others..

The story goes they got a kinda carte blanche deal through Work/Sony where they got 50k to make a record and they made this, including flying all their friends down to shoot this video, having the guy from Poison on the album and featuring a lot of members of the Cryptik Souls Crew on the album..

So yeah, despite its clear poppiness.. it did a lot for the indie hip-hop scene in Canada.. and again, it's also an amazing pop song,

Last edited:
Thanks to Captain Marvel, my 9-year-old daughter is really into Garbage and No Doubt all of a sudden, and it's giving me an excuse to dust off some of the stuff I listened to in my high school days.

Although, it is kind of weird to hear her sing "I'm riding high on a deep depression..."

By the way, I have been updating the Spotify playlist in the first post on a regular basis so most of the 90's songs mentioned here should be included (the same goes with the 80's thread).

Thanks to Captain Marvel, my 9-year-old daughter is really into Garbage and No Doubt all of a sudden, and it's giving me an excuse to dust off some of the stuff I listened to in my high school days.

Although, it is kind of weird to hear her sing "I'm riding high on a deep depression..."

Ha! Yeah, might want to wait a few years before introducing her to PJ Harvey. Some of those early songs could lead into some uncomfortable questions. Also, Shirley Manson is still one of the coolest people on the planet.

For the two people who cares about the Trailer Park Boys / Len connection.. here it is, and yup.. that's J-Roc in their '94 video

No idea why this song popped in my head at some point last week, but, I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. Sooooooo 90's.

Sean Lennon's voice is maybe an acquired taste, but I've actually enjoyed quite a bit of his solo work. 'Queue' off of his debut, "Into The Sun", is a great Summer pop song. Lots of Beatles and Beach Boys in the mix here, but also some Cibo Matto too.

Last edited:
Back