5-10-15-20 (Your Music Through The Years)

Yeah, that is one of the limitations of this format. The five year intervals. For instance, it is insane that a Bob Dylan record doesn't appear in my list considering how important his music has been in my life since my high school years.

I just realised it was released in 2015, so it's actually not misplaced in my list! I don't think I actually got it until the year after though.

5) The Beatles- Help! - My parents (Mom) specifically were Beatles fans and this was the record I remember the most. “Dizzy Miss Lizzy” and “Help!” and “Yesterday” were all staple tunes during my childhood. Probably the record that made me love music, whether I realized it or not at the time.

10) Third Eye Blind- S/T - What a revolution this record was for me. The “Semi Charmed Life” single on cassette was the first physical media I ever purchased with my “own money”. And guess what, the entire record holds up and proved to be incredibly influential to a slew of bands I loved in high school and college. Never felt more seen.

15) Thursday- Full Collapse - This was my freshman/sophomore year and I was going through so much growth (see: every teen ever). I could have put a few others here, namely Fevers & Mirrors or Tell All Your Friends, but Geoff Rickley is an icon of that scene and era and the one that still comes to mind when I want to understand and convey the emotions of my teenage years. I still see him, sweaty hair half covering his face, one foot on the monitor, one hand shot to the sky, like a beacon of hope for lost souls.

20) The Hold Steady- Boys and Girls in America - A LOT happened between these 5 years but this one feels right here. College. I even had some friends in college in Minnesota we would visit on occasion and this record was always the soundtrack. Some records just hit you at the most perfect time. Fate.

25) Kanye West- Yeezus - Wouldn’t be my list without Kanye. The height of his powers as an auteur. I honestly don’t know if we’ll ever get a release as thrilling as this from the biggest star in the entire world. Such a left turn. It was a mindfuck then, and still is now. I remember seeing New Slaves projected on the sides of buildings and just knowing you were experiencing something truly special. I had just moved by myself to Texas, alone, and this record was perfect soundtrack for isolated excitement.

30) Amen Dunes- Freedom - This one was my favorite record of 2018. So I went with that, got a ton of play from me and I just think the world of it. Such beautiful music.

I tried to go with records that were released at that time (aside from the Beatles). Be curious to do a list of maybe some stuff I was listening to that was maybe older.

5) Paul McCartney - Wings Greatest Hits - My mom had a CD copy of this album and would play it frequently in her car when we would go places. I think my favorite out of the bunch ended up being Band on the Run.

10) Metallica-Master of Puppets - I had played Guitar Hero 3 to the point where I started to get interested in certain bands in the setlist, Metallica being one of them. My dad had a CD copy of Master of Puppets and the rest is history.

15) The Beatles - Revolver - Never has an album impacted me as much as The Beatles - Revolver. This album made me want to create and write my own music. It showed that the world of music is not tied to a formula and can be whatever the hell an artist sees fit. Music is truly limitless, and this record showed me that.

(I turn 20 in November so 🙃)

Hmm. I might be stretching a little bit but still, here is a good approximation

5- Of all the choices im gonna pull a curve ball and say a the very best of doctor demento compilation album. There wasn't a lot of music in my household for multiple reasons, one reason is I could barely speak and I was oblivious to the world (basically my autism), and two, my mom was kinda an overly protective parent so I couldn't really listen to a lot of big music. The only real music we heard was either Christian rock, the pop station that usually played usher and later my 10 year old choice, and a compilation cd of doctor demento. I don't even remember much of it, only that it contained the first weird al song I heard (Yoda), fish heads which I heard all the time as a kid (autism makes you hyper fixated on things), and the shaving cream song that I only realized 14 years later was a song about trying to say the word shit.

10- Green Day (American Idiot). I got into green Day hard for multiple reasons. Like for example I said back in the 5 year old time a year later boulevard of broken dreams and holiday were played endlessly and even then I loved those songs. But also because I was big into the rock band and guitar hero games at the time and guess what band they were going to a rock band for the year I turned 11. So I definitely got into Green Day, calling them my favourite band and worshipping songs is this album specifically.

15- Radiohead (In Rainbows), this about when I really started getting into vinyl. I knew about Radiohead but never really listened to them beyond maybe a bit of paranoid Android, but I really wanted to try them out. And knowing from looking at parental guides (I dunno why I did it then I think I was just fascinated) that in rainbows was good for people my age and older, I dug deeper into it. I could also put sgt peppers on here as that's the first record I was ever given, but in rainbows holds a more special place for me as it got me into my favourite band.

20- choosing an album to represent this year is really hard since I literally have just been 20 for 2 months. But after some debating I choose 2. Perfect pussy's "I have lost all desire for feeling" EP fits my aggressive side. Radically feminist, loud, emotionally vulnerable. It's almost the perfect example of an angry anxiety attack.

But for my more emotional soft side. I went with grouper's "ruins". Almost the closest thing to ambient folk we are ever going to get. It represents a calmer more introspective moment, wondering about life and just thinking about my future.

I'll play!

CURRENT AGE: 38.

5 - Joan Jett, I Love Rock & Roll
My parents were musicians in a former life. They used to write songs with two of their friends and try and get some scratch from them. One of the songs they wrote was a song called "I Ain't Gonna Take It." Somehow it made its way to Joan Jett, and there were meetings about her using the song. In the end, my parents walked away from the deal because they had to sign over all publishing... and refused.
Still, Joan was a fixture around my parents turntable... and Kiss, and the Beatles, and Donovan, and Cream, and Nazz... so much damn music.

10 - Nirvana, Nevermind
I initially hated Nirvana. My dad, on the other hand, LOVED them and picked this album up for me.
Clearly transformative the older I got... but my heart today still lies with Incesticide.

15 - Ani Difranco, Dilate TIE: Jeff Buckley, Grace
There was sooooooooo much music that entered my world in the five years, but these two albums stand out. I wanted to sing like Jeff Buckley. And I wanted to beat my guitar within an inch of its life like Ani.
I was listening to Jeff Buckley when I found out he died, two months after I turned 16. Ani's music really helped me through that.

20 - Thursday, Full Collapse
This is one of those albums where you had to be there when it was happening. It was breathtaking to hear someone shouting at me in one breath and crying the next breath and in between trying to keep it together. I saw them at least 15 times between September '01 and spring '03. It never got old. And, to this day, when I hear it, it feels new.

25 - Robert Pollard, Not In My Airforce
I loved Guided By Voices for years, but I came to this album INCREDIBLY late. It was soooooooo out of print when I found it, I felt honored to hold a second hand copy in my hands.
And there was a good 6 months where I held other albums up to it as a standard of quality versus not caring versus the balance. I still pull it out a few times a year for inspiration and to relive times that at the time seemed desperate and temporary and now seem distant but incredibly beautiful.

30 - The Stepkids, The Stepkids
I knew these guys for a while. In high school, I was in all-state jazz band with the bass player. I went to college with the drummer (who mastered my forthcoming album). And the guitar player... nice guy I had run into a few times, heard rumors about that all turned out to be true (he toured with Alicia Keys, Cristina Aguilera, etc.).
Then these three came together and made a fantastic album.
With an even better live show.
I saw them at least 30 times, not because I knew them (which helped), but every show was different and that difference depended on how the songs expanded.
They splintered after their second album.
The guitar player currently works with a ton of people, even won a Grammy for work with J Cole.
The bass player recently celebrated a high-profile release with Anderson. Paak.
The drummer is currently an in-demand live performer around these parts, a studio wizard, and someone I am proud to call a friend... who now has a great electronic project with his partner under the name The Telle.

35 - Solange, A Seat At The Table
...I'm sorry, say that again? Solange has a sister?
After listening to this album, I don't give a shit who her sister is.
THIS. ALL. DAY.

Last edited:
I'll play!

CURRENT AGE: 38.

5 - Joan Jett, I Love Rock & Roll
My parents were musicians in a former life. They used to write songs with two of their friends and try and get some scratch from them. One of the songs they wrote was a song called "I Ain't Gonna Take It." Somehow it made its way to Joan Jett, and there were meetings about her using the song. In the end, my parents walked away from the deal because they had to sign over all publishing.
Still, Joan was a fixture around my parents turntable... and Kiss, and the Beatles, and Donovan, and Cream, and Nazz... so much damn music.

10 - Nirvana, Nevermind
I initially hated Nirvana. My dad, on the other hand, LOVED them and picked this album up for me.
Clearly transformative the older I got... but my heart today still lies with Incesticide.

15 - Ani Difranco, Dilate TIE: Jeff Buckley, Grace
There was sooooooooo much music that entered my world in the five years, but these two albums stand out. I wanted to sing like Jeff Buckley. And I wanted to beat my guitar within an inch of its life like Ani.
I was listening to Jeff Buckley when I found out he died, two months after I turned 16. Ani's music really helped me through that.

20 - Thursday, Full Collapse
This is one of those albums where you had to be there when it was happening. It was breathtaking to hear someone shouting at me in one breath and crying the next breath and in between trying to keep it together. I saw them at least 15 times between September '01 and spring '03. It never got old. And, to this day, when I hear it, it feels new.

25 - Robert Pollard, Not In My Airforce
I loved Guided By Voices for years, but I came to this album INCREDIBLY late. It was soooooooo out of print when I found it, I felt honored to hold a second hand copy in my hands.
And there was a good 6 months where I held other albums up to it as a standard of quality versus not caring versus the balance. I still pull it out a few times a year for inspiration and to relive times that at the time seemed desperate and temporary and now seem distant but incredibly beautiful.

30 - The Stepkids, The Stepkids
I knew these guys for a while. In high school, I was in all-state jazz band with the bass player. I went to college with the drummer (who mastered my forthcoming album). And the guitar player... nice guy I had run into a few times, heard rumors about that all turned out to be true (he toured with Alicia Keys, Cristina Aguilera, etc.).
Then these three came together and made a fantastic album.
With an even better live show.
I saw them at least 30 times, not because I knew them (which helped), but every show was different and that difference depended on how the songs expanded.
They splintered after their second album.
The guitar player currently works with a ton of people, even won a Grammy for work with J Cole.
The bass player recently celebrated a high-profile release with Anderson. Paak.
The drummer is currently an in-demand live performer around these parts, a studio wizard, and someone I am proud to call a friend... who now has a great electronic project with his partner under the name The Telle.

35 - Solange, A Seat At The Table
...I'm sorry, say that again? Solange has a sister?
After listening to this album, I don't give a shit who her sister is.
THIS. ALL. DAY.

Love the Joan Jett story. She was the one who converted me from listening to exclusively country music radio to listening to rock music. I was on a bus ride for a school field trip and the bus driver, or one of the other kids, was playing the song 'I Love Rock 'N Roll' over and over again the entire way to wherever we were going. Telling that I remember the music, but not the destination. There was no going back after that.

Love the Joan Jett story. She was the one who converted me from listening to exclusively country music radio to listening to rock music. I was on a bus ride for a school field trip and the bus driver, or one of the other kids, was playing the song 'I Love Rock 'N Roll' over and over again the entire way to wherever we were going. Telling that I remember the music, but not the destination. There was no going back after that.
You know, it's funny.
In middle and high school, my parents would be like "wtf band is this? Dead Milkmen? Sonic Youth? Husker Du? Are you actively choosing to find these obscure bands?"
And yet, if they had been around in my era, they probably would've been signed to one of these "obscure" labels.

I had them over for a dinner party a few weeks ago and played some stuff I liked. They were in love with it!
What did I play?
Sugar, Mojave 3, and The Ocean Blue.
Talk. About. OBSCURE?

You know what's weird about a 5-10-15-20? They're snapshots.
At 15 I'm all about Ani and Jeff Buckley.
At 20 I'm all about Thursday.

...or at least these timelines would want you to believe.

I've always been fascinated at how much is left out of the years inbetween, they're so influential in getting you there!
16 - John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
17 - The Roots, Things Fall Apart
18 - TIE: Red House Painters Ocean Beach and Low's Long Division
19 - Get Up Kids, Something To Write Home About

Food for thought?

You know what's weird about a 5-10-15-20? They're snapshots.
At 15 I'm all about Ani and Jeff Buckley.
At 20 I'm all about Thursday.

...or at least these timelines would want you to believe.

I've always been fascinated at how much is left out of the years inbetween, they're so influential in getting you there!
16 - John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
17 - The Roots, Things Fall Apart
18 - TIE: Red House Painters Ocean Beach and Low's Long Division
19 - Get Up Kids, Something To Write Home About

Food for thought?
I think it's the charm of this exercise. It's not meant to be a total history of your music listening, but snapshots at intervals.

Okay, a slightly edited version of my old post

5. Santana - Moonflower. As @GritNGlitter said above and I agree, these bands were not discovered, they were just a part of my life ever since I was a baby. My dad lived music, and being in their late 20s, my parents' house was party central. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Chicago, Doors, Led Zeppelin, Santana, oldies radio stations, Los Lobos and other Latin rock, bit of disco, Motown, Blondie, David Bowie, The Police, Talking Heads... it was everywhere. I picked this album because even though it was already a few years old, it still got heavy play at my house and I will forever associate some of these songs with those late night parties and my dad.

10. Beastie Boys and Whitney Houston. I was smack-dab in the mid-to-late 80s, still dependent on what my parents were listening to but I was beginning to pay more attention. I had already been to a big stadium concert (thanks, parents!) and I watched as much MTV as I could get away with. So with my first music purchases, I got Licensed to Ill and Whitney (on cassette). As a 10-year-old, my tastes were still all over the place but I was figuring it out. Still have the Beastie Boys tape.

15. The Cure - Wish. By this point, I was firmly on the alternative track having discovered KROQ a couple of years earlier (yeah, I was an L.A. kid). I devoured music. I used whatever spare money I had on music, both current and 80s. Yes, grunge was happening and I put on the flannel and Docs like everyone else, but I was also in love with 80s New Wave, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Siouxsie.

20. Radiohead - OK Computer. I bought this album and I listened nonstop. Being halfway through college, I just couldn't get enough of it. It was the kind of disillusionment that was perfect for a girl still trying to figure out what the hell to do after college. But I had developed a lifelong love of Radiohead and that was enough.

25. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights. Graduate school. Soul sucking graduate school. I wasn't paying much attention to music coming out around this time but upon discovering this album, it became my go-to for late nights at the computer lab. And I can probably mark this album as the beginning of a reinvigorated interest in the music scene over the next few years. Wilco, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Explosions in the Sky, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros. I felt like 15 again with all the bands I was absorbing.

30. The National - Boxer. I pick this album not because it was constantly being played but because it fits in with what I was doing at this age. I was 30, married a few years, freshly transplanted from my wonderful CA to to the east coast, STILL working on my dissertation, and pretty miserable. I was homesick. And I spent way too much time online, reading music blogs and downloading whatever music I could get my hands on. It was one of these blogs that pointed me in the direction of The National and I was hooked. All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky also got heavy play.

35. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy. Annie Clark, omg. This album was a revelation to me. I played it constantly. Still do. I had long finished grad school, was a mom of a toddler. I had mellowed in my musical interests. This means I wasn't paying much attention again, just keeping up with new output of existing favorites. If I heard something that I liked, there wasn't that urge to go out and buy it, being more content to let the radio and our already vast music collection satisfy musical needs. But when I heard St. Vincent, I quickly bought this and her prior stuff. I was reminded that there were bands out there that were worth discovering.

(Written before I turned 40: So now that I'm an old lady, I wonder what I will be listening to when I hit 40. Hopefully I'll still be open to new sounds and artists. Hopefully my current favorite artists are still putting out great records. And hopefully I'll occasionally see a concert. Fingers crossed.)

40. Slowdive - s/t. I turned 40 after being a vmp member for about 1-1.5 years so I was and still am very much in a big music phase. And halfway through 40 we were all gifted with an amazing Slowdive album. A reunion album. From a band I’d loved in my youth. It seemed fitting that for this supposedly milestone year, where the old fogies get all nostalgic in their middle age, that I’d also get lost in newness and magic by old fogies like myself. Like looking backwards and forwards all at once. It was beautiful and it gave me a lot of hope for the next 20 years of my life.

You all had really good taste in music growing up. I had some interesting detours along the way.
This is cool! I really don't know if I remember specific years of what I was listening to but I could do a roughly based one:

5) Teresa Teng - The Moon Represents My Heart
I mostly listened to my parents' music around this age. They were really into 70's 80's Chinese Music. My mom's favorite was Teresa Teng - and she often sang along to this one a lot so I listened to this all the time back then. I probably didn't really get into my own music until a few years later - and even then, I listened to a lot of what my older cousins listened to - which was really early 90's hop hop.

10) Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
When I finally developed my own taste, it was really just mostly what was on the radio & MTV and watched a lot of it. The one video that stuck in my mind back then was this one. It freaked me out but I loved it. This is probably my MTV Generation.

------I bought my first CD between here somewhere. Fun fact - it was Busta Rhymes - The Coming.----

15) Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Album)
My favorite hip hop album of all time is still Fugees - The Score (actually is what introduced me to VMP btw...). I always considered The Carnival by Wyclef a spiritual successor. Lauryn's Miseducation was just everywhere these couple of years and I loved this entire album. I got deeply into hip hop sometime between 10-15 and although I did listen to hip hop in years after these - I felt like mainstream hip hop was declining. I got bored of it - moved into some embarrassing things like Rap Rock, Euro-pop - Vocal Trance and stuff like that my friends were listening to in high school. But that actually eventually lead into better electronic music.

20) Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi (Album)
I got really into IDM and more experimental electronic music like Aphex, Squarepusher, Autechre, etc - Was really into the Warp catalogue during these years. BoC's Music has the Right to Children was really a blind buy for me based on the fact that they were on Warp. This was my first year in college - and I started doing college radio. Applied to become the electronic music director - and had access to a lot of good new and old things. They had 2 full like wall length shelves of electronic music. I really hit gold... Dug thru most of the electronic shelf. When i heard this, I feel in love instantly. I would also say this is when I started even thinking of collecting vinyl - just because a lot of stuff were Vinyl exclusive - especially some Electronic 12"s. I would buy but not be able to play them back then...

25) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (Album)
Being in college radio for the last few years I really got into Indie Rock / Indie Pop / Indie everything... Animal Collective's MPP was really all over the place that year - hit a lot of the top 10 albums lists from pitchfork / stereogum or whatever. And of course I loved this album.

30) ESPRIT 空想 - virtua.zip (Album)
I think in this point of my life - I'd stop getting into new genres but no... Vaporwave came about and consumed like 2 years of my life. I got into these limited hype releases and ended up buying a ton of these albums. There are few that I still really enjoy including this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=291BCxaBK7Y

35) Soul Slabs compilations
This hasn't happened yet but i'm turning 35 this year.... I'm listening to Soul Slabs compilations from Colemine a lot recently... I just impulse bought Vol 1 & 2 a few days ago.. So I see these being played a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunH9aqtWBQ

Last edited:
1978... 5... I’m fairly certain I got my first record player when I was six, so I’m fudging a little bit here. For Christmas I got a portable turntable. It had a denim cover that looked like a jeans jacket and I got a few forty fives. I got the Beatles “Lady Madonna” b/w “The Inner Light” and “Hey Jude” b/w “Revolution”. I also got KISS “Beth” b/w “Detroit Rock City” Damn it’s been ages since I listened to Destroyer, I should get a copy of that on vinyl. Anyhow, clearly, this is where a life long obsession with music, The Beatles, and vinyl started. I’ve still got these forty fives too. I need to rescue them from my parents attic. Even then it was the burgeoning eclecticism that would engulf my listening room later in life. Obviously, my parents dug the Beatles. I’m not sure that they knew that Paul wrote Beth and I’m absolutely certain they had never heard Detroit Rock City and really only have themselves to blame for the Guns N Roses, Metallica and Voivod that would blast from my cheap Roses’ purchased stereo in high school. This is the root. The beginning of the weird.

Here’s that turntable:

Last edited:
I AM 33.5ISH

5. The Eurythmics : Here Comes the Rain Again
This song came out two years before I was born but I have visceral, VISCERAL memories of both my parents playing it in the car and it being on the radio. I've started listening to it again recently and I love it very much AND it also does this weird thing in my brain where it sets off all kinds of very specific old sense stuff.

10. Green Day : Basket Case
This was inescapable and I was all in. Dookie is an extremely catchy pop punk album and REMAINS so to this day, but there's this weird sad defeated depression that runs throughout that really caught on with me, even as a kid (sad boy was sad).

15. The Clash : Lost in the Supermarket
I didn't find this album (London Calling) in a cool punk rock sort of way, I just saw it on a VH1 'best albums of all time' thing. I used to put my headphones on and fall asleep listening to London Calling on CD and I think I would almost always get to at least this song (unless I couldn't sleep at all and just got through the whole album). It's one of my favorite songs ever! Do people think it's cheesy? They're not wrong, but they're also totally wrong.

20. Wolf Parade : I'll Believe in Anything
There isn't a song I've played louder, more often I think. This helped me through some stuff.

25.The Mountain Goats: Elijah
I met someone at 25 who ended up being very important to me! They left and I listened to this, over and over, waiting for them to come back. When they did, eventually, it was different but still good. Things hurt and they don't, love sticks around but isn't always the same.

30. Magnolia Electric Co. : Don't This Look Like The Dark
Not a great time, this is a great song though. Things are looking up these days!

5 (1988): Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" - We had this taped VHS of ventriloquist Ronn Lucas doing a live comedy special that I absolutely LOVED. The ending credits had this song playing on it, so I loved it, too.

10 (1993): Mariah Carey - "Dream Lover" - In my house, we kids were really, really into Mariah. I'm pretty sure this ended up on one of the first cassettes I made recording songs from the radio.

15 (1998): Eve 6 - Eve 6 - I was raised Mormon, with a really strict stepmother. Matchbox 20 was "too psychedelic" for her, to give some context. So, 15-year-old me got really into rock radio when she wasn't around to ground me for it. I was still a year or so away from discovering stuff not on the radio, but I started buying CDs and hiding them the one place she'd never look: the bottom of my dirty clothes hamper. I really only remember the one big hit from this album, but I remember playing it over and over.

20 (2003): Nothing. Why? Again, I was raised Mormon, so at this time I was a missionary in South America, and the rules didn't allow any non-church music for those two years. I missed music so much, because at the end of high school and the beginning of college I had become an avid consumer of indie rock, folk, hip hop, and jazz. During those two years, I would often play Radiohead, Elliott Smith, or Built to Spill songs in my head.

25 (2008): TV on the Radio- Dear Science - Nothing hit that sweet spot in my brain at this time like TVOTR, and even if I didn't like this one as much as Cookie Mountain, it was my favorite album that year.

30 (2013): Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City - I still think Vampire Weekend are a pretty good band, but I never would have put them anywhere near my favorites, with one great exception: this album. It's just a collection of great songs, perfectly sequenced. I enjoy their other stuff, but this where the stars aligned for them.

35 (2018): Foxing - Nearer My God - I'm picking this one because I love it and because it's indicative of a trend I never would have expected- the emo revival, and me liking it. I loved the late 90s/early 2000s emo wave, then I thought I "grew out of it," and when newer groups like Foxing or the Hotelier came along, I rediscovered my love of some older groups in the scene.

Last edited:
5 (1988): Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" - We had this taped VHS of ventriloquist Ronn Lucas doing a live comedy special that I absolutely LOVED. The ending credits had this song playing on it, so I loved it, too.

10 (1993): Mariah Carey - "Dream Lover" - In my house, we kids were really, really into Mariah. I'm pretty sure this ended up on one of the first cassettes I made recording songs from the radio.

15 (1998): Eve 6 - Eve 6 - I was raised Mormon, with a really strict stepmother. Matchbox 20 was "too psychedelic" for her, to give some context. So, 15-year-old me for really into rock radio when she wasn't around to ground me for it. I was still a year or so away from discovering stuff not on the radio, but I started buying CDs and hiding them the one place she'd never look: the bottom of my dirty clothes hamper. I really only remember the one big hit from this album, but I remember playing it over and over.

20 (2003): Nothing. Why? Again, I was raised Mormon, so at this time I was a missionary in South America, and the rules didn't allow any non-church music for those two years. I missed music so much, because at the end of high school and the beginning of college I had become an avid consumer of indie rock, folk, hip hop, and jazz. During those two years, I would often play Radiohead, Elliott Smith, or Built to Spill songs in my head.

25 (2008): TV on the Radio- Dear Science - Nothing hit that sweet spot in my brain at this time like TVOTR, and even if I didn't like this one as much as Cookie Mountain, it was my favorite album that year.

30 (2013): Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City - I still think Vampire Weekend are a pretty good band, but I never would have put them anywhere near my favorites, with one great exception: this album. It's just a collection of great songs, perfectly sequenced. I enjoy their other stuff, but this where the stars aligned for them.

35 (2018): Foxing - Nearer My God - I'm picking this one because I love it and because it's indicative of a trend I never would have expected- the emo revival, and me liking it. I loved the late 90s/early 2000s emo wave, then I thought I "grew out of it," and when newer groups like Foxing or the Hotelier came along, I rediscovered my love of some older groups in the scene.

I love how you handled your mission year and this list. Good stuff!

Not exactly a 5-10-15-20 bit, but, close and very interesting. This one is from thelineofbestfit.com, and the feature is called Nine Songs, where artists discuss some of their favorites through the years. Below are the three pieces done with each of the members of boygenius. Not surprised to see that all three have awesome taste.

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/listomania/julien-baker-chooses-nine-songs1

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/listomania/phoebe-bridgers-chooses-nine-favourite-songs

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/listomania/lucy-dacus-chooses-nine-favourite-songs

Back