2024 Reading Challenge

Book 6: Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes (Translated by Edith Grossman)
View attachment 197565

GArJa7nW0AA4bjx.jpg:large

Damn fine book; I read it in college 20 years ago and have been meaning to return and try out the Grossman translation. Great translation, btw; Grossman makes the prose really sing, and she includes copious footnotes which contextualize the contemporary literary references and underline the more language-and-culture-specific wordplay. I know I read all of part 1 in school, but I think I skimmed part 2; I actually enjoyed part 2 a lot more this time, as there are fewer digressions and sideplots.

I have a lecture series I've been watching on the book for more context and deeper understanding of the themes and historical context, but I can already say at this point Cervantes has some timeless things to say about fiction and its place in our lives. If ever you think people's inability to be normal about culture/media is some modern development, I strongly recommend reading this book. The amount of slapstick and Farrelly-style effluvium humor is timeless as well.
Book 7: Ripley Under Ground, by Patricia Highsmith
Picked this up during a weekend trip in the middle of my Don Quixote read; this def went down better on a plane ride than Cervantes. I read Talented Mr. Ripley a few years back and loved it, so I’m trying to crawl through the series.

Under Ground concerns Ripley’s art forgery ring: aware of a reclusive artist’s suicide, Ripley and co. enlist a friend to continue generating works and selling them under the artist’s name. A suspicious interloper throws a spanner in the works, of course. Highsmith writes great suspense and Ripley is a great foil; he’s truly reactive, not so much one step ahead as keenly apace with every plot development.

On that note, I watched the first episode of Netflix’s Ripley, which was pretty good and refreshing in its combination of fleet storytelling and dialogue-free sequences.

Book 8: The Member of the Wedding, by Carson McCullars
Damn fine novella. I’ve never read any McCullars, but am finding myself increasingly a sucker for mid-century southern writers. The relatively simple story concerns a young girl who considers her future and identity in anticipation of her brother’s wedding. Lots of questions of identity and circumstance are thrown around, and I could see one arguing that it’s an early American queer text.

Book 9: Liberation Day, by George Saunders

This has been bouncing around my shelf since November ‘22, when I got to see Saunders speak as part of the Portland Book Fest. Love the guy, love hearing him talk about writing; this is my first collection after reading A Swim in a Pond in the Rain and subscribing to his Story Club substack, so it was interesting seeing the results of a creative process I now understand much more.

For better or worse, this is boilerplate Saunders: while there are exceptions, one notices the repetition of stories about menial workers in strange, dystopic theme parks or living history museums. It’s bizarre to think he’s been writing about this stuff since the 90s, and the gig economy and startup culture is catching up to exactly what he was talking about in CivilWarLand in Bad Decline.

Book 10: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, by Haruki Murakami
Kinda read this one in the background. I think I was hoping for a bit of meditation on the relationship between exercise and creativity, especially as the book came recommended in an article which excerpted what turns out is the one section on the matter: writing works out Murakami’s mind, running works out his body.

For better or worse, in typical Murakami fashion, he’s very circumspect in discussing running. He runs long distances, and runs every day. He’s quick to say his physiology is unique, and he’s lucky to run so much without injury. In fact, everything about his perspective on running is tempered with understanding that his experience is unique to himself that it comes across as bragging that’s too humble, or humility gilded with braggadocio.

Book 11: Galapagos, by Kurt Vonnegut
I went to Indianapolis to visit my spouse’s family and see the eclipse last week, so I thought I’d pick something up by my favorite hoosier. In high school and college I gobbled up as much of his work as I could; looking now I realize I’m 4-6 books away from having read the bibliography, so perhaps that’ll be an ongoing goal.

This was a great pleasure to read. I really like how Vonnegut can spin the story out from minute details and situations; Galapagos starts with a con artist sitting at a hotel bar, and before that man has even gotten up from his seat the story has become about global war, survival, and the fate of the human race a million years from now. I wish only that my own cynicism towards humanity can be so tempered by genuine, amused affection.

Book 20

30 Years of Wrestlemania by Brian Shields
1000003611.jpg

Keeping the nostalgia rolling along. Been nice to (re)visit a couple/few Manias most evenings before bed. The book goes pretty in-depth, giving each match a write up and at least one photo, in addition to a couple bonus sections about the WWE Hall of Fam, Fan Axxess and The Streak of The Undertaker.

Book 20

30 Years of Wrestlemania by Brian Shields
View attachment 200726

Keeping the nostalgia rolling along. Been nice to (re)visit a couple/few Manias most evenings before bed. The book goes pretty in-depth, giving each match a write up and at least one photo, in addition to a couple bonus sections about the WWE Hall of Fam, Fan Axxess and The Streak of The Undertaker.
Is 30 Years of Wrestlemania to 2024 what Song of Solomon was to 2023??

Last year we had 3 or 4 people reading Song of Solomon; I thought you were the second person to say they were reading 50 years of Wrestlemania. Until I searched the thread and realized you were the one to bring it up previously. Joke failed.

Haha! Gotcha. No, instead I'll be the one person reading 3 or 4 similar wrasslin' books. 50 years of WWE and 30 Years of Wrestlemania down, 25 years of Raw and 20 years of Smckdown to go!

Book #4: Day One by Abigail Dean

IMG_4682.jpeg

Abigail’s first book “Girl A” was tied for my favorite book of 2021 so I was eagerly awaiting her new novel. “Girl A” was incredibly upsetting but extremely gripping. This was just upsetting. I didn’t want to pick it back up after I was done for the day. It’s a heavy subject that’s sadly extremely relevant, but I don’t think it really adds much to the topic. And there is a twist that was super obvious but really just muddled the already weak take on the subject matter. It was well written but I definitely didn’t enjoy my time reading it

Rating: 2.5/5

3. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: Rating - 1/5
thought I should read another book by her since I loved Gone Girl so much and I feel the complete opposite feelings. I can’t remember the last time I hated a book so much. Boring and surprisingly predictable. Felt like a complete chore to get through.

Slight update to this score. I read this about a month ago and in that time I have not stopped thinking about it. I still don’t necessarily like it but the themes and the ending are much more effective the more time I sit with it

I always like to read reviews after finishing books, and I was surprised how many people call it a masterpiece.

Maybe I should read The Old Man and the Sea or Bell. But for now, I'm good.

This is the only one I've ever read and I love it, one of the best novellas I've ever read. He manages to squeeze so much empathy and emotion into effectively a parable and it'll take you no more than a couple of hours to get through,
The Old Man And The Sea is one of three books that I read yearly. Love it. Just the right length and so much emotion packed in.

The Old Man And The Sea is one of three books that I read yearly. Love it. Just the right length and so much emotion packed in.
It’s been ages since I’ve read Old Man and the Sea, but you guys have motivated me to rectify that.

Out of curiosity, what are the other two yearly reads?

It’s been ages since I’ve read Old Man and the Sea, but you guys have motivated me to rectify that.

Everyone Poops and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Edit: just realized the question wasn't directed toward me. But, yea, third is coincidentally also The Old Man and the Sea.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain and The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson.

Im not entirely sure when/why I started reading them each year but I'm still not bored of doing it and I'm about 7-8 years into doing it.

Very excited to start this one tonight. I'm 3 for 3 so far in my one book a month challenge. I'm just a super slow reader but when I find something good, I jump all into it. I've also found I'm more interested in historical non-fiction. What's interesting about this choice is I took something I do with records and applied it to a book. Covers of albums have gotten me to purchase a record with no prior knowledge of the artist or listening to the music. Madvillainy being the best example that comes to mind. This was one I saw on a trip to Barnes and Noble and knew I had to try it out. Found out later it was by the Killers of the Flower Moon author.

51YZKMOv6bL.jpg
The Wager was a very enjoyable read. My May book will be this one that sounded right up my Perry Mason HBO show loving alley

91pNOgbGV9L._SY522_.jpg

April 2024

Book 21: Eleanor Catton - The Luminaries

thumbnail_IMG_2145.jpg
This was a real pot-boiler of an epic tale set during the New Zealand gold rush. A cast of 12 characters relate their part in a tale of murder and mystery for the first half of the book which does lead to a bit of repetition but not altogether unwelcome as it helped uncomplicate matters. The second half moves the story forward to an excellent revelation and conclusion.

Book 22: Jorge Zepeda Patterson - The Black Jersey
thumbnail_IMG_2146.jpg
This was a bit of a dud. I don't know whether it's the translation or whether it genuinely is a young readers book but, it all felt fairly Hardy Boys in terms of both content and form. There's some detailed and interesting insight into the world of professional cycling and specifically the Tour de France but the murder among the riders story which sounded really promising to me just fell a bit short of expectations. The dumb twist at the end felt unnecessary and juvenile.

Book 23: Ali Smith - Spring
thumbnail_IMG_2147.jpg
Third and favourite of the excellent quartet that I've read so far. Same themes of Brexit, division and art feature heavily and it really was told with spectacular prose and really vivid characters.

Book 24: Paul Auster - Music of Chance
thumbnail_IMG_2148.jpg
I was dreading this reread of my favourite Auster as a few haven't lived up to my memory so far but, phew, this wasn't one of them. In fact, it was an absolute belter of a book with a great story and characters. It feels a bit like a David Mamet story at times but with more left to the titular chance than Mamet would ever allow for. Hopefully an Auster turnaround as I tackle a previously unread one next month.

Book 25: Alice Walker - The Color Purple
thumbnail_IMG_2149.jpg
I loved this. I know I'm over 40 years behind everyone else here but, it's never too late to pick up a novel so deserving of its popular and critical acclaim. Having never seen the adaptations it was all new to me and although the epistolary style can sometimes feel like you're only getting a very loose view of a story, it really works here and helps the breadth of Celie and Nettie's histories feel manageable and resonant.

Book 26: Don Delillo - Great Jones Street
thumbnail_IMG_2150.jpg
An aloof rock star dumps his band mid-tour and retreats to the solitude of his place on Great Jones Street, NY. Finding himself embroiled in a bidding-war over a pack of stolen, experimental, government-made drugs; multiple efforts to get him to return to the band; and the search for his near mythical 'mountain tapes'. Parallels to Dylan are evident and the prose is as strong as ever but, ultimately (and I have no doubt it is intentional), the superficial nature of these people involved in both rock n' roll and drugs is largely boring as all hell! Fortunately, there was plenty of plot to get me through this one but, not a high-point Delillo for me.

Book 27: Dorothy B. Hughes - In a Lonely Place
thumbnail_IMG_2151.jpg
This was simply amazing. A true gem of crime fiction. It reads like a mid-20th century noir Crime & Punishment. The psychology of the killer is revealed in ever minute detail as he stalks his way through Los Angeles facing his past and his present loneliness, suffering paranoia and anxiety at every turn. Beautifully written and incredibly tense to the point of being really difficult to put down. Great read.

Book 12: There’s Always This Year: On Basketball and Ascension, by Hanif Abdurraqib
IMG_4172.jpg
I was born in the 80s, and came into grade school during the height of Michael Jordan worship and the cultural dominance of basketball. I had parents whose instinct was to pull us kids away from anything popular for reasons they didn’t understand, but while the narrative at home was we shouldn’t worship people who “bounce a ball for a living” (my dad, a Black republican, had nothing but time for “pull your shorts up” respectability policing), I still understood the cachet the ball held on the schoolyard and to this day envy the constancy and drama of sports fandom.

With There’s Always This Year, Hanif Abdurriqib unravels the sport, its history and conventions, and threads it between the individual experience, the wider Black experience, and most importantly, the interchangeability of one’s identity with the identity of location. This is a book about accepting your hometown (a place inherently thrust upon us and a part of our identity that exists the furthest away from choice), leaving it, coming back, and what it means when others leave, whether pulled away by opportunity or force.

Back