2024 Reading Challenge

The buildup to the Civil War. That's a great part about the Alamo book. It's not just the stock Texas hero myth I was given in 7th grade Texas History class of "fighting against the oppression and overtaxation of Mexico and the dictator Santa Anna". It really dives into all the little things that started the Texas revolt and exposed the fear of losing slavery under further Mexican rule in a time when Texas was exporting a ton of cotton.
It's a little on the older side at this point, but The Impending Crisis 1848-1861 by David Potter would be the overview you're looking for. Once you get to the Civil War itself, I'd highly recommend Shelby Foote's The Civil War trilogy or James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom.

Book 5

Great Falls, MT: Fast Times, Post-Punk Weirdos, and a Tale of Coming Home Again by Reggie Watts
20240125_213959.jpg

About exactly what I'd expect from a Reggie Watts autobiography but with surprises too - mostly because I didn't live his life so lots of this was new to me! Stylistically the book is unmistakably Reggie, and to me that's a damn good thing.

First book down for the year, Peter Jesperson - Euphoric Recall. Nice read detailing his times with The Replacements, R.E.M., Twin/Tone, New West and life in the music business. Wrote down quite a few bands to check out, not that I need any more! 😂

IMG_1075.jpeg

680B4A6A-990A-4A53-9C55-B0B28B102B19.jpeg
Book #3 of the year, 60 Songs That Explain the 90s - Rob Harvilla

I knew this was a podcast before reading and I am interested in listening to more of it. As a reading experience, it does feel a little disjointed and haphazard. A lot of amusing moments and a lot where I felt like it was just random bursts of information. I liked it, but it could have been better with more detail and focus. I’m willing to bet that the podcast format fits the goal better than a book.

View attachment 193783
Book #3 of the year, 60 Songs That Explain the 90s - Rob Harvilla

I knew this was a podcast before reading and I am interested in listening to more of it. As a reading experience, it does feel a little disjointed and haphazard. A lot of amusing moments and a lot where I felt like it was just random bursts of information. I liked it, but it could have been better with more detail and focus. I’m willing to bet that the podcast format fits the goal better than a book.
Pretty much my feelings on the book

Book 2: Lady Joker Volume 1 by Kaoru Takamura (John Murray Press, 2022)

It's been a slow start to the reading year but I enjoyed this book a lot. It's incredibly slow-paced though and I feel like the majority of the 576 pages could have been cut out without affecting the story at all. It is a good story which is really enjoyable. There are some cultural elements that need to be grasped in order to follow but once I got my head around them I managed to keep up. There's a second volume which I have but im really going to need a break before I dig in, I can only imagine the pace is similar.

IMG_7991.JPG

Book 6

Enter the Blue by Dave Chisholm
20240129_093427.jpg

A pretty fantastic fantastical graphic novel about jazz featuring poignant cameos from some of the masters and a conspiratorial secret history of Blue Note Records. Writer/artist Dave Chisholm holds a doctorate in jazz trumpet and his love and knowledge for the music and its history are evident throughout these pages. I picked this up on a whim and am glad I did! Would recommend this one in general, and especially to jazz fans.

Book 7

Queenie: Godmother of Harlem by Elizabeth Colomba & Aurélie Levy
20240130_221815.jpg

This historical graphic novel provided a nice dopamine hit distraction from the ADHD book I'm currently reading. It's a decent entry into the histories of the Harlem Renaissance. It stretches itself a bit thin at times as it covers a lot of ground, often at the expense of other players in the story. A great gateway for the uninitiated into the legend of Stephanie St. Clair, and a generally enjoyable read.

January 2024

Book 1: Patricia Highsmith - The Boy Who Followed Ripley

thumbnail_IMG_1982.jpg
So-so addition to the Ripley series. Tom befriends a 16 year old boy with a murderous past in this fourth instalment, gets into European mischief and intrigue before a tragic end awaits them in America. It dragged a little bit in all honesty but, there were some typically suspenseful passages that made it a worthwhile read.

Book 2: John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces
thumbnail_IMG_1983.jpg
Whoah! What a book. I'll start by summarizing the terribly sad story behind the novel: written in 1961, it remained still unpublished in 1969 when, fraught with depression, Toole took his own life. Following a persistent campaign by his mother to get Walker Percy - a local writer and teacher to read the book, the Louisiana State University Press finally published it in 1980 for it to go on and win the Pulitzer Prize in 1981! And what a remarkable, funny book. Full of so many memorable and hilarious characters led by the work-shy, highly educated slob, Ignatius J. Reilly. It's a glorious love letter to New Orleans, too. I cannot recommend this one enough, anyone who loved Paul Beatty's The Sellout, this reminded me of a '60s NOLA version to his 21st century L.A. set laughfest.

Book 3: Ali Smith - Winter
thumbnail_IMG_1984.jpg
Second and another outstanding entry in Smith's seasonal quartet. Brexit and the turmoil it threatened and then provided continue to shape her characters. Art and artists remain a pivotal counterbalance to the ugly and mundane in this story. Fascinating reading despite what felt like a potentially slow and confusing start.

Book 4: Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy
thumbnail_IMG_1985.jpg
There's a few writers I'm fond of that I'm keen to do full chronological read throughs of, including rereads like this one. I seem to remember enjoying it a bit more the first time around in all honesty. It's written well enough for sure, I just think 20 year old me must have enjoyed the experimental aspects of these mystery thriller novellas a little more than today's me did. That being said, it's a thinker and that's never a bad thing. 'Pretentious' appears to be a common adjective thrown at the novel. I don't quite see it that way. It's very, very clever but, I can see why it might be seen as trying a bit too hard to be so.

Book 5: Danya Kukafka - Girl in Snow
thumbnail_IMG_1986.jpg
Another slightly atypical mystery thriller. A dead teenage girl is found in her schoolyard and the story unfolds through the voices of three people in the small Colorado town: a neighbour; an infatuated admirer; a policeman. Cleverly crafted and taut, the story delivers a trilogy of somewhat sad and uncomfortable lives from the eyes of these storytellers and gradually reveals the circumstances surrounding the girl's murder. Smartly developed characters and plenty of red herrings, this delivers a really readable thriller. Worth a try for fans of murder mysteries.

Book 6: Marlon James - The Book of Night Women
thumbnail_IMG_1987.jpg
Sometimes you read a book that just blows you away and this has been one of them. Detailing the lives of slaves under the English colonisation of Jamaica, James makes matter-of-fact the brutality of slave life and educates as much as entertains for want of a better word. It doesn't have the myriad in-depth voices that made Seven Killings such a masterpiece I don't think but, the breadth of the history that he unravels left me feeling shame-faced, while the power dynamics within the plantation and the violence, sexual violence and pain for sport just left me feeling both sad and enraged. It's a decent length book that I found myself flying through, desperate to pick up again whenever I could, despite the difficult subject matter.

Book 7: Carrie Fisher - Postcards from the Edge
thumbnail_IMG_1988.jpg
Mrs Moore has raved about Fisher's books to me for years but, this is the first one I've picked up. I enjoyed it on the whole. I typically find other people's drug experiences to be dull as dishwater and this was in danger in the early pages of feeling like it was heading in that direction. Fortunately, Fisher's writing is witty enough to lift it out of that tedium and her characters can be a hoot despite their countless Hollywood issues.

IMG_0789.jpeg

Book 1 - Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre

Started the year with an easy read. Quite enjoyed this, and I’ve read a number of his books over the years. Essentially this is (Scottish) social commentary via crime fiction, this time looking at psychics and mystical woo. Sometimes feels like the story takes a back seat to the commentary, but it was a good way to start the year.

Book 1 - Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver

I really enjoyed reading this, but it's a tough read. The subject matter: addiction, poverty, and broken families in Appalachia is really heavy and depressing, and Kingsolver goes deep. It starts with the protagonist's birth to a single mother, who is a teenager and an addict. And that sets the tone that continues for the duration. It's dark, and funny, and infuriating, and really beautifully written in a way that made me empathize with a group of people that I have little in common with. Highly recommended.

Oh yeah, I guess it's a modern day retelling of David Copperfield, which I'm embarrassed to admit I have never read. Probably should add that to the list.

So brutal, sad, and tragic all at the same time.

0d29d5f5-85ae-4cdf-a3e4-af500c3baf15

Book 8

How to ADHD: An Insider's Guide to Working  with Your Brain (Not Against It!) by Jessica McCabe
20240208_133042.jpg

I was sure I would be able to plow through this book so quickly but instead found myself procrastinating on it pretty frequently, or just generally unable to read more than one chapter at a time. It's brilliantly engaging, quite comprehensive and very enjoyable, but it's also a lot. This is perhaps the first book I've ever wanted to get myself a copy of (which I'll likely be doing sooner than later) in order to highlight passages and make notes in the margins. I cannot recommend this book highligh enough to anybody that has ADHD, or has someone with ADHD in their lives.

Book 5 - Fever Dream - Samanta Schweblin
71TlKmqeh+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I read Little Eyes a few years ago and remember liking it a lot, and I really enjoyed the writing of this one as well. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much, but the atmosphere was excellent and unsettling. I might see if I can grab Little Eyes again from the library for a reread in the near future too.

Book 9

There's Just One Problem... True Tales From the Former, One-Time, 7th Most Powerful Person in the WWE by Brian Gewirtz
20240213_160915.jpg

Outright fun. Guaranteed enjoyable for even a casual wrestling fan, and likely even enjoyable for non-fans too! There was a two year stretch in my early twenties (which would have been a couple years into Gewirtz's tenure with the WWE) where the idea of being a writer for the WWE held very strong appeal for me so this particularly insightful and enjoyable as a better look into that realm.

Book 9

There's Just One Problem... True Tales From the Former, One-Time, 7th Most Powerful Person in the WWE by Brian Gewirtz
View attachment 195246

Outright fun. Guaranteed enjoyable for even a casual wrestling fan, and likely even enjoyable for non-fans too! There was a two year stretch in my early twenties (which would have been a couple years into Gewirtz's tenure with the WWE) where the idea of being a writer for the WWE held very strong appeal for me so this particularly insightful and enjoyable as a better look into that realm.
Have you read Bob Mould’s autobiography? He has a good few chapters about his time at WCW.

Back