2024 Reading Challenge

Low expectations for me this year - 10, with a 15 stretch goal. Started reading on the train today, which I’m hoping is a better start to the day than wasting time on my phone!
Any challenge is a challenge regardless of the amount! It was when I replaced going on my phone during my morning commute to reading that I really started getting through them. Really glad I did, much more enjoyable and memorable.

I'm going to see if I can hit 60 this year - I've got a lot of shorter (poetry and 33 1/3) books to get through, so they add up at a good pace. I also read an absolute buttload of comics collections last year that I didn't include in the reading challenge (I did include some graphic novels though, and will again, as they're a somewhat different beast) but now that I've caught up on the past six years of Batman and a couple of bibliography dives and catch-ups I'm hoping I can replace some of those collections with a few more books this year.

Trying for one a month. I need to disconnect from the internet and social media after I wrap up my work day. For our family gift exchange, I just asked for a book to get me started on my reading journey.

First up was one I heard about on a local radio station that peaked my interests. Very interested in this because as kid growing up in Texas, there was no bigger story told to you than the Alamo.

Trying for one a month. I need to disconnect from the internet and social media after I wrap up my work day. For our family gift exchange, I just asked for a book to get me started on my reading journey.

First up was one I heard about on a local radio station that peaked my interests. Very interested in this because as kid growing up in Texas, there was no bigger story told to you than the Alamo.

I just realized that I have been Instagram free for a year. I think dropping that time-suck definitely freed up hours last year to read more.

I just realized that I have been Instagram free for a year. I think dropping that time-suck definitely freed up hours last year to read more.

Getting rid of this place would definitely give me more time to read, but I would probably hate and read less.

Congrats on your 'gram-free year. Leaving the book of face 3 years ago was probably the best thing I've done for myself in the past few years. For all the reasons.

Book 1: And Did Those Feet...Six British Jazz Composers (Jazz In Britain, 2023)

I started reading this before New Years day but read most of it yesterday and a delayed train journey home from work tonight allowed me to finish it off. A really interesting book that highlights obvious choices (Mike Westbrook, Michael Garrick, Keith Tippett) along with the less obvious (Mike Gibbs, Barry Guy, John Mayer). I have read a few of Duncan Heining's books before and whilst his writing is fantastic he does have the habit of making bold claims about which albums are the more "important ones" from a musician's Discography when others could easily be argued to the same level. Still, thats his choice and doesn't take away from what was a great read!

IMG_7391.JPG

Book 1 - Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore

This will be my third Murakami. (Norwegian Wood and The Wind Up Bird Chronicle are the others so far)
I didn't get very far today, I was overtaken by the need for a nap with a snoozing cat on my lap.

View attachment 191917
I read this last year for the first time and enjoyed it. Perhaps not as “out there” as the Wind Up Bird Chronicle but certainly more so than Norwegian Wood. It helps that it’s split into 2 seemingly separate narratives for the most part.

Book 1 - Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore

This will be my third Murakami. (Norwegian Wood and The Wind Up Bird Chronicle are the others so far)
I didn't get very far today, I was overtaken by the need for a nap with a snoozing cat on my lap.

View attachment 191917
Been meaning to read this one and Wind Up Bird for a long time. I've read a good amount of Murakami, and he has his issues, but I always find the vibes impeccable. Killing Comendatore doesn't go anywhere, and I still loved it.

Been meaning to read this one and Wind Up Bird for a long time. I've read a good amount of Murakami, and he has his issues, but I always find the vibes impeccable. Killing Comendatore doesn't go anywhere, and I still loved it.
I loved Wind Up, I couldn't put that one down. Actually, I read Norwegian pretty quickly too. Anyway, I will probably read one of his per year. My wife has a copy of IQ84 so that might be next.

I loved Wind Up, I couldn't put that one down. Actually, I read Norwegian pretty quickly too. Anyway, I will probably read one of his per year. My wife has a copy of IQ84 so that might be next.
Killing Commendatore is probably my favourite of his out of the ones I have read. Maybe tied with Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

For the most part I stick to buying books from charity shops only (re-use where I can) so im at the mercy of what I find when it comes to looking for specific authors. I found a copy of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World before Christmas so that will likely be my next one of his that I read, although I think I have a copy of 1Q84 stashed away somewhere too.

I'm more of a leach than anything on these threads, but I appreciate all of your write ups and suggestions. It's led me to some really great reads.

First up for me this year, a christmas gift from my brother: Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. Might as well start the year with something dark.

Last edited:
Back