2023 Reading Challenge

Book 47

The Upcycled Self: A Memoir on the Art of Becoming Who We Are by Tariq 'Black Thought' Trotter
20231223_083954.jpg

Of course he would write a thought-provoking memoir - it's in the namesake! Incredibly great read. While I consider 'riq to be the #1 emcee of all-time I've never delved too deeply into his personal story, but he lays it all out here and it's an intense and wild ride! No tell-all about that rock star life, The Roots barely feature in the book at all. Instead it's a love letter to the people and places that helped him become the man that he is. A compelling enough read for the casual listener or non-fan, and an absolute must for fans.

Book 48

Things You May Find Hidden In My Ear by Mosab Abu Toha

20231225_214304.jpg

Some of these poems are devastatingly beautiful and some are simply devastating. Born in a refugee camp in Gaza to a father who was born in a refugee camp in Gaza, Abu Toha's poems are vivid dispatches of life in a place under siege. An extra timely time to read this book given the current state of things in Gaza. I recall seeing headlines sometime over the past few months about a Palestinian poet being detained (possibly one being killed as well) sure enough, upon looking it up once I finished this book, it was Mosab. His harrowing account was published online by The New Yorker just today:

Book 34: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt (Sceptre, 2009)

I was recommended and borrowed this book and went in blind. It really captivated me throughout. It's split into 2 parts with the first being slices of lives of different people living in Savannah from the 1960's onwards. The second half centres around a murder trial of one of those characters (the victim being another) which is spread across 10 years or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it wasnt until after I read it that I found out that its based upon true events.

IMG_7182.JPG

Book 49

Falling Back In Love With Being Human: Letters to Lost Souls by Kai Cheng Thom

20231226_141721.jpg

This was a perfect light read through the holidays. Thom wrote these letters during the pandemic as a means to help maintain sanity and humanity in isolation. Also an incredible exercise in her belief that everybody is deserving of love, even people who do and have done horrific things (of which there are certainly some in this book!) A nice little word balm through the darker days.

Book 50

My Soft Response To The Wars by RC Weslowski

20231226_141704.jpg

This one's a re-read. I actually own a copy, but requested my local library pick it up and decided to read it again once it arrived. This is an all-timer book from an all-timer writer/performer for me. I realized while reading it that 20 years ago this past April was when I'd attended my first spoken word poetry show, and RC was one of the performers that night (in fact, he performed the title poem of this book that night, as well as another one included here) - in the two decades since he's become a friend, a mentor, and my favourite weird uncle (he is actually Uncle RC to my son!) With a background in broadcasting and training in clown, RC's writings and performances are laced with heavy doses of surrealism and mirth (in one piece he refers to himself as a "sacrilegious trickster," and I think that title is quite apt), taking readers/listeners on wild journeys of discovery that ultimately reveal great beauty and heart - taking the time to remind us that we are all BEAUTY BA BO!

Book 45 - Really Good, Actually / Monica Heisey

Monica Heisey is a Canadian author, now living in the UK. She was a writer on Schitt's Creek and new UK tv show, Smothered. Normally this is not the type of book I would pick up (modern dating/rom-com with 20s Torontonians) but my sister-in-law really talked it up when I saw her a few weeks ago. So far about a hundred pages and I am enjoying it. Also happy not to be a Gen-Z living in the Big Smoke.

IMG_0122.jpg

Book 34: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt (Sceptre, 2009)

I was recommended and borrowed this book and went in blind. It really captivated me throughout. It's split into 2 parts with the first being slices of lives of different people living in Savannah from the 1960's onwards. The second half centres around a murder trial of one of those characters (the victim being another) which is spread across 10 years or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it wasnt until after I read it that I found out that its based upon true events.

View attachment 191489
This one is in my 2024 list to read. I bought a copy for my Ma and Pa before their trip to Savannah a few weeks ago and my dad liked it. I feel like I saw the film 20 years or so ago but can’t fully remember it.
Book 45 - Really Good, Actually / Monica Heisey

Monica Heisey is a Canadian author, now living in the UK. She was a writer on Schitt's Creek and new UK tv show, Smothered. Normally this is not the type of book I would pick up (modern dating/rom-com with 20s Torontonians) but my sister-in-law really talked it up when I saw her a few weeks ago. So far about a hundred pages and I am enjoying it. Also happy not to be a Gen-Z living in the Big Smoke.

View attachment 191501
Just picked this up on a kindle 99p daily deal. Seems to be getting generally positive reader reviews. I’ll try and add this one to 2024’s to read list too.

This one is in my 2024 list to read. I bought a copy for my Ma and Pa before their trip to Savannah a few weeks ago and my dad liked it. I feel like I saw the film 20 years or so ago but can’t fully remember it.

Just picked this up on a kindle 99p daily deal. Seems to be getting generally positive reader reviews. I’ll try and add this one to 2024’s to read list too.
It was a fun read, I’m sure you will enjoy it. There’s a few architectural bits of info in there which I found really interesting, I actually checked online to see if they were true and it seems to hold up.

I read a few reviews that say the first half is disjointed and it does feel like a series of character profiles to be fair, but I actually quite liked that. It meant that once I got to the second half, the story ran smoother as I knew a bit of background info to each character.

Book 51

Krautrock by Marshall Gu
20231229_085337.jpg

This is my second dip into the 33 1/3 GENRE series (Trip-Hop is in queue for the presumably near future) and I'm a big fan so far. This book, in particular, is the better of the two I've read so far, though it's not without faults and an occasional typo. Rather than a chronological exploration, Gu breaks the chapters down by band and briefly explores their own histories while contextualizing them into the bigger picture. Not the most comprehensive look at krautrock in the world, but a great digestible overview that I found well worth the read.

Book 52

Friends Without Bodies by Brendan McLeod
20231230_224916.jpg

A pandemic diary in poetry form. I've been following McLeod's work as a performing poet and musician (and one-time winner of the 3-Day Novel contest!) for many years now, so his is a comfortable voice to slip into reading, even in moments that are clearly uncomfortable for him. I find great joy in his humour and wonderment.

December 2023

Book 57: Girl, Woman, Other - Bernardine Evaristo

thumbnail_IMG_1928.jpg
Collection of 12 short stories about 12 women of African ancestry ranging multiple ages, backgrounds, class, sexuality and gender identity, their lives intersecting to form a novel. Truly lovely writing, poetic and moving and worthy of the myriad awards it won.

Book 58: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
thumbnail_IMG_1929.jpg
My fourth but least favourite Murakami to date. This one was too heavy on the sci-fi angle and the parallel storylines just happened to be the third or fourth book this year with a similar technique adopted, the others being more enjoyable I think. Norwegian Wood is next in the sequence which I'm looking forward to.

Book 59: Night Shift - Stephen King
thumbnail_IMG_1930.jpg
This was brilliant, a really great compendium of short stories. A couple, I'd already read as addendums to 'Salem's Lot but both benefitted on this second read from a little time since reading the main feature. So many others I was sort of familiar from movie adaptations but all were a real treat to read.

Book 60: Small Things Like These - Claire Keegan
thumbnail_IMG_1931.jpg
Following the recommendation from @Ericj32 I gave this one a whirl and I concur, it is a really impressive piece of succinct but serious writing. The Magdalene Laundries were something I was totally unaware of but it comes as no surprise that this was allowed to go on. The short tale ends with an uncertain but hopeful note for just one of the poor girls made to suffer at the hands of the Catholic nuns.

Book 61-63: L.A. Noir - The Lloyd Hopkins Trilogy - Blood on the Moon; Because the Night; Suicide Hill - James Ellroy
thumbnail_IMG_1932.jpg
I honestly only intended to tackle one of these this year but found myself enjoying the first one so much I just ploughed through to the finale. Very enjoyable cat and mouse stories of a morally questionable cop and his adversaries. I like Ellroy's writing and his characterisations but I do wonder sometimes whether he gets just a little too much pleasure from his racist and misogynistic characters (of which there are many), or whether he simply does a really good job of writing them. They're all largely despicable though, either way.

Book 64: An Island - Karen Jennings
thumbnail_IMG_1933.jpg
Another succinct but serious novella, this one a post-colonial story from an unnamed African nation. A solitary lighthouse keeper finds a body washed up and takes him in. Our protagonist's years of struggle fighting dictatorships, serving decades incarcerated and then ultimately nearly three decades as the sole inhabitant of this small island have left a very unsociable, paranoid old soul who struggles with his Man Friday's presence. Really good, quick read.

2023 in Review
thumbnail_IMG_1934.jpg
Solid year, not too many duds and a whole lot of belters.
Real stand-outs:
Booth, The Agony and the Ecstasy and The Mirror & The Light were all superb examples of historical fiction detailing fascinating people.
Luster, The Shards and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow were my favourite contemporary books.
Stephen King blew me away with the epic The Stand and then impressed me equally with the succinctness of his short stories in Night Shift.
Franzen, Perrotta and Russo offered up quite differing slices of American Pie but all left me hungry to sample more.
But, if pushed to pick a top spot, I think it would have to go to the quirky experimental world of George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo. I feel like this will remain in my thoughts longer than any others, although ironically, only just pipping Booth which I also tell anyone who'll listen is a bona fide modern masterpiece.

Last edited:
Well this was a super fun reading year!

Hard to choose my favourites but the last entry "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil" was good. "The Bear Comes Home" was an unexpected pleasure. "The Underground Railroad" was a fantastic read and made all the more impactful considering it was based on actual events. The autobiography of Nike's Phil Knight, "Shoe Dog", was a fantastic book too. I read plenty of jazz books this year too with the Joe Harriott profile "Sketches From Life" being a nice short read. I also read a few more Murakami books this year, with "Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki" being very different to the others I have read, but enjoyable all the same!

For those of you that want to start afresh this year, heres a link to the new 2024 Reading Challenge thread!

A few standouts for me this year were all music memoirs, Steve Turner - Mud Ride, Miki Berenyi - Fingers Crossed and Stuart Braithwaite - Spaceships Over Scotland.

Hardly a dud book this year fiction-wise. Nothing that really blew my socks off but only one book that I started and then stopped after 100 pages.

23. Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke and Other Misfortunes by Eric LaRocca - Had this recommended as a shocking, viral horror story, so decided to give this collection a shot. Unfortunately pretty terrible. Bad prose, corny execution.

24. It Came Frim the Closet: Essays by Various - An essay collection on queer readings of horror films by a number of writers. Fun and enlightening!

25. Bag of Bones by Stephen King - My yearly King read for the holiday season and sadly thought this one kinda sucked too. A cool vibe (haunted beach house in western Maine) but EXTREMELY dated and capital P problematic in more ways than one. And too long. Love the King but probably will take a break from him next year.

26. Capitalism Realism by Mark Fisher - A great, short look at the potential for alternatives to our current hellscape.

27. Faithful and Virtuous Night by Louise Glück - Read The Wild Iris earlier this year and enjoyed, so decided to read another since she recently passed away. Lovely, evocative poetry.

28. Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky - This was a fascinating, dence little read. Kind of hilarious, but also runs the gammit in terms of how you feel for this poor little loser. Will be reading more Dostoevsky soon.

Currently reading They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraquib, one of my favorite current writers. Think I will be closing out the year with Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita and some Mary Oliver poetry. Also need to pick an audiobook to enjoy on Spotify. TBD!
29. They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraquib. Great stuff as usual from Hanif. This is his first work, so I don't think it's as realized as his mote recent stuff, but still very moving and insightful looks at kusic and culture.

30. Devotions by Mary Oliver. This was a gorgeous and delightful collection of poetry. Recommend for anybody looking for a sense of peace.

I've read a little more than half of The Hundred Years' War on Palestine the last month and a half but haven't finished yet. Slow going due to the difficult nature of the subject, but will complete soon.

Also plan on readin a lot more poetry next year. Have a bunch from the library right now!

Book 60: Small Things Like These - Claire Keegan
View attachment 191779
Following the recommendation from @Ericj32 I gave this one a whirl and I concur, it is a really impressive piece of succinct but serious writing. The Magdalene Laundries were something I was totally unaware of but it comes as no surprise that this was allowed to go on. The short tale ends with an uncertain but hopeful note for just one of the poor girls made to suffer at the hands of the Catholic nuns.
Glad that you enjoyed it! It looks like it’s being made into a film with Cillian Murphy as the father, and also starring Ciarán Hinds and Emily Watson. It might be the rare film that doesn’t have to leave anything out from the source material, haha.

Really late drop in, here. I was useless on this thread, and only made it through 16 books last year. Some of these tripped me up (Starting with The Passenger, actually. RIP Cormac). And then I went through some periods where I just couldn't pick up a book. Anyway, this was it:
  1. The Passenger - Cormac McCarthy
  2. Lark Ascending - Silas House
  3. The Town of Babylon - Alejandro Varela
  4. Mosquito Coast - Paul Thoreaux
  5. Brief History Seven Killings - Marlon James
  6. There There - Tommy Orange
  7. Trust - Hernan Diaz
  8. Tenth of December - George Saunders
  9. Stella Maris - Cormac McCarthy
  10. Rabbit Redux - John Updike
  11. The Guide - Peter Heller
  12. The River - Peter Heller
  13. The Gospel of the Hold Steady: How a Resurrection Really Feels
  14. Crook Manifesto - Colson Whitehead
  15. Luster - Raven Leilani
  16. Stay True - Hua Hsu

Book 2: Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh
book2.jpg

I enjoyed this atmospheric and at times creepy tale of a young woman suffering a troubled home life with her drunk father, pushing her way through her day job at the local young correctional facility full of bad boys. When a brash, beautiful new educator joins the facility and takes an interest in Eileen that nobody else seemingly ever has, our protagonist's world starts to spiral. Well written and crafted story, narrated 50 years after the events outlined took place, it did feel throughout like what it was, a debut novel but with a whole lot of promise. I'll have no hesitation reading more from this writer.
Just saw this had a movie release. I hope they do it justice, it definitely has potential to be a compelling feature.

Back