2023 Reading Challenge

I work from home, so lunchtime and the wind-down after work are when I do plenty of reading. I rarely read more than 20 minutes a sitting.

Also, and these aren’t necessarily good habits, but I usually make a goal to read ~10% of a book a day, which is doable if you pick shorter books and/or books you want to read. I’m also pretty unsentimental about dropping books if I’m not enjoying them; you can generally tell the difference between “slow going, but a good reading experience” and “just plain not for me.”

I also try to read in a pattern of one “serious” book, then two “fun” books; that’s a super subjective designation, but it ensures I’m reading for pleasure and enrichment in turn.

Sometimes I worry gamifying my reading ruins the in-the-moment joy, but I set my reading goal to 30 this year rather than 40, and I’m already at 32 🤷
I have a pattern too...I usually go fiction then non-fiction. The non-fiction is usually music related and the fiction has been everywhere from long and dense reads, maybe some classic lit, or fun lighter stuff.

As far as putting a book down and not finishing it, I used to do that more often...maybe my choices have been good lately so I've gotten through everything I've started for a couple years. Although this latest John Irving, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm at page 140 of 900 and I really don't know if I like it.

I have a pattern too...I usually go fiction then non-fiction. The non-fiction is usually music related and the fiction has been everywhere from long and dense reads, maybe some classic lit, or fun lighter stuff.

As far as putting a book down and not finishing it, I used to do that more often...maybe my choices have been good lately so I've gotten through everything I've started for a couple years. Although this latest John Irving, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm at page 140 of 900 and I really don't know if I like it.
I’ve made some lousy choices this summer/fall, most recently dropping Lessons in Chemistry after forty pages rather than hate-reading to the end (often if I really dislike a book I’ll grit my teeth to the end so I can say I gave it a full chance); it’s been energizing to admit maybe some things are just not for me.

I haven’t picked up any Irving in decades; I had two assigned in high school (Hotel Bew Hampshire, Owen Meany), and read a few for fun in the interim (Garp, Cider House, Widow); I think at the other end of those I got a solid feel for his vibe/schtick. The new stuff has struck me as more of the same, with less focus.

Book 20: Dawn, by Octavia Butler
View attachment 180261

My first Butler! Concerns a woman woken from suspended animation by aliens who abducted her on the eve of a world-annihilating nuclear war. The aliens wish to repopulate Earth with humans, in exchange for a sort of genetic partnership (which I think pans out more over the next few books). Much of the book consists of conversations and two-person scenes. This was an excellent read, though it petered out a little bit near the end for me as a lot of the other revived human characters felt a bit thinly drawn and reactively cruel.

Book 21: In Green's Jungles, by Gene Wolfe
View attachment 180262

Gene really starts cooking with this one, and throws a lot at us. Much like Blue's Waters before this, more focus is put on the person writing the story you're reading, and their present circumstances; the journeys through Green's Jungles are obfuscated and barely referenced. In classic Gene style we get a storytelling contest in which each teller is giving away more about themselves than actually telling a story.

Book 22: Drive your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead, by Olga Tokarczuk
View attachment 180263

I liked this okay; this was a book club selection, and while a lot of people in the group found the narrator funny, I thought she was something of an out-there caricature. Funny enough, I spoiled the end of this book via the "themes" section of its wikipedia entry (the "themes" section doesn't typically contain explicit plot elements; I don't think that's my fault) and knowing how things would pan out actually pushed me to go ahead and complete the story.

Book 23: The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon
View attachment 180264

This one's a DNF; I kept seeing it on the bookstore shelves and thought "hmm a thick fantasy novel sounds pretty fun," and I don't engage with a lot of contemporary work in the genre. I couldn't hang with it, though; there's just too much telling and not enough showing. With every description of action or piece of dialogue to propel the story forward, the author throws in tons of worldbuilding facts. To use a metaphor, you don't know which facts will be "on the test," so you find yourself getting caught up in "will I need to remember the quantity and names of rulers in this kingdom?" rather than "what will happen next?"

On top of that, the story just. Doesn't. Move. I got about a third of the way through and while I could explain the world to you, I couldn't really tell you what the story was. Lots of goodreads reviews parrot this criticism, but also praise the slow-burn romance. After 1/3 of this book (that's over 200 pages of investment), I can't tell you whom is supposed to fall in love with whom.

Book 24: Return to the Whorl, by Gene Wolfe
View attachment 180265

And with that I finish The Book of the Short Sun and Gene's twelve-book Solar Cycle. Was it an interesting, rewarding read? Yup! Was it surprisingly emotional for a book by an engineer who seems more focused on fucking with the reader than anything? Damn right! Do I fully understand it? Heck no!

The story finishes the saga of Horn, a man sent back to the Whorl (a generation ship) to retrieve his mentor and the government/religious leader Silk. Through the nature of Horn's journey, as well as the feeling of one going back to a home which has changed immensely, the story has this sadness which runs throughout; Wolfe nails his characters and their inner lives so well. After eleven previous books of Gene giving answers that generate questions and conclusions which imply we've only scratched the surface of the story, I'm happy to say Return to the Whorl has an actual, satisfying ending (while still remaining as elliptical as possible).

I'm very happy and satisfied to have reached the end of this cycle after ~16 months of going through what initially started as a New Sun reread. Now it's just a matter of time before I reread the whole cycle (as they say, one doesn't read Wolfe, they only reread).
I've been way lax in updating my list, so here come like eight capsule reviews:

Book 25: Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
Book of the summer by pure kismet, Morrison is an absolute powerhouse.

Book 26: Ice, by Anna Kavan
I have a lot of dreams where I'm urgently struggling to complete a goal or find someone and basically moving backwards from that goal. This book captured that specific type of dream fantastically. Big recommend.

Book 27: Tropic of Orange, by Karen Tei Yamashita
I don't know enough about NAFTA to fully understand what this author is trying to tell me about NAFTA, and they were too busy overnarrating to bring me into the loop.

Book 28: The Mist, by Stephen King
It's just like the movie, with a splash less nihilism and a dribble more adultery.

Book 29: How to Sell a Haunted House, by Grady Hendrix
It's hard to sustain suspense in horror fiction, especially as the nature of the Evil is exposed; Hendrix maintains balance for a good 80%.

Book 30: The Fraud, by Zadie Smith
If I'm not connecting with a Zadie Smith book it feels more like I've been left behind than I've been failed. Smith only left me in the dust a couple times; I'll have to sit on this one more but I don't know if it adds up to the sum of its parts.

Book 31: Misery, by Stephen King
I've only seen half the movie.

Book 32: Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham
Not enough triffids! Wyndham juggles three concerns: how rad it would be to see when others can't, how awful it'd be for the blind to expect help from the sighted, and how necessary it is to repopulate the world with sighted children. To wit: very of its time.

Book 33: The Futurlogical Congress, by Stansilaw Lem
Feels like a Philip K Dick parody, in the best way.

View attachment 187300

Initially this wasn’t the book I thought it was - what I thought was going to be a macro look at health issues in the music industry as actually a micro look based on the author’s struggles. If smashing the second half out in 2 days is a sign of success then it passed.
I enjoyed it. You realize how much the music (and entertainment as a whole) fetishizes and rewards artists who struggle with mental health and/or addiction issues.

Edit: I should have said - You realize how much the music industry (and entertainment as a whole) profits on the fetishization of artists who struggle with mental health and/or addiction issues.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. You realize how much the music (and entertainment as a whole) fetishizes and rewards artists who struggle with mental health and/or addiction issues.
I agree. I think this is part of my problem with a lot of books about music - I don’t really care about the stories about excess and drug taking.

I agree. I think this is part of my problem with a lot of books about music - I don’t really care about the stories about excess and drug taking.
Same with me. I tend to like nuts and bolts examinations, or endeavors into creative processes way more than the excess stories.
That being said, I feel Our Band Could Be Your Life did a pretty good job of satisfying most types of music readers.

Same with me. I tend to like nuts and bolts examinations, or endeavors into creative processes way more than the excess stories.
That being said, I feel Our Band Could Be Your Life did a pretty good job of satisfying most types of music readers.
I need to get a copy of this. It seems to be harder to get outside of the US.

Book 38

Star Wars: The High Republic - Tales of Light and Life by Various
20231115_203518.jpg

This anthology covers the spread of all three phases of The High Republic series, with Pase 3 officially kicking off this month. Familiar characters and most of the top talent involved with the initiative make for a great collection of stories. I picked away at this one slower than usual since I've been plowing through the past few years of Batman comics as well, but interspersing a story from this here and there to switch things up has been nice. Worthwhile if you're exploring The High Republic series, but probably little appeal otherwise.

Book 39

Solitudes Crowded With Loneliness by Bob Kaufman

20231116_205535.jpg

A re-read. This is an all-timer book of poetry for me, particularly the complete "ABOMUNIST MANIFESTO" section at the end - the first part of which has been heavily anthologized, but the whole suite is that much sweeter! Kaufman is definitely one of the most underrated poets of the San Francisco scene, but man did he make some beautiful and surreal poems! I picked up a copy of this the first time I visited City Lights Books but it got lost along my many moves many years ago. I saw it on my library's "recently ordered" list and put a hold on it so I'd get to be the first to read the library's copy!

Book 40

No Town Called We by Nikki Reimer
20231117_135016.jpg

I've been picking away at this one for a week or so - it's probably been the most challenging poetry book I've read in a few years (trying to get myself back on the horse - I think I've read more poetry books in the past 3 months than during each of the past three years!), but it's been worthwhile. Written between 2018 and 2022 it navigates the concurrent realities of the author's multiply disabled, middle-age arriving female-coded body and the social panic of living in a corporate/oil city during COVID and the unfolding climate crisis. Dense, but great and important work.

18. The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor. Fascinating to see her develop as a writer and a person through these. Totally see why she's so revered these days. Mostly pretty great, but the last 7-8 stories when she becomes really self-reflective and dark are incredible.

19. Persepolis Rising (Expanse #7) by James SA Corey. Sucked me back into the series are book 6 left me pretty cold and disinterested. This one was lots of fun and I'll probably zoom through the last two soon.

20. Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson. Been looking for ages on a fantasy series to fill the Song of Ice and Fire shaped niche in me. TBD if this is it, but I liked it, for all it's weirdness, and often dense and even impenetrable world and lore. I'll probably read at least the next few. Not sure if I'll make all ten yet.

21. The Ballad of the Sad Cafe and Other Stories by Carson McCullers. Was feeling more southern gothic and McCullers has been a blind spot for me. These were lovely and effective, if maybe not life-changing. Want to check out her novels.

22. Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. Read almost all of his works back in college, but not this one. Forgot how evocative and amazing his prose is. The immesity of this one really got to me. It's tragic, hilarious, alternately gross and horrific and profoundly hopeful. Maybe his best? One of my favorites I've read so far this year.

Have some scary stuff lined up for October, including my yearly Stephen King. looking forward to those vibes.
23. Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke and Other Misfortunes by Eric LaRocca - Had this recommended as a shocking, viral horror story, so decided to give this collection a shot. Unfortunately pretty terrible. Bad prose, corny execution.

24. It Came Frim the Closet: Essays by Various - An essay collection on queer readings of horror films by a number of writers. Fun and enlightening!

25. Bag of Bones by Stephen King - My yearly King read for the holiday season and sadly thought this one kinda sucked too. A cool vibe (haunted beach house in western Maine) but EXTREMELY dated and capital P problematic in more ways than one. And too long. Love the King but probably will take a break from him next year.

26. Capitalism Realism by Mark Fisher - A great, short look at the potential for alternatives to our current hellscape.

27. Faithful and Virtuous Night by Louise Glück - Read The Wild Iris earlier this year and enjoyed, so decided to read another since she recently passed away. Lovely, evocative poetry.

28. Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky - This was a fascinating, dence little read. Kind of hilarious, but also runs the gammit in terms of how you feel for this poor little loser. Will be reading more Dostoevsky soon.

Currently reading They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraquib, one of my favorite current writers. Think I will be closing out the year with Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita and some Mary Oliver poetry. Also need to pick an audiobook to enjoy on Spotify. TBD!

Currently reading They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraquib, one of my favorite current writers. Think I will be closing out the year with Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita

Couldn't agree more about Hanif - he's amazing!

And The Master and Margarita is one of my all-time favourite works of fiction.

Book 41

Death Metal by T Coles
20231120_205913.jpg

A pretty light read about a very heavy music! This is my first foray into 33 1/3's new GENRE series, and it was generally an enjoyable and informative experience. A lot of editing errors that would have been nice to see tidied up a bit more (typos not caught by spellchecker because they are still words, just the wrong ones, and an instance of having a paragraph repeated immediately after itself as the first half of the next paragraph) but I otherwise enjoyed the format. The writing wasn't great, but not absolutely terrible either. I imagine folks who are far deeper entrenched in the realms of death metal wouldn't get as much out of this (or would prefer to eviscerate it, as one reviewer on Goodreads seems to have done, with a review that seemed nearly as long as the book itself) but for a curious mostly neophyte I got a much better understanding of the genre's history and evolution.

I imagine that, just like the core 33 1/3 series this one will be a YMMV kind of deal throughout.

Readings since July...

I finished the brilliant Expanse series (Leviathan Falls, despite being a worthy ending, may also have been my least favorite of the series - but there still were some amazing sequences, like that crazy planet-followed-by-space battle scene). Still reading a ton of Bosch (and Lincoln Lawyer) detective-noir books by Connelly. And dabbled into some Stephen King with Carrie and The Shining.

Books #20-30:
IMG_0638.JPGIMG_0639.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

I also built myself a little shelving unit for books right onto this landing I have all around the basement room. The books I read come in and out as I pass them along or donate them when I'm done, but it was getting bad with them all stacked on that landing. This looks a lot cleaner.

IMG_0641.JPG

Readings since July...

I finished the brilliant Expanse series (Leviathan Falls, despite being a worthy ending, may also have been my least favorite of the series - but there still were some amazing sequences, like that crazy planet-followed-by-space battle scene). Still reading a ton of Bosch (and Lincoln Lawyer) detective-noir books by Connelly. And dabbled into some Stephen King with Carrie and The Shining.

Books #20-30:
View attachment 188346View attachment 188347View attachment 188348

I also built myself a little shelving unit for books right onto this landing I have all around the basement room. The books I read come in and out as I pass them along or donate them when I'm done, but it was getting bad with them all stacked on that landing. This looks a lot cleaner.

View attachment 188349
Oh amazing, I've been thinking of starting the Expanse series. I finished the TV show a while back and really enjoyed it.

Oh amazing, I've been thinking of starting the Expanse series. I finished the TV show a while back and really enjoyed it.

The series follows the books quite well, with some exceptions, but the books remained amazing page-turners despite me knowing the major points of the story. But then you get into completely new territory with books 7-8-9. Books 7 & 8, I particularly enjoyed.

Back