2023 Reading Challenge

Book 4: Children of Dune, by Frank Herbert
View attachment 167783

Hmm. Maybe I didn't engage with this book on the right level, but I found it dumb and boring. I actually quite liked Messiah previously, but the story here is very thin. A lot of hemming and hawing over the prospect of incest, and a plot by the villains to (checks notes) train wild tigers to attack anyone wearing a specific outfit, and then gifting that outfit to the Atreides twins. That's a Wil E. Coyote-ass plan.

Book 5: The Slynx, by Tatyana Tolstoya
View attachment 167784
The jacket describes this as Nabokov's Pale Fire by way of A Clockwork Orange, so of course I'm there. A semi-satirical post-apocalyptic novel, The Slynx concerns society after an event called The Blast. Mutations are common (called Consequences, they can be anything from a prehensile tail to claws to heat vision), and a number of people alive before The Blast mysteriously remain immortal (at least safe from old age and disease; murder and misadventure can still take you out). The protagonist, Benedikt, works for an odd, despotic ruler, who makes a room full of people copy books and put his name on them. Free thought and creative thinking are discouraged; rumor has it the mystical Slynx will find you, look at you, and you'll never be the same. After some time, Benedikt gets married and joins his father in-law in raiding homes for hidden books, which they steal and read for themselves. Weird, absurd stuff, great prose. Feels like a comment on Russian culture and history, of which I have minimal context.

Book 6: A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #2), by Becky Chambers
View attachment 167785
You may recall last year I read Chambers' Monk and Robot series and loved it a ton. I'd previously read Wayfarers #1, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, and found it pleasant but a bit lacking; some of the characters were squee/holds-up-spork so-random, and the main ensemble had a bit of Burger King Kids Club syndrome.

A friend recently told me they read the whole series and that it's worth it. They were right; Chambers hones in on the characters really well and does a good job of presenting a cozy story which eschews superficial action or conflict, while also providing a propulsive story and strong emotional stakes. At one point, two characters resolve to escape a situation and despite that being the obvious story path, the way it unfolded made my heart swell; it's a skilled writer who can take a foregone conclusion feel like an organic triumph.
I re-read the original Dune books when it was first announced Denis Villeneuve was making the first one. Could not make it through Children of Dune, but finished all the others.

Plus I need to use "Burger King Kids Club syndrome" more often

I actually finished a book! It's been slow going this year since some friends and I have been going at Ulysses and I've been reading several books at a time, which I don't normally do. But anyway!

1. Faith, Hope, and Carnage by Nick Cave and Sean O'Hagan. Basically a series of transcribed conversations between these two from the last couple years. Feels extremely profound and moving. I find Nick Cave endlessly fascinating and admirable as an artist, but even if you're not familiar, you'd probably get something out of this book.
2. Ulysses by James Joyce (!!!) - Cliche to say but this is really unlike anything I've ever read. Just mind-blowing in it's complexity. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes gross, sometimes fun, sometimes infuriating. Didn't always "enjoy" it in the traditional sense, but I pretty much always respected it, and got something out of it. Looking forward to reading again one day.

Time for something light now.

Book 4: Children of Dune, by Frank Herbert
View attachment 167783

Hmm. Maybe I didn't engage with this book on the right level, but I found it dumb and boring. I actually quite liked Messiah previously, but the story here is very thin. A lot of hemming and hawing over the prospect of incest, and a plot by the villains to (checks notes) train wild tigers to attack anyone wearing a specific outfit, and then gifting that outfit to the Atreides twins. That's a Wil E. Coyote-ass plan.

Book 5: The Slynx, by Tatyana Tolstoya
View attachment 167784
The jacket describes this as Nabokov's Pale Fire by way of A Clockwork Orange, so of course I'm there. A semi-satirical post-apocalyptic novel, The Slynx concerns society after an event called The Blast. Mutations are common (called Consequences, they can be anything from a prehensile tail to claws to heat vision), and a number of people alive before The Blast mysteriously remain immortal (at least safe from old age and disease; murder and misadventure can still take you out). The protagonist, Benedikt, works for an odd, despotic ruler, who makes a room full of people copy books and put his name on them. Free thought and creative thinking are discouraged; rumor has it the mystical Slynx will find you, look at you, and you'll never be the same. After some time, Benedikt gets married and joins his father in-law in raiding homes for hidden books, which they steal and read for themselves. Weird, absurd stuff, great prose. Feels like a comment on Russian culture and history, of which I have minimal context.

Book 6: A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #2), by Becky Chambers
View attachment 167785
You may recall last year I read Chambers' Monk and Robot series and loved it a ton. I'd previously read Wayfarers #1, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, and found it pleasant but a bit lacking; some of the characters were squee/holds-up-spork so-random, and the main ensemble had a bit of Burger King Kids Club syndrome.

A friend recently told me they read the whole series and that it's worth it. They were right; Chambers hones in on the characters really well and does a good job of presenting a cozy story which eschews superficial action or conflict, while also providing a propulsive story and strong emotional stakes. At one point, two characters resolve to escape a situation and despite that being the obvious story path, the way it unfolded made my heart swell; it's a skilled writer who can take a foregone conclusion feel like an organic triumph.
I remember Children being difficult to enjoy and not wanting to continue on past.

Book 5
Star Wars: The High Republic - Quest for the Hidden City by George Mann
20230221_112104.jpg

As with Phase 1, Phase 2 is telling different stories in different areas through the different levels of reading, but they are still ultimately connected. In this youth novel we explore another corner of the outer rim while catching a few familiar references to other characters and goings on of the High Republic era. Still consistently great stuff. I'm waiting on the paperback edition of the adult novel which to complete the first wave of Phase 2 - its due in about six weeks when the second wave titles start appearing as well.

Book 2: Our Band Could Be Your Life. Took me a few weeks to get through, but so worthwhile. I'd say I was only familiar with 1/2 the bands in the book and found it really eye opening. Whole new appreciation for Ian Mackaye - who was in the 1/2 that I wasn't familiar with - and the life he's led, and really the dedication of any of the bands in this book when you think of the years of touring they way they did, and it's toll on them.

Book 3: Here's Negan - Graphic Novel on the orgin of Negan in the Walking Dead. Didn't really gain any sympathy for him as a character in this. Just that he was a self-centered asshole before and after the Zombie event.

Book 5: The Sound Of Surprise by Whitney Balliett (Penguin, 1963)

This was a surprising treat. An instagram user posted this recently and commented on how negatively critical Balliett seemed to be, so it got my attention (usually these things just collate the positive) and I commented that I will add it to my list. Well, the instagram user messaged to say I could have it and ended up posting it to me, which was incredibly nice of him. I devoured it on my way to and from the office this week and found it to be a really interesting read. It essentially collates 46 written pieces on jazz that Balliettt (jazz critic at the New Yorker) wrote between 1954-1959, an incredible period for jazz. Not that you would know from reading this as there seems to be little that Balliett enjoyed other than early swing and Dixieland. Still, its a great read and interesting to see another perspective from the time period when the music flourished.

IMG_3280.JPG

Book 6: We Jazz Magazine Issue 06 - "Revelation" (We Jazz Helsinki, 2023)

The latest from the We Jazz Magazine series and its a blinder. The main cover article is a piece on Black Jazz Records and it also contains pieces on the artwork of Sun Ra, and a rather fantastic prologue to the Jazz Kissa photograph series that has been running for the past few issues.

IMG_3293.JPG

Book #7 Jordan Harper / Everybody Knows

I had the goal this year of reading 24 books and it feels like I will be able to do that. I usually hit dry patches where I cannot find anything to read or just cannot be bothered to pickup a book.

Also, highly recommend Ian Winwood / Bodies. Not a very happy look at how the music industry survives on grinding up its most integral component, the musician.
IMG_1567.jpg

February 2023

Book 6: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin

book1.jpg
This one was a lovely, easy read. Tons of pop culture references but largely drawn from the gaming industry colour the lives of a pair of young friends who meet in hospital and are brought together again by chance years later to make their first videogame. There's a 'will they, won't they?' element to the story of their relationship and I enjoyed it a lot.

Book 7: The Cutting Room - Louise Welsh
book2.jpg
Atmospheric mystery of an auctioneer hired for a house clearance who discovers ugly, dark secrets of the deceased former owner. 8MM in Glasgow, I enjoyed this one despite the difficult subject matter.

Book 8: Crossroads - Jonathan Franzen
book3.jpg
My third Franzen book and I have to say that I almost didn't get past the first chapter. Franzen does normal people and family drama really well, the only trouble was that it began almost too normal to the point of being uninteresting. I persevered and I'm pleased I did as it proved to be one of the more fulfilling reads of the year so far and painted a very complete vision of a family coping with their own issues, largely based around their Christian faith and struggling to maintain their belief amidst failing marriages and a soon to be ending Vietnam war as the backdrop.

Book 9: The Shooting Party - Anton Chekov
book4.jpg
An interesting little murder mystery with not too much mystery! Told as a story within a story, this tale of murder amongst a Russian aristocratic backdrop left little certainty over the culprit but was well written and enjoyable enough.

February 2023

View attachment 168314
This one was a lovely, easy read. Tons of pop culture references but largely drawn from the gaming industry colour the lives of a pair of young friends who meet in hospital and are brought together again by chance years later to make their first videogame. There's a 'will they, won't they?' element to the story of their relationship and I enjoyed it a lot.

View attachment 168315
Atmospheric mystery of an auctioneer hired for a house clearance who discovers ugly, dark secrets of the deceased former owner. 8MM in Glasgow, I enjoyed this one despite the difficult subject matter.

View attachment 168316
My third Franzen book and I have to say that I almost didn't get past the first chapter. Franzen does normal people and family drama really well, the only trouble was that it began almost too normal to the point of being uninteresting. I persevered and I'm pleased I did as it proved to be one of the more fulfilling reads of the year so far and painted a very complete vision of a family coping with their own issues, largely based around their Christian faith and struggling to maintain their belief amidst failing marriages and a soon to be ending Vietnam war as the backdrop.

View attachment 168317
An interesting little murder mystery with not too much mystery! Told as a story within a story, this tale of murder amongst a Russian aristocratic backdrop left little certainty over the culprit but was well written and enjoyable enough.
I got about three quarters through The Cutting Room. I struggle with fiction in general, which probably explains why I stopped. I should jump back in and finish it. Lots of recognisable Glasgow details in there, which was fun. Think there might be a sequel coming out soon.

I finished The Sopranos Sessions over the weekend and absolutely loved it. The episode by episode recaps were almost as good as doing a re-watch and then I loved the Chase interview...speaking of re-watches, I might need to watch it ONE MORE TIME.

On to book 3 of 12
This is only my second Murakami; Norwegian Wood being my first, which I've heard is a lot different than most of his other novels.

Anyway, I started this yesterday and am already fairly intrigued.

IMG_3472.JPG

I got about three quarters through The Cutting Room. I struggle with fiction in general, which probably explains why I stopped. I should jump back in and finish it. Lots of recognisable Glasgow details in there, which was fun. Think there might be a sequel coming out soon.
Yep, The Second Cut came out last year. I’ll definitely give that a go at some stage, Rilke was a likeable enough leading man, I’m interested to see how his life has gone in the years since this was set.

I finished The Sopranos Sessions over the weekend and absolutely loved it. The episode by episode recaps were almost as good as doing a re-watch and then I loved the Chase interview...speaking of re-watches, I might need to watch it ONE MORE TIME.

On to book 3 of 12
This is only my second Murakami; Norwegian Wood being my first, which I've heard is a lot different than most of his other novels.

Anyway, I started this yesterday and am already fairly intrigued.

View attachment 168356
I think was the first Murakami book that I read. Got me hooked for sure.

Book 7: The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley (HarperCollins, 2022)

This is the third book of its kind that Lucy Foley has written and its such an easy read. Took me a couple of days worth of commute reading to get through it and I was pretty hooked. A classic 'who done it' with plenty of twists and turns.

IMG_3570.JPG

February 2023

View attachment 168314

View attachment 168315

View attachment 168316

View attachment 168317
I'm reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow right now and I am really enjoying it. Probably my favorite of the year so far.

Book 4: Dave Grohl ~ The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music

Got this as a Christmas present. While I like the Foo Fighters, I do find their songs somewhat forgettable. Great live act, but they aren't a band that sticks with me.

That being said, this was a really enjoyable, quick read. Dave's enthusiasm for music pours over into his writing, and a lot of this book is written with the passion of being a fan and musician first. Touches on all parts of his career, without spending too much time on any given part. Came out of it with a greater appreciation for Dave as a person.

Book 4: Dave Grohl ~ The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music

Got this as a Christmas present. While I like the Foo Fighters, I do find their songs somewhat forgettable. Great live act, but they aren't a band that sticks with me.

That being said, this was a really enjoyable, quick read. Dave's enthusiasm for music pours over into his writing, and a lot of this book is written with the passion of being a fan and musician first. Touches on all parts of his career, without spending too much time on any given part. Came out of it with a greater appreciation for Dave as a person.

I've been a bit curious about this one. Haven't really paid attention to the Foo since album #2 (a/k/a the first one as an actual band) but I've always appreciated Dave.

I've been a bit curious about this one. Haven't really paid attention to the Foo since album #2 (a/k/a the first one as an actual band) but I've always appreciated Dave.
It's really good. It is a fan book written for fans. It is very enthusiastic. It never comes off as aww shucks, but it's very much AND THEN I MET THIS HERO!!!!

Book 7
E6AD89B8-FB2B-427A-8FC0-87EEF8F3590C.jpeg
33 1/3: Unknown Pleasures by Chris Ott

This one took me a while to get through, more because of my insistence to listen to the album while I read it. I haven’t been in a very Joy Division frame of mind over the time I read it which put me off of reading it. I did really enjoy it though. Enjoyed the other music mentioned in it. Didn’t really realize that they were contemporaries of and had toured with The Cure. Their story is very interesting and Curtis’s very tragic. Ott is a writer I was unfamiliar with, but enjoyed.

Back