2023 Reading Challenge

The only SW book I have ready is Splinter way back in the last century. Oh and the space zombies one. I like a good zombie book.

I feel like I must have read at least one or two way back in the 90s but can't recall anything specific, so obviously if I did they didn't leave a huge impression. Otherwise, it's a new realm for me. I started reading the comics again when Marvel regained the franchise and started putting out canon stories with top-notch writers I really liked - but I dipped into these ones mostly thanks to @DJSJ over in the Star Wars thread and am very glad I did.

There is a space zombie Star Wars book?
Death Troopers - a prison barge stumbles across a "missing" Imperial Star Destroyer, but it is far from empty.

Unpopular opinion time: Death Troopers is fine but an unfulfilling Star Wars read as it really could be any horror sci fi book if you just change stormtroopers to space marines or whatever.

The best Star Wars book(s) involving derelict spaceships and sci fi mystery (and some of the best SW books period) is Timothy Zahns Survivors Quest, and Outbound Flight. Ever since Heir to the Empire in '91 Zahn had been placing tibits of information about The Outbound Flight Project, a massive colonization project from the Republic crewed with hundreds of colonists and jedi supervisors sent into the Unknown Regions for the purpose of exploration, discovery, colonization and to map out the most unknown territory in the galaxy. The ship lost contact with the republic shortly after entering the territory.

In 2004 he finally wrote Survivors Quest, in which the Outbound Flight is discovered again, destroyed by blaster fire but largely intact. Luke and Mara Skywalker take it upon themselves to investigate, when they discover that some of the crew is somehow still alive.... (and thats all I'll say to avoid spoilers, its really damn good but even after finishing leaves so many questions unanswered, which is where the next book comes in).

2 years later he wrote Outbound Flight, taking place 49 years prior, shortly after The Phantom Menace. You see the establishment and approval of the project, all the hands that went into shaping it, and eventually what happened. Features the Chriss Ascendency, Palpatine, cameos from Obi Wan and Anakin, and the only appearance of Jedi Master Jorus C'Baoth, whose clone plays a prominent role in the original Thrawn Trilogy. This one's in my top 5 SW novels of all time as not to be missed. The more Zahn books you've read beforehand the greater the payoff is.

That's my recomendation for the day

As a kid of the 90s I was squarely in the Kevin J Anderson / Michael A Stackpole era of Star Wars novels. Every now and then I've flirted with revisiting them, but have a feeling I'd be underwhelmed. Maybe one day I'll dip a toe into the current era.

As a kid of the 90s I was squarely in the Kevin J Anderson / Michael A Stackpole era of Star Wars novels. Every now and then I've flirted with revisiting them, but have a feeling I'd be underwhelmed. Maybe one day I'll dip a toe into the current era.
I've read most of the books in the above pictures in the last 5-6 years, and other than the Jedi Academy Trilogy (which is just important plot-wise) all of the above books are good, with stuff like the X-Wing series and anything Zahn writes being some of the high points of Star Wars as a multimedia franchise (imo). I've also read my fair share of bad books during that time (stuff like Children of the Jedi and The Crystal Star come to mind), but have since dropped all those off in those little community libraries you see on the street. I'd go to bat for any of the books I've kept.

But if Legends continuity doesn't interest you as much now that it's decanonized I'd 100% recomend jumping into The High Republic. It's quite easily the best Star Wars literature to come out of the new canon, not even close really.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the Thrawn books but haven't read 'em yet, myself.
The Heir to the Empire trilogy is very new-reader friendly and known as a great jumping on point for a reason. Gave them to my step-dad a couple christmas's ago and as avid Star Wars fan since '77, but someone whos consumed zero material outside of the films, he's head over heels for them. Started the expanded universe really; they're very cinematic books.

Also Del-Rey's been reprinting a lot of Legends classics in the "Essential Legends" series in a larger format with better paper quality and some really gorgeous new covers, and they started with the HTTE trilogy. Definitely recommended.
9780593499580_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

Last edited:
Book 1: Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
IMG_1612.jpg

Great Expectations? Great book!

Despite his cultural ubiquity, I've never really read any Dickens prior to this. I've been meaning to, and decided to go with this, which is on the shorter end (for Dickens). I generally knew the plot due to exposure from Wishbone, but had a cracking time reading it nonetheless. Don't know what to say; guy can write. I want to pick up a few more Dickens this year; my goal is two books a month, and based on my current pace I should be able to devote a month or two to a single book.

I'm open to anyone's Dickens recommends!

Book 2: Swag, by Elmore Leonard
(apologies for the downright awful cover)
IMG_1613.jpg

Every now and then I pick up some Leonard; he writes snappy dialogue and driving plots. I really gobbled this one down, too; I went to Florida last week and basically finished this on the flight there.

Elevator pitch: a used-car salesman teams up with a petty crook after catching him trying to steal a car from the lot. The salesman develops a dozen rules for armed robbery, mostly revolving around being very careful with your money/company, as well as only robbing sure things and walking away the moment things seem dicey. (This reminds me of an episode of the superlative Criminal podcast, in which a man goes on a bank robbery spree, just to see if he can; he goes in unarmed, gives the clerk a note asking for the cash drawer, and just walks away with or without the money).

Lo and behold, the two criminals turn against one another. Ironically, it's the author of the rules who begins throwing them out the window, leading to tensions. Lots of Leonard's novels have been made into movies, and this could be a pretty fun one.

Book 3: Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
IMG_1614.jpg

Another goal of mine this year is to reread a few favorites. Oddly enough, my goodreads rating from initially reading this ~10 years ago was three stars. It's remained in my mind since, however, so I read it over the rest of my Florida trip.

I love Nabokov; he has such a way with words that just bowls me over. Pnin especially is a witty story, focusing on a middle-aged Russian professor trying to adjust to life in America. He's the subject of derision from his peers and is portrayed by the unnamed narrator as a bumbling, ineffectual fool. However, he's also deceptively graceful and sweet.

On the heels of this I ordered The Defense; I realize I've only read four Nabokovs, though I've read all of them twice now.

January 2023, Books #1-5

Read Bosch #7 over the holiday break and then started devouring The Expanse. Seriously, this is it when it comes to epic popular Sci-Fi adventure. I'm already obviously familiar with the series, but it's so great revisiting the source material. The world building, the inventiveness, the characters, it has it all. I'm currently on Nemesis Games. Thinking I should take a pause after that one just to let it simmer and make the fun last longer.

IMG_3375.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG

Last edited:
Book 1: Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
View attachment 165534

Great Expectations? Great book!

Despite his cultural ubiquity, I've never really read any Dickens prior to this. I've been meaning to, and decided to go with this, which is on the shorter end (for Dickens). I generally knew the plot due to exposure from Wishbone, but had a cracking time reading it nonetheless. Don't know what to say; guy can write. I want to pick up a few more Dickens this year; my goal is two books a month, and based on my current pace I should be able to devote a month or two to a single book.

I'm open to anyone's Dickens recommends!

Book 2: Swag, by Elmore Leonard
(apologies for the downright awful cover)
View attachment 165535

Every now and then I pick up some Leonard; he writes snappy dialogue and driving plots. I really gobbled this one down, too; I went to Florida last week and basically finished this on the flight there.

Elevator pitch: a used-car salesman teams up with a petty crook after catching him trying to steal a car from the lot. The salesman develops a dozen rules for armed robbery, mostly revolving around being very careful with your money/company, as well as only robbing sure things and walking away the moment things seem dicey. (This reminds me of an episode of the superlative Criminal podcast, in which a man goes on a bank robbery spree, just to see if he can; he goes in unarmed, gives the clerk a note asking for the cash drawer, and just walks away with or without the money).

Lo and behold, the two criminals turn against one another. Ironically, it's the author of the rules who begins throwing them out the window, leading to tensions. Lots of Leonard's novels have been made into movies, and this could be a pretty fun one.

Book 3: Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
View attachment 165536

Another goal of mine this year is to reread a few favorites. Oddly enough, my goodreads rating from initially reading this ~10 years ago was three stars. It's remained in my mind since, however, so I read it over the rest of my Florida trip.

I love Nabokov; he has such a way with words that just bowls me over. Pnin especially is a witty story, focusing on a middle-aged Russian professor trying to adjust to life in America. He's the subject of derision from his peers and is portrayed by the unnamed narrator as a bumbling, ineffectual fool. However, he's also deceptively graceful and sweet.

On the heels of this I ordered The Defense; I realize I've only read four Nabokovs, though I've read all of them twice now.
I need to read more Leonard. I read quite a few when the Get Shorty sequel came out. Sadly I really cannot remember what I have read and not read. I dislike mysteries but love a good crime novel.

If you haven't read them, in a similar vein are Richard Stark's "Parker" novels. Wonderfully pulp crime novels of criminals getting revenge on each other.

January 2023, Books #1-5

Read Bosch #7 over the holiday break and then started devouring The Expanse. Seriously, this is it when it comes to epic popular Sci-Fi adventure. I'm already obviously familiar with the series, but it's so great revisiting the source material. The world building, the inventiveness, the characters, it has it all. I'm currently on Nemesis Games. Thinking I should take a pause after that one just to let it simmer and make the fun last longer.

View attachment 165538
View attachment 165539
View attachment 165541
View attachment 165542
View attachment 165543
Loved the books and re-watching the TV series right now.

I also recommend the novellas/short stories as they fill in some gaps and backstory. They are all collected in Memory's Legion. The wiki page indicates where the novellas fall in relation to the novels

Loved the books and re-watching the TV series right now.

I also recommend the novellas/short stories as they fill in some gaps and backstory. They are all collected in Memory's Legion. The wiki page indicates where the novellas fall in relation to the novels

Oh, ok! I'll pick that one up next and catch-up on the backstories I missed. Then I can read them when they come up in the timeline.

January 2023

Book 1: Ripley's Game - Patricia Highsmith
book1.jpg
Not quite a tradition yet but, for the second year running I started my reading year with the next (this is the third) in the Ripley series. I enjoyed this a whole lot, indeed much more than the second in the series that was something of a let down following the classic first title. This was a welcome return to Ripley at his Machiavellian best albeit, he only really features for the latter two thirds of the novel. Highsmith's customary suspense is used to great effect in this one and she manages to once again make us fall for people that are at best flawed, at worst psychotic criminals.

Book 2: Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh
book2.jpg
I enjoyed this atmospheric and at times creepy tale of a young woman suffering a troubled home life with her drunk father, pushing her way through her day job at the local young correctional facility full of bad boys. When a brash, beautiful new educator joins the facility and takes an interest in Eileen that nobody else seemingly ever has, our protagonist's world starts to spiral. Well written and crafted story, narrated 50 years after the events outlined took place, it did feel throughout like what it was, a debut novel but with a whole lot of promise. I'll have no hesitation reading more from this writer.

Book 3: Booth - Karen Joy Fowler
book3.jpg
This may very well have been one of the best books I think I've ever read. I really, really enjoyed it. It's the story of a period in history that led up to and included the assassination of Lincoln. Scattered with quotes from Abe's speeches, this history is pieced together through the biographies of the family of his assassin, John Wilkes Booth. It reminded me stylistically of those other historical fiction novels by Hilary Mantel, the way rather extraordinary occurrences are delivered with a deadpan matter-of-factness and how the telling of really important historical figures are told by the secondary and tertiary people around them. The Booths were a really fascinating family that will sadly be remembered by most people for containing a Presidential assassin. This book paints a truly three-dimensional portrait of them: Lincoln, slavery, emancipation and the civil war were all just things that happened around them. Really great stuff, highly recommended.

Book 4: The Shards - Bret Easton Ellis
book4.jpg
I rarely buy books on release, content to wait for the price to drop but, Bret Easton Ellis has consistently been one of my favourite writers since my discovery of him in my teens, and this is his first novel in 13 years so I had to splurge.
An autofiction depicting a young Bret growing up in early '80s L.A. where both a serial killer and home-invading, pet-killing cult has infiltrated his and his friends lives, this book never failed to entertain. It delivered what Ellis does best: affluent, over-sexed, over-drugged youth with their teen angst and dramas plus all the fun of a thriller genre to boot. At ~700pp it could have done with some tighter editing at times, there's several instances of repetition as the story unfolds but, it's Bret, and I'm still finding myself a bit of a fanboy even in my late 40s and it's really made me want to reread his past novels again too because my memory of them has faded so much over the years.

Book 5: L.A. Woman - Eve Babitz
book5.jpg
This was a lot of fun. Tales of women, young and old, who don't want to conform to the norms of their respective eras and opt to be girls behaving badly. What little I know about Babitz, her lead in this, Sophie, appears to draw heavily on her own life growing up as artist and groupie in L.A. referencing her work as an album sleeve photographer and her time with Jim Morrison.

January 2023

Book 1: Ripley's Game - Patricia Highsmith
View attachment 165712
Not quite a tradition yet but, for the second year running I started my reading year with the next (this is the third) in the Ripley series. I enjoyed this a whole lot, indeed much more than the second in the series that was something of a let down following the classic first title. This was a welcome return to Ripley at his Machiavellian best albeit, he only really features for the latter two thirds of the novel. Highsmith's customary suspense is used to great effect in this one and she manages to once again make us fall for people that are at best flawed, at worst psychotic criminals.

Book 2: Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh
View attachment 165713
I enjoyed this atmospheric and at times creepy tale of a young woman suffering a troubled home life with her drunk father, pushing her way through her day job at the local young correctional facility full of bad boys. When a brash, beautiful new educator joins the facility and takes an interest in Eileen that nobody else seemingly ever has, our protagonist's world starts to spiral. Well written and crafted story, narrated 50 years after the events outlined took place, it did feel throughout like what it was, a debut novel but with a whole lot of promise. I'll have no hesitation reading more from this writer.

Book 3: Booth - Karen Joy Fowler
View attachment 165714
This may very well have been one of the best books I think I've ever read. I really, really enjoyed it. It's the story of a period in history that led up to and included the assassination of Lincoln. Scattered with quotes from Abe's speeches, this history is pieced together through the biographies of the family of his assassin, John Wilkes Booth. It reminded me stylistically of those other historical fiction novels by Hilary Mantel, the way rather extraordinary occurrences are delivered with a deadpan matter-of-factness and how the telling of really important historical figures are told by the secondary and tertiary people around them. The Booths were a really fascinating family that will sadly be remembered by most people for containing a Presidential assassin. This book paints a truly three-dimensional portrait of them: Lincoln, slavery, emancipation and the civil war were all just things that happened around them. Really great stuff, highly recommended.

Book 4: The Shards - Bret Easton Ellis
View attachment 165715
I rarely buy books on release, content to wait for the price to drop but, Bret Easton Ellis has consistently been one of my favourite writers since my discovery of him in my teens, and this is his first novel in 13 years so I had to splurge.
An autofiction depicting a young Bret growing up in early '80s L.A. where both a serial killer and home-invading, pet-killing cult has infiltrated his and his friends lives, this book never failed to entertain. It delivered what Ellis does best: affluent, over-sexed, over-drugged youth with their teen angst and dramas plus all the fun of a thriller genre to boot. At ~700pp it could have done with some tighter editing at times, there's several instances of repetition as the story unfolds but, it's Bret, and I'm still finding myself a bit of a fanboy even in my late 40s and it's really made me want to reread his past novels again too because my memory of them has faded so much over the years.

Book 5: L.A. Woman - Eve Babitz
View attachment 165716
This was a lot of fun. Tales of women, young and old, who don't want to conform to the norms of their respective eras and opt to be girls behaving badly. What little I know about Babitz, her lead in this, Sophie, appears to draw heavily on her own life growing up as artist and groupie in L.A. referencing her work as an album sleeve photographer and her time with Jim Morrison.
I strongly recommend anything by Moshfegh; Lapvona was one of my favorites of last year, and My Year of Rest and Relaxation is maybe the great 9/11 novel.

I only heard about the new Ellis yesterday! I’m surprised it’s getting such strong response after a decade of his right-leaning, trollish crankism. I stopped listening to his podcast because I got tired of hearing how hard it is to be a white man these days. I might have to read Shards out of completism, however; I’ve read everything up to this (I went to college in socal, and his writing was a balm amidst the culture shock), and this has shades of Lunar Park, which I thought was silly in a great way.

I strongly recommend anything by Moshfegh; Lapvona was one of my favorites of last year, and My Year of Rest and Relaxation is maybe the great 9/11 novel.

I only heard about the new Ellis yesterday! I’m surprised it’s getting such strong response after a decade of his right-leaning, trollish crankism. I stopped listening to his podcast because I got tired of hearing how hard it is to be a white man these days. I might have to read Shards out of completism, however; I’ve read everything up to this (I went to college in socal, and his writing was a balm amidst the culture shock), and this has shades of Lunar Park, which I thought was silly in a great way.
Eileen was the last thing I hadn't read by her, and I finished back in December. She has to be one of my favorite working writers. My Year of Rest and Relaxation is superb and my favorite of her's so far too. Her short story collection is also great.

Back