2022 Reading Challenge

Book 18

Fool's Gold: The Life and Legacy of Vancouver's Official Town Fool by Jesse Donaldson
20220709_195800.jpg

This was an absolutely wonderful read!

I am a huge fan of (and have been an instigator and participant in) public foolishness and a solid portion of my personal experiences engaging in public foolery have been in Vancouver, which made it all the more shocking to me that I'd never heard of Joachim Foikis or known Vancouver had an Official Town Fool for a time. Thanks to Jesse Donaldson, my favourite historian and former downstairs neighbour, that has changed. This book is a breezy easy read and presented in a fashion that suits its tragicomic subject quite well. Jesse writes with a goodly amount of wit, charm and humour but never to an overpowering degree - while personal history is why I started reading his work, his work itself is the reason I will always pick something up with his name on it!

This is volume two in Anvil Press's 49.2: Tales from the Off-Beat series, "dedicated to celebrating the eccentric and unusual parts of Vancouver’s history," all three releases from which, so far, have featured Jesse's work (as the sole author for the first two and a co-author for the most recent.)

Book 8: All The Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of the Wire by Jonathan Abrams

Great oral history of a great show. Quick read, was able to read 330 pages in less than 2 days. Highly recommended if you like the show and if you haven't seen the Wire, why not?
View attachment 145510

I was so glad to discover this at my local library when the new branch opened. A very great read that came with a lot of exciting discoveries and anecdotes I hadn't previously been familiar with. A great companion to the best TV show ever! It also led to me purchasing a handful of other Wire and Wire-adjacent books. One of which should be finding its way into my posts here before too long - it got set down for awhile due to a combination of less reading time and some other things I wanted to blast through first.

Book 20

Nevertheless: Walking Poems by Gillian Jerome
20220711_215017.jpg

The "walking poems" element and Vancouver local caught my attention at the library and I've generally been pretty keen on the majority of books I've read from Nightwood Editions, ranging in my enjoyment from pretty good to quite solid. This one fell mostly into the pretty good category. Some of the poems in here I loved while the majority were poems that had brilliant moments but just didn't do as much for me overall as I'd hoped.

No. 6 was The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep which was the first book in a long time that I recommended to my wife. Almost makes me want to read some Dickens, almost. After that I read Constance by Matthew FItzsimmons - was kind of like DOA and Blade Runner had a baby. Who killed me with clones. No 8. was Billy Summers by Stephen King, a decent Crime yarn about a last hit gone bad. Loved the hints at
The Shining

Last edited:
Currently reading number 9- Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel. So Speculative fiction is just super soft Sci Fi, right? Anyhow, very lyrical, probably the best written book I've read this year, voice wise (68% through, so you know it has lots of room to fuck up the best written overall - which it is so far)

Book 17: A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders (and Chekov and Turgenev and Tolstoy and Gogol)
IMG_1386.jpg
I just finished a writing class, so picking this one up was a great move for me. For context: the author George Saunders, like many authors, is also a writing/lit teacher. One of his classes focuses on Russian short fiction. In this book he collects seven short stories, following each with lengthy commentary on what about the story he teaches his students, what value he sees in the stories and how he applies those lessons to his own writing.

I have limited experience with Russian fiction, but I've enjoyed what I've engaged with; Nabokov came a bit later than those collected here, but I've always enjoyed his mastery of prose and his version (at least I think it is) of what Saunders identifies in a Gogol story as "skaz," a storytelling technique of using dialect and slang in narration to take what seems like third-person omniscient narration and get the reader to question who actually is telling the story. As Saunders puts it, "the effect is that we start looking askance at the narrator ('Who is this guy?') and distrusting his narration." You start to notice that the narrator focuses on specific aspects of the story, that certain details seem more interesting than details you yourself would focus on. It lends this air of absurdity to the stories, as well as character.

After reading this one, I really want to pick up some similar books; Saunders does have the benefit of a very conversational voice while engaging in literary analysis, but I'd love to see other works broken down in a variety of perspectives.

Book 18: When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
IMG_1385.jpg

This was a book club read, and I always feel a pang of guilt when I have problems with a book someone else picked, but...I have problems with this book.

The premise is that in the (unspecified) near-future, America has become a religious state (though this isn't quite shaded in, and the author overuses the nefarious "they" when explaining historical events; obviously some religious dogma has been codified as law and there is room in the halls of government for religious leaders, but it's also made obvious some people openly and comfortably hold other beliefs and some behaviors that are prohibited by religion appear to be permissible by law). Furthermore, for...budgetary reasons...criminals are no longer incarcerated (except they are; for a month you're kept in a prison and your actions are televised for all to see, though this never comes up after the MC is released from said prison), and rather their skin is dyed, different colors depending on the nature of your crimes, and then they're let out into the world to be...well, to be treated like shit and die (presumably, as the author hits the ejector seat when it comes to exploring actual daily life as a "chromed").

The story itself follows a woman who has an affair with her pastor, becomes pregnant, and chooses to have an abortion. She's immediately caught, arrested, and dyed red; all murderers are colored as such, and as Roe has been overturned (this book was written in 2011, and I'd say living in the predicted dystopia does the fictional one few favors). If you've noticed this falls somewhere between The Handmaid's Tale and The Scarlet Letter, you're spot-on; the author even invites comparisons to the latter with such subtle moves as naming the main character Hannah Payne.

I'd sum up my issue with the book being its lack of full thought in fleshing out the story as well as its disinterest in the thematic questions it raises; if the author had focused on one, it may have been easy to overlook the shortcomings of the other. For example, after a brief stint in a religious halfway house (where, as is the case across the book, characters are either full-on monstrous religious zealots or sincerely humane atheists (I'm agnostic, but broad-brush painting of the religious world gets under my skin)), Hannah is cast out into the world to fend for herself. Her first thought is to track down a friend from the halfway house who left earlier, but she forgot to hang onto that friend's phone number. So she goes to her sister's house; she knows her brother-in-law disapproves of her, but she knows he'll be at work, so she risks going. Five minutes after reuniting with her sister, the bil bursts in. Then and only then Hannah remembers: every criminal is implanted with a tracking chip and anyone can just google her location. The bil kicks Hannah out, and then and only then does Hannah realize she can just google her friend from the halfway house. The tracker wasn't there when Hannah needed to initially find her friend; it's there because the author needed a reason to get the brother in-law in the door at that moment to cause conflict in the story.

Now the tracker brings up some good philosophic points: what would that be like, to have zero privacy? To be in a world where anyone who disapproves of your crime could look you up, find you, and hurt you? Where people didn't care the circumstances of your crime, and consider you no better or worse than anyone else branded the same as you. Gee, isn't that similar to the present-day sex offender registry, which doesn't differentiate between a serial predatory child molester and someone who had consensual sex with their 16 year-old partner when they themselves were barely 18? And doesn't the broad categorization of crimes into color-codes mean there would be striation within the criminal community (both between colors, and within them), internal prejudice and bias within a group our own prejudices and biases cause us outsiders to consider monolithic? Gee, that would be an interesting critique/investigation of the present prison/justice system, as well as our own held biases. The author mentions communities and ghettos of "chromed" people trying to get by, and while it raises questions and ideas for the reader, the book rejects them in favor of a kidnapping/roadtrip as Hannah is carted off to Canada, but not before hooking up with her pastor one more time.

Anyway, that's my rant; I'm trying to get the bile out before we meet to discuss it. My book club is pretty evenhanded about what we read, and it takes a true piece of garbage for us all to say "this is garbage." I don't want to harsh anyone's mellow if they found genuine enjoyment in it, or appreciated the thematic content it's stolen from other, better books.

Book 19: Lapvona by Otessa Moshfegh
IMG_1383.jpg

I never thought I'd call an Otessa Moshfegh book a "palate cleanser," but after When She Woke, I'd go so far as to do so here. I've read her collection Homesick for Another World and the novel My Year of Rest and Relaxation, so I knew to expect dark humor, existential despair, and lots of weird bodily functions.

Lapvona is set in a medieval eastern european village, and focuses on Marek, the son of a shepherd. After a shocking tragedy, Marek's father trades him to the lord/governer of the town, Viliam. Through Marek's misadventures, we learn more about the dynamics of the town, and how religion, nature, life, death, magic, and disease all intermingle in such a tiny society.

The story is pretty deliberately told like a fable, and I really enjoyed how it unfolded. Moshfegh would focus on a character, fleshing out their inner life, their superstitions and beliefs, and how they navigate (or help create) such a harsh and cruel world. The introduction of each new character has the effect of adjusting how you felt about the previously-introduced ones, and the contrasts between them all really help explore how a person develops their own personal religion, and what external influences can internally upheave such dogmas.

After reading When She Woke, where the main character is religious by default and goes through an intense spiritual trial without really examining where her beliefs came from (the main internal conflict is "I'm trying to be good, but people are treating me like I'm bad"), it was actually refreshing to read a story about a disfigured shepherd's son who believes being whipped by his father will bring him closer to God.

Overall funny and tragic; unless you've been previously put off by Moshfegh's stories, I'd give it a recommend.

Last edited:
Book 19: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (Penguin Publishing, 2003)

I decided to dip into another Murakami after really enjoying The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Killing Commendatore. Again, it was a really enjoyable read (despite some of the more strange bits) and quite unlike his other ones. This edition has a write-up/interview where Murakami explains that the book was his challenge to write a 'straight ahead' novel. Ironically it became his most successful.

IMG_2275 2.JPG

I've fallen off REAL HARD since Q1 of this year. Do any of the rest of you find that your reading habits shift with the seasons?

I feel like I encounter some degree of seasonal shift, but haven't really tracked it. But I definitely notice the impact of different life events. I'm 2 weeks shy of ending a 2 month project that sees me driving for 6-8 hours a day and I definitely read less lately. Beside the obvious not reading while driving, my brain just feels more fried when I get home than after a standard day in the warehouse.

I have absolutely fallen behind on my updates for this thread and honestly don't even remember where I left off. I've kept up with my reading, though. I've also kept a horrible list on my phone's notes app, so I figure I'll just post that for now and try to update more as I keep going.

4 of the last 5 books I've read were for an African lit class I'm taking for summer term and I highly recommend We Need New Names and Half of a Yellow Sun. It's embarrassing to say but I knew very, very little about African culture prior to this class. I didn't even know Nigeria had a civil war, or that Zimbabwe's government is corrupt af. Both were super interesting, eye opening reads.

Screenshot_20220721-201427.png

Book 21

The 33 1/3 B-Sides edited by Will Stockton & D. Gilson
20220723_153454.jpg

A great music writing mixtape from the fine folks at 33 1/3, I've been picking through this one for a few months. An excellent mix of albums that were familiar and unfamiliar to me, and a great opportunity to sample different writers who have contributed to the series. I now have a bunch of new albums I want to check out, and some 33 1/3 books for albums I don't know or don't like that I'm more excited to read due to the essays contributed here by their writers. The essays contained within average 3-4 pages, so this is a perfect book to have around for short bursts of reading and is very suitable for non-linear reading as well.

86260D9D-3235-4D2D-92E4-FA493DC30B8B.jpeg

Tracey Thorn from Everything But the Girl writing about Lindy Morrison of the Go-Betweens.

This came out just as I was moving to Oz, and Lindy in an advert over here. Not really listened to both bands, but this is an easy read about friendship, and does a good job of bringing Morrison back into the story of the Go-Betweens.

So...

Book 9: The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

I read this after We and forgot to update, oh well. It's definitely a book that made me think and for better or worse reminded me a lot of the books I read for college.

Book 10: Antipodes by Holly Goddard Jones

A modern collection of Southern small stories, I thought this was a nice reflection of day to day life and found most of the characters pretty believable. Also the first novel I've read that's post Covid, so there's that.
20220726_195006.jpg

I am makin my way through War and Peace, approaching halfway done. I went a few days without reading at all, but when I do have time I am really engrossed.

That being said, I'll need something lighter for my next book. And this....
Book 8: All The Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of the Wire by Jonathan Abrams

Great oral history of a great show. Quick read, was able to read 330 pages in less than 2 days. Highly recommended if you like the show and if you haven't seen the Wire, why not?
View attachment 145510

...looks like the perfect thing to grab for my next book.

Book 11: The Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam

An excellent look (Bill Simmons says it's his favorite sports book of all time) at the Portland Trail Blazers in the 79-80 season, a few years after winning it all and the season after Bill Walton left. Incorporated into that is deep character studies and analysis of where the game is at that time, including racial and financial issues. The NBA was right on the cusp of the Magic/Bird rejuvenation (the season highlighted is their rookie year) that led the league to where it is today.

20220730_114318.jpg

Back