2022 Reading Challenge

Book 24 - Axiom's End - Lindsay Ellis
1655561777301.png
I started this one waaaay back in January and it took me until now to finish. That wasn't really the book's fault, I tend to prefer character-driven stories and this one was a lot of plot so I started to get a little bored. It started to pick up in the middle when character development was happening, but it kind of lost me at the end. It kind of read a lot like Hank Green's books so if you like those you could probably also get into this. I own the second book as well but I'm not sure yet if I want to read it or pass them both along to someone who will get more out of them.

Though they get bonus points for their covers, I think this art style is cool and unique among book covers I've seen lately.

Book 25 - Detransition, Baby - Torrey Peters
1655562437072.png
On the other hand, this one was more of a character study about these three people who are trying to see if they can make a family. This one was pretty open-ended and none of the characters were super likable but I enjoyed it. I switched to the audiobook partway through for a bit and the narrator was good as well.

I keep looking at War and Peace sitting on my coffee table...I did manage to crack it open and read page one. It's tough to dive into this one. It's not like it's my first Tolstoy, but I can't seem to pick it up with purpose yet.

I keep looking at War and Peace sitting on my coffee table...I did manage to crack it open and read page one. It's tough to dive into this one. It's not like it's my first Tolstoy, but I can't seem to pick it up with purpose yet.
Finished it today.

12. 20220622_151540.jpg

Took me about 2.5 months. I thought it was great, though I will say I prefer Anna Karenina, I think. The segments of philosophy and the portions of war maneuvering get to be kind of a slog, but the main stories portions with Pierre, Natasha, Andrei, etc are rapturously good. I probably won't touch this one again for a while, if ever, while I'm already wanting to read AK again. Glad I did it though!

I've spent the last month finally getting around to several books that have been on my reading list for as long as 3 decades which I just never got around to.

Book 27: Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis

amis.jpg
I enjoyed this. Definitely dated as all hell but still razor sharp wit at times and the jammy life of academia and lust that Jim leads frequently brought a smile to my face as it reminded me all too often of a few people who've been in and out of my life. It's not all light, mind. The subplot of a lead character with a suicidal (albeit probably not with full intent), history keeps the novel grounded.

Book 28: Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs

burroughs.jpg
Probably one that is on every sixth former's reading list passed me by at the time and that's probably a shame as I suspect I would have found more in it at that age than I did now. Although I finished it and read quite a lot of the supplementary material at the end, my continued reaction throughout large swathes of it was, 'I'm too old for this shit'. Would I try more Burroughs?, yes. Would I persevere to finish them if they were similar to this?, not even close.

Book 29: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

kesey.jpg
Watching the movie with my dad as a close to double figures aged boy is one of my fondest memories (probably due to how inappropriate it seems now), and indeed it has gone on to be one of my favourite films. It was several years later in my teens that I realised it was based on Kesey's novel and I vowed to read it but again, never did. I'm so glad I finally have though. This was by far my favourite of these mid-20th Century classics and one of my favourites of the year so far.
The very unreliable narration from the Chief's point of view was spectacular and there were enough difference's from the movie to allow both works to continue as stand alone pieces without feeling the urge to have them compete for which is 'best', a lazy critique that I try to avoid at all costs.
Like Plath's The Bell Jar that I read a while back, the modern mind boggles at the techniques implemented in the treatment of mental illness in the not too distant past. Just as in Plath's book, the fine line the human mind balances on that can make even recognising who is and isn't mentally healthy is illustrated wonderfully in Kesey's book.
Dark matter is rarely this entertaining.

Book 30 was going to be The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer but after 4 days and what my Kindle tells me was 15% of the book read, I felt absolutely no desire to continue at this point in time. My mind was constantly drifting from the words on the page and whilst it's one I'd like to return to due to having enjoyed several of Mailer's works in the past, it wasn't working for me right now. So, onto something more contemporary...

Book 30: A Visit from The Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

egan.jpg
This was a whole lot of fun. I knew it had received several critical plaudits but the reader reviews seem far from unified. I'm definitely in the, 'It's a real page-turner, unputdownable!' column. Having read little past the review headlines however, I had no idea it is made up of 13 vignette style short stories connected by a group of characters that exist in the sphere of influence of a record producer, Bennie.
It's funny, it's modern, it's relatable, (although probably in an, 'I've seen too many '80s American movies' kind of way). The connectivity of the cast can at times seem a little contrived but that would be my only negative report, otherwise I loved every word of it.
The book wouldn't load on my Paperwhite model, hence the iPad photo, (I mainly read it on my phone which wasn't nearly as dire an experience as I thought it might be), and I suspect this technical failure was due to the penultimate chapter which, in a very postmodern way, is presented as a series of 70-odd PowerPoint slides! I instantly thought that this was little more than a gimmick and so close to the end of the book, worried that it may ruin an otherwise capital novel upto this point. I was wrong. Egan so skillfully presents a really moving diary in this chapter from a young girl's point of view as she documents her brother's fascination with pauses in music and the relationship she has with her parents, especially their annoying habits.
Like a great album, the sequencing of the chapters seems perfect to me but I guess technically they can be read in any order as the narration jumps across time and place throughout and one chapter doesn't lead to the other, the overall significance tying them all together as a novel only becoming apparent the further through them you read. With that in mind, if anyone is interested in reading the PowerPoint chapter, Great Rock and Roll Pauses By Alison Blake, Egan hosts it on her website, in full colour and even featuring embedded music where appropriate. Try it, it's great fun.

Last edited:
Finished it today.

12. View attachment 143469

Took me about 2.5 months. I thought it was great, though I will say I prefer Anna Karenina, I think. The segments of philosophy and the portions of war maneuvering get to be kind of a slog, but the main stories portions with Pierre, Natasha, Andrei, etc are rapturously good. I probably won't touch this one again for a while, if ever, while I'm already wanting to read AK again. Glad I did it though!
Congrats! I loved AK so much, so I feel like that would be hard to top.

Book 30: A Visit from The Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

This was a whole lot of fun. I knew it had received several critical plaudits but the reader reviews seem far from unified. I'm definitely in the, 'It's a real page-turner, unputdownable!' column. Having read little past the review headlines however, I had no idea it is made up of 13 vignette style short stories connected by a group of characters that exist in the sphere of influence of a record producer, Bennie.
It's funny, it's modern, it's relatable, (although probably in an, 'I've seen too many '80s American movies' kind of way). The connectivity of the cast can at times seem a little contrived but that would be my only negative report, otherwise I loved every word of it.
The book wouldn't load on my Paperwhite model, hence the iPad photo, (I mainly read it on my phone which wasn't nearly as dire an experience as I thought it might be), and I suspect this technical failure was due to the penultimate chapter which, in a very postmodern way, is presented as a series of 70-odd PowerPoint slides! I instantly thought that this was little more than a gimmick and so close to the end of the book, worried that it may ruin an otherwise capital novel upto this point. I was wrong. Egan so skillfully presents a really moving diary in this chapter from a young girl's point of view as she documents her brother's fascination with pauses in music and the relationship she has with her parents, especially their annoying habits.
Like a great album, the sequencing of the chapters seems perfect to me but I guess technically they can be read in any order as the narration jumps across time and place throughout and one chapter doesn't lead to the other, the overall significance tying them all together as a novel only becoming apparent the further through them you read. With that in mind, if anyone is interested in reading the PowerPoint chapter, Great Rock and Roll Pauses By Alison Blake, Egan hosts it on her website, in full colour and even featuring embedded music where appropriate. Try it, it's great fun.

It's been a few years since I read Goon Squad, but I really loved it. So much so that I went and read the rest of Jennifer Egan's works and made my wife do the same. She actually just finished Egan's newest novel: The Candy House the other day, so that's next on my list. She (my wife) didn't say much, because the less I know the better, but she said it had a similar style and some of the same "gimmicks" (email chapter instead of powerpoint chapter) as Goon Squad. Also, Bennie makes an appearance!

Book 16: The Sword of the Lictor by Gene Wolfe
IMG_1287.jpg
This one's part three of The Book of the New Sun, which I've been rereading sporadically this spring/summer. While book 2 was confusing on first read, Sword is the one which really clicked the first time around; so it was gratifying to return 1) already understanding the events of the book and 2) having a better understanding of books 1 and 2.

In this one, Severian the banished torturer finally reaches his destination from the first book, and takes up the mantle of head torturer for a city called Thrax. Basically having arrived at the place his initial destiny dictated, Severian starts having an identity crisis (for a number of bizarre, mind-bending reasons I'll let readers experience for themselves) and spends much of the book playing with different identities and trying to convince himself and the reader of his character.

Good read; nervous for part 4, because while it's the culmination, I remember a lot of weird digressions, meta-stories, and odd interactions.

Book 17: Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioneers: British Jazz, 1960-1975 by Duncan Heining (Equinox Publishing, 2012)

I finished this one earlier and phew, what a ride! As a huge fan of British jazz, this book really delves deep and paints an incredibly detailed picture of the scene (primarily London) during the 60's and early 70's. Despite the title, Trad Jazz only really comes up at the beginning with the majority of the jazz sections being the 'golden age' (Tubby Hayes, Michael Garrick, Mike Taylor, Mike Westbrook, Jon Hiseman, Don Rendell, Ian Carr, etc). The one downside, albeit a big one, is that the author randomly goes down political rabbit holes that seem to have very little to do with jazz and instead analyses Marxist views. As a result, the book goes from being incredibly fascinating to incredibly dry, especially during the last couple of chapters that seem to be dedicated to politics and void of any actual jazz. Its a real shame as without all the politics this would have been one of my favourite books that focuses on British jazz.

IMG_1524.JPG

Last edited:
It's been a while. Actually I had to go back and see what the last book I'd noted here, so sorry for the dump:

#11. Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel: A fun, interesting and easy read. I really like how ESJM drops easter eggs and layers characters between novels. I read it on a beach, and it worked because it's fairly light. I think I liked Glass Hotel and Station Eleven a bit better.

#12. Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro: what a beautifully written story and great change of pace (for me personally). A slow-ish moving tale about a traditional English butler in a society where butlers and manor staff are a dying breed. I didn't know much about this book and was surprised that it was from 1989. It seems older and wiser.

#13. The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson: My brother suggested this one. It's a bit of a tough read as it's quasi-scientific-climate fiction with several weaving stories that eventually center around a international organization called The Ministry for the Future, which is in charge of representing the interests of the future citizens of a planet in a climate disaster. Really interesting and thought provoking, but a bit dense.

#14. Go Ahead in The Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest by Hanif Abdurraqib: After Ministry, I needed a change of pace, and this was it. A series of essays about (And to) Tribe as Abdurraqib charts their (modest) rise and subsequent disillusion. Tribe is (probably) my favorite hip hop group ever, so this is right in my wheel house, and I really loved everything about it. The tone, style, and voice, shifts between essays in a beautiful way that pays much due respect to Tribe.

#15. Sing Backwards and Weep by Mark Lanegan: I had been prepared that this was "dark," but I was not ready. Holy shit, Lanegan lived a life. At times it seemed a bit overstated and embellished, but the crux of it can't be denied. RIP to the man.

#16. The Nineties by Chuck Klosterman: I grabbed this one on a whim... As someone whose formative years were the 90s and a fan of some of Klosterman's previous non-fiction (Fargo Rock City!), it wasn't a huge leap for me. It has some great insights, conclusions, things I had forgotten or glossed over, and is funny and engaging, but maybe a touch too dense. Even so, I enjoyed it a lot.

#14. Go Ahead in The Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest by Hanif Abdurraqib: After Ministry, I needed a change of pace, and this was it. A series of essays about (And to) Tribe as Abdurraqib charts their (modest) rise and subsequent disillusion. Tribe is (probably) my favorite hip hop group ever, so this is right in my wheel house, and I really loved everything about it. The tone, style, and voice, shifts between essays in a beautiful way that pays much due respect to Tribe.

An incredible book written by an incredible man. Glad you loved it!

• Cheers
Reactions: mgp
Book 26 - Homie - Danez Smith
1656553308617.png
I saw the audiobook for this was available on Hoopla and I like listening to poetry being read. I think this was probably my favorite of their collections (though I did also really like Don't Call Us Dead). It was a quick listen and I will probably go back and read through it again in the future.

Book 27 - Cantoras - Carolina De Robertis
1656553522699.png
This novel is set in Uruguay between 1978-2013 and mostly focuses around the time that it was under a dictatorship in the 70's and 80's. It follows a group of lesbians ("cantoras") who are trying to live their lives and carve out a place for themselves in an oppressive regime. Before reading this I didn't really know anything about the history of Uruguay and I am now eager to learn more. I liked this one a lot. I connected to each of the characters and I wanted everything to turn out well for each of them.

Might be light on updates for a little bit as I just started Nicholas Nickelby which is a bit of a chonkster but I am enjoying so far. I will probably pick up some things while working my way through it though, I'm also listening to the audiobook for Bad Blood about the Theranos scam but after having watched The Dropout on Hulu I'm not learning a whole lot of new information yet.

Book 26 - Homie - Danez Smith
View attachment 144313
I saw the audiobook for this was available on Hoopla and I like listening to poetry being read. I think this was probably my favorite of their collections (though I did also really like Don't Call Us Dead). It was a quick listen and I will probably go back and read through it again in the future.

Book 27 - Cantoras - Carolina De Robertis
View attachment 144314
This novel is set in Uruguay between 1978-2013 and mostly focuses around the time that it was under a dictatorship in the 70's and 80's. It follows a group of lesbians ("cantoras") who are trying to live their lives and carve out a place for themselves in an oppressive regime. Before reading this I didn't really know anything about the history of Uruguay and I am now eager to learn more. I liked this one a lot. I connected to each of the characters and I wanted everything to turn out well for each of them.

Might be light on updates for a little bit as I just started Nicholas Nickelby which is a bit of a chonkster but I am enjoying so far. I will probably pick up some things while working my way through it though, I'm also listening to the audiobook for Bad Blood about the Theranos scam but after having watched The Dropout on Hulu I'm not learning a whole lot of new information yet.

Homie is outstanding! One of my top poetry releases of the past few years. Danez is good people. Been a fan for some years now. Might have to track down the audio version of this sometime now that I know it exists!

Book 17

Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys, Andrew Weiner & Brittney Williams
20220701_170149.jpg

I have a few non-fiction books on the go right now that are in various stages of reading but took this out of my local library upon learning it exists. I love Alicia Keys and I love graphic novels so it was pretty exciting to discover this existed. It's a young adult-oriented coming-of-age story so it was a swift and sweet interlude to the other books I have on the go.

Book 18: Coltrane by Paolo Parisi (Jonathan Cape, 2012)

A really nice little graphic novel, around 128 pages. It's more of a snapshot of key moments in Coltrane's life over a cohesive story. But the illustrations are really lovely and it's such an easy read. Well worth checking out.

IMG_1789.JPG

Delayed updates here:

Book 6 - We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

A classic dystopian novel I had never read, I definitely got a lot out of it. Recommended, but takes time for sure.
20220522_191931.jpg

Book 7 - Horse: A Novel by Geraldine Books

A nice historical fiction inspired by a legendary 19th century race horse. Interesting read.
20220709_100636.jpg

I wish I had paid attention to this thread earlier, but then I've only been on this site since August, and have largely been lurking to get the skinny on new releases and deals.

I usually try to make sure I read at least 50 books a year, but around March or so, I noticed I was going at a decent clip, so I figured I'd set myself a goal of 100 for this year, something I've only done once or twice before. I tend to jump right into the next book when I finish, and usually have at least two going at once, but never two novels at a time. It'll be good for me to make sure I jot down impressions a bit as I go so as not to have each book vanish immediately into the ether for me. So, if you'll pardon and indulge, here is what I've read up to this point. Some, like Pride & Prejudice and 1984 were ones I taught in HS English classes and were re-reads. I'm going to try to hold myself to actually commenting on the books I read from here on out to the end of the year.

English Journey J.B. Priestley (1934)
Time Is Tight: My Life, Note By Note Booker T. Jones (2019)
The Sense Of An Ending Julian Barnes (2011)
Hollywood Censored: Morality Codes, Catholics, and the Movies Gregory D. Black (1994)
Pride & Prejudice Jane Austen (1813)
The Dream Life of Balso Snell & Miss Lonelyhearts Nathanael West (1931, 1933)
Marx And Marxism Gregory Claeys (2018)
The Movies, Mr. Griffith, And Me Lillian Gish (1969)
Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston (1937)
The Stone Face William Gardner Smith (1963)
Superman: The High-Flying History of America’s Most Enduring Hero Larry Tye (2012)
Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger (1951)
The Family Medici: The Hidden History of the Medici Dynasty Mary Hollingsworth (2018)
Fates And Furies Laruen Groff (2015)
Abolition.Feminism.Now Angela Davis, Gina Dent, Erica Meiners, and Beth Richie (2022)
Men Without Women Haruki Murakami (2017)
Mrs. Palfrey At The Claremont Elizabeth Taylor (1971)
Feel Free Zadie Smith (2018)
Paul Thomas Anderson George Toles (2016)
1984 George Orwell (1949)
A Son At The Front Edith Wharton (1923)
Remake The World Astra Taylor (2021)
The Paying Guests Sarah Waters (2014)
Class Struggle Unionism Joe Burns (2022)
Decline And Fall Evelyn Waugh (1928)
The Open Road Jean Giono (1951)
Angela Davis An Autobiography Angela Davis (1974)
The Emancipated Spectator Jacques Ranciere (2008)
Harlem Shuffle Colson Whitehead (2021)
Woman Running In The Mountains Yuko Tsushima (1980)
Paris 1919 Margaret MacMillan (2001)
If on a winter’s night a traveler Italo Calvino (1979)
Martin Dressler Steven Millhauser (1996)
The Coming of the Book Lucien Febvre and Henri-Jean Martin (1958)
Leaves of Grass Walt Whitman (1855)
The Cultural Front Michael Denning (1997)
Pan-Africanism Or Communism George Padmore (1956)
The Outsider Richard Wright (1953)
The Namesake Jhumpa Lahiri (2003)
Nightmare Alley: Film Noir and the American Dream Mark Osteen (2013)
The Blunderer Patricia Highsmith (1954)
Lessons on Rousseau Louis Althusser (2012)
Two on a Tower Thomas Hardy (1882)
White Tears Hari Kunzru (2017)
Watch My Smoke Eric Dickerson with Greg Hanlon (2022)
Pop. 1280 Jim Thompson (1964)
The Idea of America Gordon S. Wood (2011)
Barley Patch Gerald Murnane (2011)
Crossing to Safety Wallace Stegner (1987)

So my next book will be #50, making me a little behind schedule, but I think I can make up for it.

I've read a chapter or two every night before bed so far this year, but I've only managed to finish four books. 😅

Project Hail Mary
The Mists of Avalon

I've gone back to revisit some old TSR fantasy I loved growing up with the Dragonlance Chronicles series.

I'm giving The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss a reread at the moment; about halfway through The Name of the Wind.

Last edited:
Back