2022 Reading Challenge

I finished Mort a while back (I started and stopped this thing like four times in the past ten years or so. Don't know why, loved it).

I then read a book entitled Bacchanal by Veronica G Henry... Set in the depression. It's about a girl who has the power of telepathy with animals. She joins a carnival that is run by a demon. Hijinks ensue. It was pleasurable, nothing spectacular. Would be a nifty movie.

Currently 3/4 of the way through Waylon: An Autobiography by Waylon Jennings. He's not a great writer (and whoever edited it SUCKS) but he tells some great stories.

I've been keeping a tab open with running thoughts on my reads, but a restart wiped them. So y'all get some capsule reviews:

Book 25: Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
The story of an early-20th-century magician/illusionist. Loved the milieu, disliked the way the book started as a mystery, became a buildingsroman, then returned to the mystery as I was settled into the buildingsroman. Kinda icked out by all the women being defined by whether Carter wanted them or not.

Book 26: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Maybe I came at this one at the wrong time, but I wasn't very charmed; the writing felt self-satisfied in its laborious explanations of ironic situations, and kept setting up new characters with automotive-manual names and sight-gag quirks.

Book 27: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
A group of stodgy old men gather regularly to tell scary stories. The stories they tell are creepy and atmospheric; unfortunately, the book increasingly focuses on the old guys as the story develops.

Book 28: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Every generation is the monster, asking why they were born and demanding those responsible do at least something to make is somewhat better, and every older generation is Frankenstein, asking to be left alone to ask why god did this to them.

Book 29: Pet Sematary by Stephen King
Strong first 2/3. Maybe it's my problem as I knew where the story was going based on adaptations, but ~80 pages of grave robbing is too much for one grave. In The Shining, Halloran's trudging journey back to the Overlook is suspenseful because we cut back to hell breaking loose in the hotel. In Pet Sematary's final third, King gives us three separate Hallorans and no Jack Torrances.

Book 30: Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica
Effective as a broad allegory about capitalist consumption and factory farming, but kinda silly when you consider these people are raising other people for twenty years before slaughtering them like cattle. The writing style helps keep you focus on the former over the latter.

As hinted by the "people would resort to cannibalism before they'd go vegan" premise, this book doesn't present a very positive view on human nature, and often the author opts for adding brutal details or cruel events over fleshing (ha) out characters, story, or world.

Book 25: Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
The story of an early-20th-century magician/illusionist. Loved the milieu, disliked the way the book started as a mystery, became a buildingsroman, then returned to the mystery as I was settled into the buildingsroman. Kinda icked out by all the women being defined by whether Carter wanted them or not.
If it's any consolation, within a few years you will have forgotten every single thing about this book except the title.

Book 28: Mosaics: The Life and Works of Graham Collier by Duncan Heining (Equinox, 2022)

330 pages

Another fantastic biography from Equinox. I have read a few of these now (Lee Morgan, Tubby Hayes, Ian Carr, Stan Tracey) and they are generally really great. This one on Collier is really well written and goes into a lot of depth, although there does seem to be an emphasis on the later years and I personally prefer his earlier works. Still, a really good read. I wasn't that familiar with Collier as a person and he seemed like quite a confrontational character despite all he did for British jazz and jazz education.

IMG_8664.JPG

I’ve just finished Arkady Martine’s A Desolation Called Peace after devouring A Memory Called Empire in a single day last month. It’s a bit more unwieldy than its predecessor, but ambitious, well-written, and thoughtful, sort of Ursula Le Guin infused with a whisper of baser airport-novel pleasures.

I unreservedly recommend both books for any sci-fi nerds out there.

Book 28: Mosaics: The Life and Works of Graham Collier by Duncan Heining (Equinox, 2022)

330 pages

Another fantastic biography from Equinox. I have read a few of these now (Lee Morgan, Tubby Hayes, Ian Carr, Stan Tracey) and they are generally really great. This one on Collier is really well written and goes into a lot of depth, although there does seem to be an emphasis on the later years and I personally prefer his earlier works. Still, a really good read. I wasn't that familiar with Collier as a person and he seemed like quite a confrontational character despite all he did for British jazz and jazz education.

View attachment 155655
Mental note to check these out...

I’ve just finished Arkady Martine’s A Desolation Called Peace after devouring A Memory Called Empire in a single day last month. It’s a bit more unwieldy than its predecessor, but ambitious, well-written, and thoughtful, sort of Ursula Le Guin infused with a whisper of baser airport-novel pleasures.

I unreservedly recommend both books for any sci-fi nerds out there.
Intrigued by both of these since they won hugos (they seem determined to award the same series back to back these days) but shied away from them because they seem super dense. How hard of sci fi are we talkin?

Mental note to check these out...
It an interesting read. Collier was one of the few gay British jazz musicians that was publicly 'out' during the golden era and it was really interesting (and disappointing) to read that some of the public would write into British jazz magazines to 'educate' the label and suggest they drop him. Collier took it in his stride though and his responses were hilarious.

Generally he seemed like a unforgiving character when it came to his music. Certainly could be difficult to work with and it was nice to see that Duncan Heining (plus lots of assistance from Colliers partner) didn't hold back.

Intrigued by both of these since they won hugos (they seem determined to award the same series back to back these days) but shied away from them because they seem super dense. How hard of sci fi are we talkin?
Not diamond-hard by any means. Very readable, with likable characters and an intriguing universe. My comparisons to Le Guin stem mostly from the underlying elements of culture shock.

As I mentioned, I read the first book in a day while I was sick. Couldn’t put it down.

October's my month for all things creepy, spooky and that go bump in the night. A good bunch here for the most part.

Book 51: The Shining - Stephen King

shining.jpg
I started last year to tackle the King canon from the start having only read a few of his books as a kid and really enjoyed Carrie and 'Salem's Lot. Just one this year but one that I thought I knew really well having seen the movie several times. How wrong I was. The novel is really significantly different from Kubrick's treatment (unlike De Palma's Carrie which I found almost verbatim), so this was nice to have an almost totally different story with way more character history, more supernatural fantasy elements but I thought King captured less tension in the violence that Jack exhibited to his family than Kubrick and Nicholson. I've often heard 'too much description' said as a criticism of King's works. I wouldn't consider the heavily descriptive writing a problem, but I did find some of the digressions a little draining at times.

Book 52: Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi & Curt Gentry

helter.jpg
Not strictly speaking horror but as horrific as anything else I read this month. Having really enjoyed In Cold Blood and The Executioner's Song last year, I did a google search of 'Best True Crime Books' and this one seemed to frequently appear in the many online lists. This is definitely different in being written by a lawyer as a historic document rather than a professional writer as a novelisation. That being said, the book really captures the procedural aspects of law enforcement including its many failings. It highlights Bugliosi's fastidious and at times repetitive investigation that paints a vivid and pleasingly unglorified picture of the crimes and the perpetrators for his jury and to us, the readers. Long, but worth the effort.

Book 53: The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice

lestat.jpg
Another follow-up from last year's start with Interview with the Vampire. Unlike that first novel which I found to be an excellent, mature take on the vampire mythos, I found this second outing to venture a little too close to the YA style at times. Still, it wasn't wholly a wash, the story is after all told from a different narrator so I could accept the different voice used even if I didn't like it as much. Lestat tells a fascinating history, both personal and of the vampires who've come before him. The juxtaposition between ancient Egypt being worshipped as gods and appearing in a modern-day rock band being worshipped by a legion of teenage followers is kind of clunky but not altogether ineffective at expressing the relationship between vampires and mortals. I enjoyed it enough to consider book 3 for next year's reading list.

Book 54: Hex - Jenni Fagen

hex.jpg
With only a few days left in the month, I decided to squeeze in this 90-page beauty of a novella from Scottish author and poet, Jenni Fagen. I loved her Luckenbooth which I read last year to coincide with my trip to Edinburgh. I enjoyed this one even more. Through a series of seances, astral travel and dreams, a 21st century Iris dialogues with an imprisoned 16th century Geillis Duncan on the night preceding her fate with the executioner for crimes of witchcraft. Iris sympathises with the teenage Geillis, victim of sadistic torture and rape by her male interrogators and jailers while detailing a 21st century world where misogyny is still strong and finds women vilified for wearing certain clothes, for going out alone after certain hours, utilising well publicised instances such as policeman posing for selfies with murdered sisters. Her examples may seem heavy-handed, but these extremes seem both warranted and necessary. Well worth a few hours of your time.

October's my month for all things creepy, spooky and that go bump in the night. A good bunch here for the most part.

Book 51: The Shining - Stephen King

View attachment 155842
I started last year to tackle the King canon from the start having only read a few of his books as a kid and really enjoyed Carrie and 'Salem's Lot. Just one this year but one that I thought I knew really well having seen the movie several times. How wrong I was. The novel is really significantly different from Kubrick's treatment (unlike De Palma's Carrie which I found almost verbatim), so this was nice to have an almost totally different story with way more character history, more supernatural fantasy elements but I thought King captured less tension in the violence that Jack exhibited to his family than Kubrick and Nicholson. I've often heard 'too much description' said as a criticism of King's works. I wouldn't consider the heavily descriptive writing a problem, but I did find some of the digressions a little draining at times.

Book 52: Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi & Curt Gentry

View attachment 155843
Not strictly speaking horror but as horrific as anything else I read this month. Having really enjoyed In Cold Blood and The Executioner's Song last year, I did a google search of 'Best True Crime Books' and this one seemed to frequently appear in the many online lists. This is definitely different in being written by a lawyer as a historic document rather than a professional writer as a novelisation. That being said, the book really captures the procedural aspects of law enforcement including its many failings. It highlights Bugliosi's fastidious and at times repetitive investigation that paints a vivid and pleasingly unglorified picture of the crimes and the perpetrators for his jury and to us, the readers. Long, but worth the effort.

Book 53: The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice

View attachment 155844
Another follow-up from last year's start with Interview with the Vampire. Unlike that first novel which I found to be an excellent, mature take on the vampire mythos, I found this second outing to venture a little too close to the YA style at times. Still, it wasn't wholly a wash, the story is after all told from a different narrator so I could accept the different voice used even if I didn't like it as much. Lestat tells a fascinating history, both personal and of the vampires who've come before him. The juxtaposition between ancient Egypt being worshipped as gods and appearing in a modern-day rock band being worshipped by a legion of teenage followers is kind of clunky but not altogether ineffective at expressing the relationship between vampires and mortals. I enjoyed it enough to consider book 3 for next year's reading list.

Book 54: Hex - Jenni Fagen

View attachment 155845
With only a few days left in the month, I decided to squeeze in this 90-page beauty of a novella from Scottish author and poet, Jenni Fagen. I loved her Luckenbooth which I read last year to coincide with my trip to Edinburgh. I enjoyed this one even more. Through a series of seances, astral travel and dreams, a 21st century Iris dialogues with an imprisoned 16th century Geillis Duncan on the night preceding her fate with the executioner for crimes of witchcraft. Iris sympathises with the teenage Geillis, victim of sadistic torture and rape by her male interrogators and jailers while detailing a 21st century world where misogyny is still strong and finds women vilified for wearing certain clothes, for going out alone after certain hours, utilising well publicised instances such as policeman posing for selfies with murdered sisters. Her examples may seem heavy-handed, but these extremes seem both warranted and necessary. Well worth a few hours of your time.
If you liked Jenni Fagan, I'd give Kirsty Logan a shot - kind of the Glasgow equivalent.

Book 33
on track ... Blue Öyster Cult: every album, every song by Jacob Holm-Lupo
20221031_132516.jpg

While I absolutely abhor the cover, layout and design in general of this book, fortunately the content proved much better - it still has a bit of the ol' self-published feel, but it's a very thoughtful and in-depth look at the BÖC catalogue. I'm extra glad I waited a few years from my original interest before picking this up as I unknowingly wound up with a revised and expanded edition that included the 2020 album and brief notes on all the recent live releases as well. Definitely wouldn't recommend this to anybody who isn't already a BÖC fan, but I was very pleased with it.

Book 29: Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (George Allen & Unwin Ltd, 1966 Second Edition)

424 pages

Back when I was at school I remember reading The Hobbit a few times and really enjoying it. I also attempted The Fellowship Of The Ring but never got past the first few chapters so I decided to have another crack at it now, 15 years later. Have to admit that it was hard work for the most part. Not complex or tricky to grasp but just so dull. There are only so many descriptions of paths, forests, and trees that I can take. The bits that did captivate me really paid off though and overall it was enjoyable. Personally, and I rarely agree with this, I much prefer the film. However, a friend did say that the next 2 books do pick up and are more engaging so maybe I will give them a go as well.

IMG_8821.JPG

I have not been keeping up with this thread. I'll have to do a lightning round of everything I read since my. last post:

37. Fangs - Sarah Andersen 4/5 - Cute graphic novel about a werewolf dating a vampire.
38. The Final Revival of Opal and Nev - Dawnie Walton 3.5/5
39. The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry 4/5 - Liked the book a lot, haven't finished the Apple TV show yet but I'm not loving it.
40. Little Gods - Meng Jin 3.5/5 - I didn't connect with this one quite as much as I thought I would.
41. Burial Rites - Hannah Kent 4/5 - I enjoyed this one quite a bit too.
42. Time Is a Mother - Ocean Vuong 4/5 - I think I still prefer On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, but I still really liked this collection.
43. A Single Man - Christopher Isherwood 3.5/5
44. Christodora - Tim Murphy 4/5
45. The Tea Dragon Society - Kay O'Neil 3.5/5 - Very wholesome fantasy graphic novel about tea and friendship
46. The Tea Dragon Festival - Kay O'Neil 4/5 - See above. I liked this one more because it felt like a fully fleshed out story on its own
47. Pachinko - Min Jin Lee 5/5 - One of my favorites of this year!

I am currently reading:
Nicholas Nickelby - Charles Dickens (The book that will never end, I am enjoying it though)
The Tsar of Love and Techno - Anthony Marra (Finished about half of the stories and am really enjoying how they are interconnected)

Back