Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Now, evidence of poor achievement in virtual classrooms is beginning to emerge nationwide: In the Independent School District in Houston, more than 40 percent of students are earning failing grades in at least two of their classes, according to data reported by the Houston Chronicle. Likewise in St. Paul, Minn., where the superintendent recently reported that nearly 40 percent of St. Paul Public Schools high-schoolers have failing marks, local TV station KARE reported.

I was worried that this would happen with virtual school.
We had to send our oldest (13) back for this very reason. She was too distracted by all the trappings of having a Chromebook with access to the internet. She would have her Zoom call going but also had Discord or Google Hangouts open and would be on those instead of doing her work or listening to the teacher. She was so far behind that we had to create a schedule of all the work she had to do to catch up. She did it but it was excruciating, especially for my wife who would sit 6 feet from her and always catch her switching to a different window whenever my wife would glance her way. After she went back, it was 180 degrees different. She's completely engaged. She does her work. She chimes in on discussions and group work where she never did previously. She's back with her friends and is enjoying seeing them every day.

Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether to post something in the political thread or here because this is so closely tied to politics in the US. Here's another one of those articles that I could post either place. A lot of health systems are under reporting employee illness and deaths because they are stating that the healthcare worker could have gotten Covid some place other than work. This was particularly problematic in the earliest days of the pandemic because OSHA got very lax with workplace safety in hospitals and other health care settings. Because of the under reporting, OSHA hasn't really been investigating hazardous workplace conditions in health care facilities and long term health care resident facilities.

KHN examined more than 240 deaths of health care workers profiled for the Lost on the Frontline project and found that employers did not report more than one-third of them to a state or federal OSHA office, many based on internal decisions that the deaths were not work-related — conclusions that were not independently reviewed.

Work-safety advocates say OSHA investigations into staff deaths can help officials pinpoint problems before they endanger other employees as well as patients or residents. Yet, throughout the pandemic, health care staff deaths have steadily climbed. Thorough reviews could have also prompted the Department of Labor, which oversees OSHA, to urge the White House to address chronic protective gear shortages or sharpen guidance to help keep workers safe.

The negative link with A blood type is small but it seems real. It's been identified in multiple different ways so far. We're talking a 4-5% difference at most I think though. This is one of these things that may be more interesting to researchers than it is useful in practical terms - to help understand the mechanisms involved in disease progression.

So, this is a VERY small study so there's no real statistical power behind these numbers, BUT the correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and negative Covid symptoms/outcomes is really compelling. Vitamin D supplements are readily available, not that expensive, and there is little harm in taking them, so this along with your sage tea could help protect against adverse coronavirus symptoms.

Evidence from observational studies is accumulating, suggesting that the majority of deaths due to SARS-CoV-2 infections are statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be prevented by vitamin D supplementation. Given the dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic, rational vitamin D supplementation whose safety has been proven in an extensive body of research should be promoted and initiated to limit the toll of the pandemic even before the final proof of efficacy in preventing COVID-19 deaths by randomized trials.

So, this is a VERY small study so there's no real statistical power behind these numbers, BUT the correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and negative Covid symptoms/outcomes is really compelling. Vitamin D supplements are readily available, not that expensive, and there is little harm in taking them, so this along with your sage tea could help protect against adverse coronavirus symptoms.

Evidence from observational studies is accumulating, suggesting that the majority of deaths due to SARS-CoV-2 infections are statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be prevented by vitamin D supplementation. Given the dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic, rational vitamin D supplementation whose safety has been proven in an extensive body of research should be promoted and initiated to limit the toll of the pandemic even before the final proof of efficacy in preventing COVID-19 deaths by randomized trials.

I was actually going to mention this, but I'm always worried of sounding too optimistic about something. The correlation with vitamin D has come up multiple times as well - there was even a Radio Lab on it IIRC. Let me put it this way: I take 1000 U of vitamin D every day - I was already doing that prior to this. But I told my parents to start taking it as well. It's cheap, very low risk, and aging people have a diminished capacity to produce it anyway.

I was actually going to mention this, but I'm always worried of sounding too optimistic about something. The correlation with vitamin D has come up multiple times as well - there was even a Radio Lab on it IIRC. Let me put it this way: I take 1000 U of vitamin D every day - I was already doing that prior to this. But I told my parents to start taking it as well. It's cheap, very low risk, and aging people have a diminished capacity to produce it anyway.
I supplement as well for a few reasons, mainly office life and also hormone productions as an athlete. It is not entirely without risk. News like this needs to be tempered with precautions against massive overdoses which anyone who would consider taking hydroxychloroquine would likely do.

Hopping on - I also take a vitamin D supplement daily. My parents have started since their doctors told them about the potential COVID benefits.

I supplement as well for a few reasons, mainly office life and also hormone productions as an athlete. It is not entirely without risk. News like this needs to be tempered with precautions against massive overdoses which anyone who would consider taking hydroxychloroquine would likely do.
This is precisely why I mentioned it here. I figure most of us are smart enough to supplement without overdosing. But just to cover all my bases, yes, you can overdose on vitamin D. From the Mayo Clinic:

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Treatment includes stopping vitamin D intake and restricting dietary calcium. Your doctor might also prescribe intravenous fluids and medications, such as corticosteroids or bisphosphonates.

Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day.

Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame.

I go with a higher dose of vitamin D every day, but I have a vitamin D deficiency and have been instructed to by my doctor.

I should have added that I take it on the recommendation of my doctor. I was told it can help with the muscle ache side-effects that are sometimes associated with atorvastatin. And my dad, who is taking various medications and is in remission from cancer did ask his doctor before starting. It's the sound thing to do, especially if you are taking other medications.

a giant chunk of the population is vitamin D deficient in North America for sure.

I've loved the news about these potential benefits since it's prob the only thing I've done consistently healthwise since I was in junior high. my annual panels are always pretty stellar.

now, just about every other habit I have is detrimental :LOL: but what's a gal to do?

My friend just sent me an email telling me that his company let him know this morning that he will be working from home permanently, not just through Covid. He works for a big corporation, big-three related. I wonder if this is the direction most big corps will go? As it is, most of the CAD friends I have are home until at least June of 2021.

Seems like it'll be a strange economic transition; there are tons of office buildings out there that just won't be populated anymore. That affects caterers, linen companies, cleaning companies just to name a few off the top of my head. The ripple effect will have to be pretty noticeable.

My friend just sent me an email telling me that his company let him know this morning that he will be working from home permanently, not just through Covid. He works for a big corporation, big-three related. I wonder if this is the direction most big corps will go? As it is, most of the CAD friends I have are home until at least June of 2021.

Seems like it'll be a strange economic transition; there are tons of office buildings out there that just won't be populated anymore. That affects caterers, linen companies, cleaning companies just to name a few off the top of my head. The ripple effect will have to be pretty noticeable.
Supposedly many people who only work via computer will be remaining at home at my big corporation as well. They, along with some people who will be coming back, have been home since March.

Just curious, what industry do you mean when you say big three? Tech?

The auto industry - so Ford/GM/Chrysler
Tons of my friends got into CAD in college in the late 80s early 90s and ended up with those companies or their suppliers.
Cool, I am also in manufacturing but still need to do some hands on for my job so we have been rotating about half to a third of my small group in the office. We will be going back to full when it is safe.

One of the things I find Mind Boggling right now is that some healthcare systems are not paying their employees when they are out due to to COVID.

A few people from the Mid West that I follow on Snap Chat who are nurses have ranted in the last couple weeks of how when they test positive their job makes them quarantine / stay at home without pay for 2 weeks. They find that completely unacceptable. They got COVID from work and then told they can't work because of COVID.

Policies form work do not allow them to use PTO / Sick time when they are out due to COVID. And they have to be out for 2 weeks or more to be eligible for short term leave insurance which would only cover 60% of their pay when it kicks in. So, unless they are out for more than 2 weeks with COVID, there is no pay.

This angers me hearing about their stories. How is it acceptable that healthcare workers on the front line are treated this way?

I'm a data analyst for a fortune 500 company and I've worked from home for 8 years. I think jobs like mine should and will go remote--it's already an industry trend in insurance. There are still corporations that want their people in the office and some jobs it's absolutely necessary to be on site but a lot of corps are seeing that it's cheaper to leave people at home. And most people would gladly give up their commute so it's a win for both.

I think there is going to be a pendulum swing away from the office, followed by a swing back for workers that they realize shouldn't have been remote (or should only be partially remote). What I see as more of a trend is not that they will stop using office buildings, but instead, these buildings are going to be smaller, with shared work stations for people who work remotely part of the time. Offices aren't going away, they are just going to be more of a gathering place for teams on their day to be in the office.

Another trend I can see staying around is the virtual conference. We have to travel to get me and my coworkers together, which is something we did usually once a year. This year, we have been doing virtual conferences and meetings and that isn't going away. It's so much cheaper for companies to do than pay for everyone's plane ticket, hotel and per diem.

Offices aren't going away, they are just going to be more of a gathering place for teams on their day to be in the office
That's true, my buddy said they will still have an office building with work stations they can use while in the building, but it won't be anything close to the way the building was populated before. I guess that's where my thoughts on the ripple effect as far as companies that provide services to those buildings (and people within) came in. Those companies will have to find a new way to stay afloat...new ideas are needed.

This year, we have been doing virtual conferences and meetings and that isn't going away.
I have another friend that said he's been having very productive virtual meetings, and they get started with greater expedience. He can call for one and usually in five minutes they are underway, rather than finding an open conference room, waiting for people to travel between buildings, etc.

I've now seen two local bars in my small town that are ignoring the mandate to do carry out only. These are both places I frequent and wouldn't call the health department on...and yet I'm conflicted. I got carry out from one of these establishments last night and there were people drinking at the bar, clearly not there just to get carry out. The other one has outdoor patios and heaters, and yet while the street parking around it was full, nobody was on the patios, the patrons were all inside instead and the blinds drawn on the front window.

I have to assume that someone will wander in either place for a growler fill or a carry out and leave with enough irritation to report them. I just wonder why these establishments are taking the chance? I guess they are willing to pay any fines that come, and it doesn't sound like any of the bars or restaurants are being threatened with losing their liquor license.

Here's an example of a Michigan proprietor flat-out refusing to stop indoor seating/dining.

Back