Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

They couldn’t give you the option of working from home for a bit?
My job role needs at least some people hands on in the factory, so we have been rotating who is in the office and who is working from home. I normally am never there the same day as the person who tested positive, but was covering for someone else. I don't go back until Thursday and hope to have the results of the tests my wife and I got out of precaution, Sunday, by then.

My wife has been feeling really lousy with body aches but nothing worse so far. I feel like I have extra bad allergies, which isn't necessarily out of the ordinary. Hopefully both are coincidences, but it is hard not to really worry about it.

Last edited:
Covid causing Diabetes?

Shuibing Chen, a stem-cell biologist at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City, and her colleagues showed that the virus can infect the organoid’s α- and β-cells, some of which then die. Whereas β-cells produce insulin to decrease blood-sugar levels, α-cells produce the hormone glucagon, which increases blood sugar. The virus can also induce the production of proteins known as chemokines and cytokines, which can trigger an immune response that might also kill the cells, according to the study8 published in Cell Stem Cell on 19 June.

Chen says the experiments suggest that the virus can disrupt the function of key cells involved in diabetes — either by directly killing them or by triggering an immune response that attacks them.

The virus also attacked pancreatic organoids that had been transplanted into mice, and cells in liver organoids. The liver is important for storing and releasing sugar into the blood stream when it senses insulin.

The organoid study8 adds strength to the argument that SARS-CoV-2 might cause or worsen diabetes, but the paper itself is not enough to prove the link, says Tahrani.

Just in case you didn't catch it on the other thread, Chris Christie has been hospitalized with COVID after hanging out with the Donald.

This tally is inching higher and higher.

Crede Bailey, the top official in charge of the White House security office, tested positive prior to September 26 and has been hospitalized, with his condition described as “gravely ill,” according to Bloomberg News.

According to ABC News, an internal memo distributed among senior FEMA leadership on Wednesday indicated that the White House outbreak “has infected ‘34 White House staffers and other contacts’ in recent days.”

General Thomas, the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday.

[Stephen] Miller, who is President Trump’s senior policy adviser, speechwriter, and the architect of the Trump administration’s war on immigrants, announced that he had tested positive on Tuesday.

Two military aides to Trump tested positive, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday: an active-duty officer who serves as his valet and Jayna McCarron of the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard admiral, who attended a maskless indoor reception for Gold Star military families at the White House on Sunday, September 27, tested positive on Monday.

[Kayleigh McEnany] On Monday morning, the White House press secretary announced in a statement that she has tested positive. McEnany has been briefing reporters frequently in recent days, often not wearing a mask.

Intelligencer’s Olivia Nuzzi reports that Pastor Greg Laurie of Riverside, California tested positive. Laurie had attended the Prayer March on the Mall with Mike Pence and Franklin Graham in late September,

[Melania Trump] The First Lady’s positive test was reported at the same time as the president’s.

[Hope]Hicks’s positive test was initially reported on Thursday night, hours before the president’s. Hicks reportedly tested negative on Wednesday morning — the night after the presidential debate — and boarded Air Force One, where she was with the president and several senior staff members.

The Washington Post reported that three journalists who had been at the White House tested positive on Friday. The only one of the three identified was the New York Times’s Michael Shear.

Late Saturday, Bloomberg reported that [Nick] Luna had also tested positive for COVID-19.

Politico reported late Friday night that [Bill] Stepien, who traveled to and from Tuesday’s debate in Cleveland aboard Air Force One, and had also met with Trump on Monday at the White House, has tested positive for COVID-19

Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chairwoman, tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday,

On Friday night, [Kellyanne] Conway announced that she had tested positive for COVID-19

Chris Christie on Saturday

Thom Tillis, another Republican Senator in attendance at the Rose Garden tests positive

[Ron Johnson] The Wisconsin Republican’s test results were announced on Saturday morning, but it’s not clear if Johnson was exposed to anyone in the White House cluster.

[Father John Jenkins] The college president, who was in attendance at Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination (she teaches at Notre Dame), announced a positive test on Friday morning.

My wife was exposed to a kid at her school and is in quarantine protocol now. We are setting up separate living arrangements until the 19th.

Knowing how closely she works with these kids, who can't wear masks, I give it a decent probability one/both of us catches it.
How’s it going?

How’s it going?
So far so good, thanks for asking.

I've taken the basement/master bedroom/bath and she's got the living room/spare bedroom/bath. I'm not really sure how effective our efforts will be, as there are still unavoidable shared spaces, but we've been keeping our distance and sanitizing as best as possible.

At some point later in our quarantine we'll probably both get tested just to be sure, but right now we're at best not infected and at worst asymptomatic so counting our blessings up to this point.

Between you, me, and the rest of the internet, we've been trying for a baby for the past few months, and quarantining during the peak part of the month is probably the most frustrating aspect of all of it.

A new, horrible thing for us in the US to deal with. If ACA is gone, it is likely that insurers will call Covid a pre-existing condition.

As the Supreme Court weighs whether to strike down the ACA in its entirety, including its protections for people with preexisting conditions, the COVID-19 pandemic is adding many thousands of Americans to the group of who may be unable to get or afford insurance coverage. The pattern of pandemic spread will determine the exact number, but a reasonable rule of thumb is that approximately half of all new COVID-19 infections will occur among relatively healthy nonelderly adults without a known preexisting condition.

We're now in the all clear based on when my wife was exposed. Neither us nor any other staff who were exposed got sick, so I'm guessing either the kid wasn't yet contagious or their PPE actually worked. Either way, I'm grateful.

She's back at school today. I'm guessing it's not long until another exposure the way things are currently going in Ohio.

Nervously awaiting a government press conference. Expectations from the cabinet meeting leaks are back to full lockdown for the entire country for the next six weeks.
Doesn’t make any sense. Cases and death rates are still so low for you. Au revoir economy.

Doesn’t make any sense. Cases and death rates are still so low for you. Au revoir economy.
Death rates are low. Cases are high. Bear in mind that you have something in the line of 20x our population when you look at our figures. I think the thinking is that doing it now allows us to have everything up and running a lower instance in December for the Christmas rush. One thing thats clear is that everyone is going to have to have at least one more during this pandemic.

Last edited:
Death rates are low. Cases are high. Bear in mind that you have something in the line of 30x our population when you look at our figures. I think the thinking is that doing it now allows us to have everything up and running a lower instance in December for the Christmas rush. One thing thats clear is that everyone is going to have to have at least one more during this pandemic.

To be honest, it's better to stabilize early rather than later in the curve. People may not understand and it takes guts for the officials to do so, but it's best in the long run.

We took a while to start taking serious measures over here during the 2nd wave (not a full lock down though). It worked and they managed to stabilize the situation, but it's still steady at 1000 cases a day. Not great, but better than the exponential increases we were getting until a couple weeks ago. It would have been better if they had acted sooner and stabilized at a lower number of daily cases (and some measures could be relaxed faster).

To be honest, it's better to stabilize early rather than later in the curve. People may not understand and it takes guts for the officials to do so, but it's best in the long run.

We took a while to start taking serious measures over here during the 2nd wave (not a full lock down though). It worked and they managed to stabilize the situation, but it's still steady at 1000 cases a day. Not great, but better than the exponential increases we were getting until a couple weeks ago. It would have been better if they had acted sooner and stabilized at a lower number of daily cases (and some measures could be relaxed faster).

TBH we’ve had amongst the strictest regimes in Europe over the last 4 or 5 weeks but it’s not flattened the curve, this is an attempt to do that early and have the country up and running to spend in December.

Back