Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

To be honest, it's better to stabilize early rather than later in the curve. People may not understand and it takes guts for the officials to do so, but it's best in the long run.

We took a while to start taking serious measures over here during the 2nd wave (not a full lock down though). It worked and they managed to stabilize the situation, but it's still steady at 1000 cases a day. Not great, but better than the exponential increases we were getting until a couple weeks ago. It would have been better if they had acted sooner and stabilized at a lower number of daily cases (and some measures could be relaxed faster).
The science is starting to back this approach too. The WHO is recommending that lockdowns be short and sharp, but not the end all of coronavirus containment strategy. I was just reading about all this and the lockdowns in Wales, here:

But I would just like to take out a lovely graphic from the article:
1603140248813.png

Ouch.

A frustrated and at times foul-mouthed President Donald Trump claimed on a campaign call that people are tired of hearing about the deadly pandemic which has killed more than 215,000 Americans and trashed Dr. Anthony Fauci as a "disaster" who has been around for "500 years."
Referring to Fauci and other health officials as "idiots," Trump declared the country ready to move on from the health disaster, even as cases are again spiking and medical experts warn the worst may be yet to come.
Baselessly claiming that if Fauci was in charge more than half a million people would be dead in the United States, Trump portrayed the recommendations offered by his own administration to mitigate spread of the disease as a burdensome annoyance.

Covid is getting worse. Trump says people are getting tired of hearing about it and called the health officials idiots.

Sighs.

Despite high rates of Covid 19, India and African countries are seeing far fewer deaths. This puzzling phenomenon is not so puzzling once considering the population make up.

As leads of the COVID-19 team in the African Academy of Sciences, we have followed the unfolding events and various explanations put forward. The emerging picture is that in many African countries, transmission has been higher but severity and mortality much lower than originally predicted based on experience in China and Europe.

We argue that Africa’s much younger population explains a very large part of the apparent difference. Some of the remaining gap is probably due to under reporting of events but there are a number of other plausible explanations. These range from climatic differences, pre-existing immunity, genetic factors and behavioural differences.

Given the enormous variability in conditions across a continent – with 55 member states – the exact contribution of any one factor in a particular environment is likely to vary. But the bottom line is that what appeared at first to be a mystery looks less puzzling as more and more research evidence emerges.

Personally, I am happy with this. As a person who ended up crying over the thought of how many people in the third world would die from Covid 19, this is both a relief and rather logical. Unfortunately, the life expectancy in a third world country is much less than here.

We're now in the all clear based on when my wife was exposed. Neither us nor any other staff who were exposed got sick, so I'm guessing either the kid wasn't yet contagious or their PPE actually worked. Either way, I'm grateful.

She's back at school today. I'm guessing it's not long until another exposure the way things are currently going in Ohio.

This is why I don’t think schools should be open, especially with younger and students with disabilities. The constant change can be more damaging.

This is why I don’t think schools should be open, especially with younger and students with disabilities. The constant change can be more damaging.
But at the same time, I'm not sure if my oldest could handle virtual classes. He's so behind and his disabilities make it hard for him to understand both the written and spoken word (I really suspect SPD here) that sometimes the only instruction he's able to take is hand over hand. None of these decisions are easy.

TBH we’ve had amongst the strictest regimes in Europe over the last 4 or 5 weeks but it’s not flattened the curve, this is an attempt to do that early and have the country up and running to spend in December.

Just watched the news about Ireland and Wales. Be patient, I hope things will get better after these six weeks. There isn't much more to do for now.

Just watched the news about Ireland and Wales. Be patient, I hope things will get better after these six weeks. There isn't much more to do for now.

No exactly. Lockdown starts midnight tomorrow so going to get my hair cut and do a couple of jobs tomorrow and bed down for 6 weeks. Hopefully my crazy levels don’t increase too much...

Last edited:
No exactly. Lockdown starts midnight tomorrow so going to get my hair cut and do a couple of jobs tomorrow and bed down for 6 weeks. Hopefully my crazy levels don’t increase too much...

I believe otber countries will have to do the same. I don't see how things can turn better without it. Here in France we are not in a lockdown yet but I think it's just a matter of time.

I believe otber countries will have to do the same. I don't see how things can turn better without it. Here in France we are not in a lockdown yet but I think it's just a matter of time.

Yeah definitely, every country has at least one of these to come over winter. The govt’s thinking is to go early to get the R rate down before December to allow people some form of normality over Christmas. Fingers crossed it works as intended!

If people in the states don't start getting a clue it's gonna happen here too, just a question of time.

Yeah definitely, every country has at least one of these to come over winter. The govt’s thinking is to go early to get the R rate down before December to allow people some form of normality over Christmas. Fingers crossed it works as intended!

Yeah I am not sure our French government really cares about the people. It's all about economy now here.

Britain is worse. The way the government acted towards Greater Manchester was a disgrace. Fucking bojo the clown.

Yeah, I haven't been following the situation very closely in other countries but considering how Bojo start dealing with all this Covid situation, I am certain he is not the right person to help the people.

Yeah I am not sure our French government really cares about the people. It's all about economy now here.

Britain is worse. The way the government acted towards Greater Manchester was a disgrace. Fucking bojo the clown.
LOL, y'all, have you seen our (US) government response to Covid lately?? Or ever?

I just found out that our water/sewer utility (in greater Boston) is testing sewage to identify outbreaks. The trend is really not pretty.

graph1021.JPG

Back