Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

So I guess you don't have to self-quarantine while you wait for the results? That shouldn't be happening over here because you have to stay home waiting for the result. But we're actually heading towards a different issue because it can take days to get results. So knowing that you have to stay home for days once you get a test (or stay home with your kids if they are tested), people may not get tested unless they have clear symptoms or they are told to by the health authorities.

We could never do what Sweden did as an entire country, but perhaps a more measured approach is needed on a state by state or even county by county basis. Our country is more akin to the entire European Union in terms of heterogeneity and population, but our healthcare system is a mess and our population is extremely individualistic.

However, Sweden got hammered for their approach and their deaths per million are better than Belgium, UK, Spain, and Italy. We also don't have the full picture yet. Spain has relatively unaffected areas spiking again, and I fully expect second waves come fall/winter in other countries that locked down hard unless a vaccine comes.

We will be able to make that "death toll" call next year, but it was too early to excoriate their approach given their specific circumstances back in April/May or even now.
We could never do what Sweden did because we do not have universal health care. The thing that would help the most for everyone is if legislation was passed that guarantees any expense related to coronavirus gets covered by the government at 100%. If we don't pass this legislation but continue to open everything up, we are heartless idiots.
It's so strange to me to see people say "I don't wanna be someone's guinea pig!"

like.... there are currently several stages of trials with thousands of people who are already doing that. When they approve and mass produce they are saying that it is safe and effective for mass use. People are idiots.

This is the only thing that makes sense^ if the supply is short, let those have it first who really need it.
What happens if you take this and you have something like a suspected autoimmune condition prior to taking the vaccine? In these trials, are they only using adults? (the answer is probably adults only) I do have a tough time trusting a vaccine unless there is some data about existing conditions and that risk--and I want hard science here. The other issue is that this is probably not being tested on kids because IRBs don't just give out a bunch of okays to experiment on kids. It is hard for me to want to give my kids this vaccine before it's been widely tested in children.

We could never do what Sweden did because we do not have universal health care. The thing that would help the most for everyone is if legislation was passed that guarantees any expense related to coronavirus gets covered by the government at 100%. If we don't pass this legislation but continue to open everything up, we are heartless idiots.

What happens if you take this and you have something like a suspected autoimmune condition prior to taking the vaccine? In these trials, are they only using adults? (the answer is probably adults only) I do have a tough time trusting a vaccine unless there is some data about existing conditions and that risk--and I want hard science here. The other issue is that this is probably not being tested on kids because IRBs don't just give out a bunch of okays to experiment on kids. It is hard for me to want to give my kids this vaccine before it's been widely tested in children.

These two articles discuss the race to vaccines and some of the issues you rightfully bring up:

The underlying issue is that we may very well have convincing data on efficacy by the fall, especially if the vaccines are being tested in high incidence areas like the US and Brazil. But that is not enough time to really understand if there are any serious side effects.

The troubling thing is that your administration may want to force the approval of an effective (but unclear if safe) vaccine to create an "October surprise".

Last edited:
The troubling thing is that your administration may want to force the approval of an effective (but unclear if safe) vaccine to create an "October surprise".
this is my wife's concern. trust me, we're just about the furthest thing from being anti-vaxx but the Trump administration has loosened the guidelines in so many instances that there is a real concern that this could be pushed out the door before it is really known what side effects there may be. with her line of work she'll be required to get the vaccine early on. even Bill Gates had said things back in April to the effect of that if enough trials (like animal testing) aren't done he won't release the vaccine without indemnity.

Thinking about this more. Melbourne is taking strict action when new daily numbers are only 671 new cases in a day. When compared to Florida, who is taking no action and has 3.5 times the population and 15x the number of daily cases is doing nothing. It shows where our political priorities lie. Health, lives and wellbeing for our population is what's most important here in the United States.

Activists are calling on the pharmaceutical firm Gilead Sciences to study a drug for the treatment of Covid-19 that showed promise in curing cats of a coronavirus.

The drug, called GS-441524, is chemically related to remdesivir, an antiviral also made by Gilead, and one of the only treatments to successfully shorten the duration of Covid-19 recovery.

There's a FB group "FIP Warriors" where members swap information on how to obtain (from China) the drug, often for thousands of dollars a dose.

From the article:
Programs born of good intent for reasons of national security and convenience no longer fit the bill. Instead of keeping our children and most vulnerable healthy and productive, we are now sicker than we were post-Depression. A 2018 report filed by Mission: Readiness, a council of retired admirals and generals who advocate for policies that help kids stay healthy, in school and out of trouble, stated that, "In the United States, 71 percent of young people between the ages of 17 and 24 do not qualify for military service," noting exceptionally high rates of obesity starting as early as age 2.
The numbers have flipped, and so have the health conditions. Fewer Americans are physically ready for work and war than in 1945, yet, instead of being underweight and malnourished, they are overweight and malnourished.
Now during this pandemic, our industrialized food system, optimized for efficiency over resilience, seems to be failing. One only has to witness farmers dumping milk and fresh produce and see the Depression-era-style lines wrapped around food banks to realize the depths of our food crisis. Now is the time to both address nutrition insecurity and support regional and specialty farmers.

The first time this issue pinged on my radar was when I was finishing up school and working for a public health non profit in NOLA. We were seeing extreme "food deserts" in the NOLA neighborhoods that were hit hardest by H. Katrina. A food desert is a place with no grocery store access to fresh foods like fruit, veggies and meat. These neighborhoods are often kept afloat by small convenience stores, but unlike a New York bodega, our NOLA stores only sold convenience foods, nothing fresh. We worked with these small corner stores and got subsidies for them so they could add fruit and veggies to their stores. This was always a problem, but we didn't have a massive event to clue us in until now. We throw away so much nutritionally dense foods due to spoilage and our current programs are focused on calories instead of nutritional value. I really, really hope that we start to re-examine our food production and pivot away from calorically dense but nutritionally devoid foods as staples of the American diet and start talking about nutritional value in a real way. Local farmers should be shipping food to school cafeterias, not Tyson or ConAgra.

Florida has now recorded 6 deaths of kids/teenagers.

To date, the youngest child included in Florida’s COVID-19 death toll is a 9-year-old girl from Putnam County. The other deaths were an 11-year-old boy from Miami-Dade, an 11-year-old girl from Broward County, a 16-year-old girl from Lee County and a 17-year-old from Pasco County.

A 19-year-old male from Gadsden County is also included in Florida’s COVID-19 death toll, but because he is older than 18 he is not counted in the state’s pediatric report.

However, Florida continues to move forward with plans to reopen all schools. The general attitude is deaths of kids are quite rare an acceptable losses we must face so the economy does not suffer.

this is everything that is wrong with this country right now

Yup, and did you happen to catch Trump's interview with Jonathan Swan of Axios yesterday, or at least highlights from it. Tump totally dug himself into a hole there. It was so bad.

When asked about the current deaths in the US Trump's answer was "It is what it is". When pushed further about COVID-19 deaths and the US being the worst in the world Trump said that is not true at all. He starts looking at graphs / printouts in hand is starts listing off how we are actually doing better than China, South Korea, Most Europe. Jonathan Swan was dumbfounded and had no idea what Trump was talking about. Trump could tell this and to prove the point Trump shares his Graph. Then Jonathan Swan picked up on it. Trump's data was based on deaths per positive test. Not deaths per capita. And he called Trump out on that. Trump's response was you can't go by deaths per capita. You can't do that.

Trump also said multiple times during the interview that we are doing an amazing job. We are doing everything that we possible can.

Back