Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

WAIT. Am I understanding correctly that the ban is passport-based, meaning that only Europeans are restricted from coming here?!

so...I can still go to Europe, do whatever I want, and come back home?

WHAT GOOD DOES THAT FUCKING DO

The logical part of me wants to think that just means Americans that are already over there can come back, but you wouldn't be allowed to travel there....

Too little too late. It’s already here. It’s already a worldwide problem.
yes, it's already in the U.S. but that doesn't mean that you don't take measures to slow down the spreading. Italy is under lockdown, did they do that too late? if so should they not implement the lockdown? also, not sure how well this measure would have been received before being named a pandemic.

yes, it's already in the U.S. but that doesn't mean that you don't take measures to slow down the spreading. Italy is under lockdown, did they do that too late? if so should they not implement the lockdown? also, not sure how well this measure would have been received before being named a pandemic.
Agreed. But half measures aren’t going to address the underlying issues and an odd kinda bitchy travel ban will not slow the spread now. By the time the government takes appropriate action thousands of people will already be dead. You gotta go hard with this type of thing ASAP. They should have been promoting the idea EVERYONE doing a voluntary isolation/quarantine stint two weeks ago but definitely now. Things are gonna get really bad really fast and Leadership won’t start addressing the issue realistically until the body count rises and by them it will be too far spread to actually address the issue in any meaningful manner.

Agreed. But half measures aren’t going to address the underlying issues and an odd kinda bitchy travel ban will not slow the spread now. By the time the government takes appropriate action thousands of people will already be dead. You gotta go hard with this type of thing ASAP. They should have been promoting the idea EVERYONE doing a voluntary isolation/quarantine stint two weeks ago but definitely now. Things are gonna get really bad really fast and Leadership won’t start addressing the issue realistically until the body count rises and by them it will be too far spread to actually address the issue in any meaningful manner.
the U.S. couldn't go hard with this right away even if they wanted to. we still have a severe shortage of tests to correctly identify those who are already here and have it to know how bad it actually is right now, and knowing who does and doesn't have this virus now it's crucial. the main thing is to not overwhelm hospitals and hospital workers, but if we can't even test them to know if they can potentially be spreading it while trying to treat others is a real problem.

not sure where you are located but I'm in Westchester, NY which I believe has the largest cluster of confirmed cases for a specific area in the U.S. and the Governor has been addressing the issue realistically on the daily and urging us to self quarantine for at least a week now.

not trying to be combative because lord knows I don't have the answers, but what is the meaningful manner in which to address this situation? I do disagree with the sentiment that it's too late to implement certain measures. just because it should have been done sooner doesn't mean that you give up on it entirely because you didn't.

also, just because I agree that certain drastic measures should be taken doesn't mean that I don't recognize that certain actions will create additional unforseen and expected problems. like you said, things are going to get really bad and that includes much more than the spread of the virus.

the U.S. couldn't go hard with this right away even if they wanted to. we still have a severe shortage of tests to correctly identify those who are already here and have it to know how bad it actually is right now, and knowing who does and doesn't have this virus now it's crucial. the main thing is to not overwhelm hospitals and hospital workers, but if we can't even test them to know if they can potentially be spreading it while trying to treat others is a real problem.

not sure where you are located but I'm in Westchester, NY which I believe has the largest cluster of confirmed cases for a specific area in the U.S. and the Governor has been addressing the issue realistically on the daily and urging us to self quarantine for at least a week now.

not trying to be combative because lord knows I don't have the answers, but what is the meaningful manner in which to address this situation? I do disagree with the sentiment that it's too late to implement certain measures. just because it should have been done sooner doesn't mean that you give up on it entirely because you didn't.

also, just because I agree that certain drastic measures should be taken doesn't mean that I don't recognize that certain actions will create additional unforseen and expected problems. like you said, things are going to get really bad and that includes much more than the spread of the virus.

well in Wu Han there were doing about 200 ct scans a day. Have people with portable CT scanners showed up in Westchester?

Yes, from the perspective here the travel ban is a right measure , though it is a little strange to single out the eu versus other countries. Reeks of him trying to pin it on foreign forces without stepping measures up in the us appropriatly. European countries should think about the same ban for flights from the us because less travel is generally helpful in these times and i guess we are far from the peak in the us.
Edit: reading more about trumps speech the thing seems more about controlling the narrative than the spread of the virus because travel bans seem to be his only measure and he wants to cast the impression that the rise in us cases is due to imported cases and not due to his administrations failures. (like being weeks behind on tests)

Last edited:

Yeah, I am in Tacoma WA. I think we pretty much agree. My point wasn’t that they shouldn’t do these things my point is that they are being reactive instead of proactive. The test thing is an absurd, other countries have tested 10’s of thousands of people we can’t even get the few tests we have where they need to be. The whole thing is a shit show. I think I am venting because I have to go work in a building with a thousand other co-workers while leadership hems and haws on whether we should be working from home or not (we have mobile workstations and VPNs for a reason) but they won’t pull the trigger until my office has to be quarantined.

The test thing is an absurd, other countries have tested 10’s of thousands of people we can’t even get the few tests we have where they need to be. The whole thing is a shit show.

Yeah....some countries are doing roadside testing...but a doctor here has to fight to get a single patient tested. The criteria to just be considered testable is crazy.

I'm sure it's a numbers thing to Trumpy....as long as we don't test a lot, there isn't a higher number.

And what I read today about the info being considered CONFIDENTIAL is ludicrous. More people will die because the information isn't getting out.

It sucks that this is what it will take for some people to see how bad the current administration is, but they are going to fall on their face with this pandemic.

well in Wu Han there were doing about 200 ct scans a day. Have people with portable CT scanners showed up in Westchester?
I honestly didn't know that it was a CT scan that is being used to test for the virus. my wife is a nurse here and she always called it a "test kit" but I never actually asked her what the test was. regardless, whatever the test is she has informed me all along that there is a shortage of tests in the area, so it seems that people aren't showing up with them here.

I honestly didn't know that it was a CT scan that is being used to test for the virus. my wife is a nurse here and she always called it a "test kit" but I never actually asked her what the test was. regardless, whatever the test is she has informed me all along that there is a shortage of tests in the area, so it seems that people aren't showing up with them here.

the usual test is not with CTs , but from samples taken from the nose and/ or throat.

How is the test carried out?

In most cases, the test involves taking a throat swab or a throat-nose swab from the patient. The Robert Koch Institute also recommends that, in the case of a well-founded suspicion, samples should not only be taken from the upper airways but also from the lower airways, for example from coughing up secretions from the bronchi or lungs.

What happens with the samples?

The samples are tested for coronavirus in diagnostic laboratories. The procedure is based on a so-called polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Such tests take about five hours and have become standard procedures in laboratories. They are also used to clarify hereditary diseases or to determine paternity.

In PCR, a specifically selected piece of DNA is copied and multiplied in a thermocycler in order to search for specific DNA pieces, such as coronavirus. The method then shows whether and how many pathogens are present in the body. In viral infections, this is called the "viral load."

from How does testing for the coronavirus work? | DW | 04.03.2020

Yes, from the perspective here the travel ban is a right measure , though it is a little strange to single out the eu versus other countries. Reeks of him trying to pin it on foreign forces without stepping measures up in the us appropriatly. European countries should think about the same ban for flights from the us because less travel is generally helpful in these times and i guess we are far from the peak in the us.
Edit: reading more about trumps speech the thing seems more about controlling the narrative than the spread of the virus because travel bans seem to be his only measure and he wants to cast the impression that the rise in us cases is due to imported cases and not due to his administrations failures. (like being weeks behind on tests)
I know this is in the Trump thread but I am not looking at this in any kind of partisan way at all. there were already travel bans with China and Iran in place before this European ban, so not sure I agree that Europe is being single out right now. I would assume if there were as many cases elsewhere, say for example South America, as there are in Europe that the same thing would happen there. the temperature of the people here that I have spoken to/conversation I have overheard is that no one wants to travel, especially to places like Italy, because as you said less travel to these places lowers the risk of getting/spreading the virus. so it seems people were kind of self-implementing a travel ban here before Trump officially put one in place.

I am not saying that I have any comfort in the thought of a travel ban, just as I don't have any comfort that schools and businesses are being closed and that there is a containment zone about a quarter of a mile away from where I live due to the outbreak. I do though understand that reducing exposure/contact is one way to help attempt to keep the number of positive cases from increasing while treatment and vaccination is being worked on since that will take quite a while. so limiting travel, cancelling large events, closing large gathering places such as schools, etc. is a necessary action to help keep numbers down, as painful and tragic as it may be.

the usual test is not with CTs , but from samples taken from the nose and/ or throat.
yeah, that was kind of what I assumed the test to be. I didn't think CT scans were being used to test for Coronavirus, but since I wasn't sure what the actual test is I didn't want to assume that people showing up with portable CT scanners was not the correct method.

yeah, that was kind of what I assumed the test to be. I didn't think CT scans were being used to test for Coronavirus, but since I wasn't sure what the actual test is I didn't want to assume that people showing up with portable CT scanners was not the correct method.

I would guess the Cts are more to check the lungs for additional complications that often lead to death in These corona infections like pneumonia

Yeah, I am in Tacoma WA. I think we pretty much agree. My point wasn’t that they shouldn’t do these things my point is that they are being reactive instead of proactive. The test thing is an absurd, other countries have tested 10’s of thousands of people we can’t even get the few tests we have where they need to be. The whole thing is a shit show. I think I am venting because I have to go work in a building with a thousand other co-workers while leadership hems and haws on whether we should be working from home or not (we have mobile workstations and VPNs for a reason) but they won’t pull the trigger until my office has to be quarantined.
yes, we were definitely ill prepared for this and did not have enough proactive measures in place as we should have for any kind of viral outbreak of this capacity. the writing was on the wall months ago, especially with the hindsight we have today of what we're dealing with. but it seems there's also the specificity of this particular virus that we're still figuring out how to deal with (containment and treatment), so you can only be so proactive when something we haven't seen begins to run amok.

obviously Trump's initial down playing (to put it mildly) of this outbreak was horrible and certainly helped make things worse here in the states. that said at least his tone has shifted on the situation. not saying he deserves any praise but at least he's finally doing something to try and help the current situation. but yes, certainly more proactive measures would have been much more helpful.

anyway, be safe. it's bad there in WA with this virus. hopefully we'll all get through this as soon as we can!

Last edited:
It's over, everyone. The economy is over. Society is about to crumble all around us and I think your elections will be postponed till next year. I don't see how you can have an election if infrastructure is collapsing all around with the dead and dying are on trollies in hospital corridors because that is what's coming. Things are going to get really bad.

yes, we were definitely ill prepared for this and did not have enough proactive measures in place as we should have for any kind of viral outbreak of this capacity. the writing was on the wall months ago, especially with the hindsight we have today of what we're dealing with. but it seems there's also the specificity of this particular virus that we're still figuring out how to deal with (containment and treatment), so you can only be so proactive when something we haven't seen begins to run amok.

obviously Trump's initial down playing (to put it mildly) of this outbreak was horrible and certainly helped make things worse here in the states. that said at least his tone has shifted on the situation. not saying he deserves any praise but at least he's finally doing something to try and help the current situation. but yes, certainly more proactive measures would have been much more helpful.

anyway, be safe. it's bad there in WA with this virus. hopefully we'll all get through this as soon as we can!

But we do know what to do. We've had the blueprint for a long time following SARS, it's just the West didn't take notice.

Back