Zu Audio Soul Mk II Review

Great review and information! My Zu Omen Dirt Weekends arrive today. While they are different speakers, I will be referencing you're speaker setup notes @HiFi Guy I'm curious if they require similar positioning or not. They are taller, not coaxial and are traditionally shaped. I'm also nervous, since I've been waiting to get these for years. Now I wait like a dog at the door for the UPS truck to show up...

It’s so exciting waiting for a new piece of equipment on delivery Day!! Best of luck!!

View attachment 7605
This is where I settled after A LOT of experimenting. I have this position marked on the floor for easy reference. Toe in is crossing a foot in front of me. But everything snapped into place right there. Every once in a while I’ll try facing them near straight, just messes things up. Have fun finding the sweet spot! (TWSS)

I originally had mine toed more aggressively, but after spending a while fiddling with it I found I got a surprisingly good image by targeting a spot about three feet behind the center listening position. Had the added benefit of making the whole system sound better for off-axis listeners.

Thanks for the write up @AnthonyI! Although you only focused on the speakers, I bet that trip was an awesome time. Great breakdown and loving hearing other's input on these. Especially with comparing to the LSiM, which is no slouch on it's own.
Well since this was about the Souls and a second opinion on a review I didn't want to side track into our shenanigans and just give a small opinion of the speakers. BUT......It was great to hang out with both @HiFi Guy and @Colonel_Angus, vinyl was spun, good food was had and crates were dug through ;)

The salsa was what you'd expect from an authentic Mexican restaurant. Silky texture, bursting with robust flavor, not too hot & not too tame either. Mama Bear would've approved. Had the Shrimp Taco's contained lettuce, this would've been a 10/10 from me. All in all, would recommend Los Generales.

Oh, and the speakers were phenomenal.

Insightful write up. Thank you.

I just picked up a used pair of Souls in walnut a few weeks ago. Still pretty early but I’m really happy so far.

My reference point has been the KEF LS50’s I’ve had the last two plus years.

The Souls are much more dynamic and large sounding, with realistic tone. They are punchier and better in “PRAT”, musicality, whatever you want to call it. More alive sounding.

They will definitely let you know if it’s a bad recording though, where the LS50’s made everything sound pretty good.

In short range, the KEF coax does the wide dispersion and pin point imaging thing better, but the Souls can play to a larger room with less watts. Works out well as I have a lower powered amp and just moved into a larger space.

Off work tomorrow and get to spin records most of the day 🤘🏽BB782F7F-AE47-42F7-8352-87CBF3D98001.jpeg

Insightful write up. Thank you.

I just picked up a used pair of Souls in walnut a few weeks ago. Still pretty early but I’m really happy so far.

My reference point has been the KEF LS50’s I’ve had the last two plus years.

The Souls are much more dynamic and large sounding, with realistic tone. They are punchier and better in “PRAT”, musicality, whatever you want to call it. More alive sounding.

They will definitely let you know if it’s a bad recording though, where the LS50’s made everything sound pretty good.

In short range, the KEF coax does the wide dispersion and pin point imaging thing better, but the Souls can play to a larger room with less watts. Works out well as I have a lower powered amp and just moved into a larger space.

Off work tomorrow and get to spin records most of the day 🤘🏽

Thank you, and welcome! I like the American Walnut. Beautiful.

What did you get?

Looking at your tabs, a pair of Souls? What finish?
Yep! American Walnut. The 1 year trade in policy was coming up, and I was comfortable making one more big upgrade, so I decided to try out the Souls. I have an agreement with Zu, which was their idea, btw, that will allow me to hold onto my DWs so I can do a side by side comparison with the the Souls for a few weeks, in case the difference isnt worth the extra cost. Presuming they are, it will be great to get everything but shipping I paid on the DWs applied to the Souls. Basically borrow the DWs for a year for about $100.

Last edited:
Back