Your Collection - By the numbers 2021

Added: 215
Purged: probably around 20-30
Total: 1113

Safe to say my collection got a bit out of control… hopefully I can rein things in next year. I currently have plenty of storage, but not enough income to keep this up!
Additional breakdown of the acquisitions:

65 new
150 used

My New Year’s resolution is generally to buy less (especially new vinyl), which will be difficult considering my interest in upcoming Blue Note reissues, David Bowie’s 90s output (which should be getting individual reissues soon), and Neil Young’s large bag of archives. I’m thinking my goal will be to add no more than 100 albums (if I stick to the same ratio, they’ll be approximately 30 new and 70 used).

Edit: The next step of my analysis was to look at where I bought each album from, to get a better sense of how often I buy from each place:

Local shop: 83 (only 13 of which were > $10)
Yard sales/private collections: 63
Other record stores: 2
Target/SOV/UD (I’m treating these as one because I only buy from them when there are deals): 22
Amazon: 12
PBC: 8
Bandcamp: 5
Discogs: 4
Plaidroom: 3
eBay: 2
VMP: 1 (the Sonny Sharrock album I ordered 7 months earlier)

The numbers don’t add up perfectly because I didn’t include one-off purchases from N&G members, imports, or directly from the label/artist’s website (i.e. places I don’t regularly order from).

Last edited:
I'm game, not sure how you're thinking of doing it though? Discuss :)
We could +/- in here at a cadence of the user’s choice - weekly or monthly probably makes the most sense.

I envision it as a more nerdy/stat heavy version of fresh grabs…

Edit: kind of like how the your last week thread is a more nerdy/stat heavy version of what’s spinning.

Purchased: 229
Purged: big fat zero (going to have to soon due to space)
Net Gain/Loss: +229
Collection size to date: 1751
went a bit mad buying this year, i do need a clear-out as I'm running out of space and I coming to realise that Quality trumps quantity
I have several that remain sealed, nothing that I haven't heard as I have been streaming as well although the time spent streaming has halved from the previous years figures, it was 74,000 mins the previous year but I have switched to going back to listening to online radio a lot during the working day

We could +/- in here at a cadence of the user’s choice - weekly or monthly probably makes the most sense.

Edit: kind of like how the your last week thread is a more nerdy/stat heavy version of what’s spinning.
So maybe a running lead post that can be updated bi-weekly/Monthly/As user posts, showing the following?

AnthonyI
Collection size to date (2021):
Purchased: 123
Purged: 75
Net Gain/Loss: +48
Last Updated: 01/01/2022

I like the idea of monthly updates. I’ve been kinda doing that with my “Fresh Grabs” already, but could use the incentive to track my purges.

Back